Panasonic EH69 and Region Designation. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've not opened the EH69 box I received a couple of days ago and (I'm sorry to remain a bit confused about "regions", although I know commerical DVDs produced and sold for use in the US are Region "1") and not on the tope of the as yet unopened EH69 box the words: "Region Management Information. This DVD recorded is designed and manufactured to respond to the region management information. If the region nunber of a playback only disc does not correspond to the region number of this DVD recorder, the disc cannot be played. The Region number for this DVD recorder is Region No. 2."

Does this mean that any discs "made" with this EH69 can only be played on Region 2 DVD players (as it seems to say so directly), obviating playing on any Region 1 players such as my Panny BD30 and others I've used in teaching, and that Region 1 commercial or other Region 1 discs I've made in my EH55 and EH75 cannot be played on this EH69 machine?

I would, of course, set this EH69 as a NTSC device.

Should I be returning the EH69 for a refund because I've misunderstood the compatibility issues or keep it for the same reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
All DVD recorders produce "all-region" discs so they can be played anywhere with the approp. NTSC/PAL equipment. It's *only* commercial discs that are restricted to the specified code for that region.

More info here.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Also the manual is a bit confusing because the converting to all region playback is done after the fact by a third party and the manual doesn't reflect that.
Don't worry, it will act just like your EH-55/75v except it has the ability to playback DVDs of all regions.
Actually it's better because unlike the EH-55/75v you can set the wide screen bit if you want to 16:9 for recording.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

...Does this mean that any discs "made" with this EH69 can only be played on Region 2 DVD players (as it seems to say so directly)...

To answer this directly, the answer is NO! The disks you make are region free. As it came from Panasonic, it would only PLAY region 2 encoded disks, OR region 0 (zero) encoded disks, or region free disks. Your EH69 has in all probably been modified to ignore region coding, and therefore the region is irrelevant. As jjeff said, the modification is not reflected in the manuals or packaging, so ignore them.

If you are concerned, try playing back a region 1 commercial DVD and see if it plays properly. It should, thus proving the EH69 to be region free.

Be a little cautious when buying commercial disks from region 2 as most of them are PAL, not NTSC, and the EH69 does not convert the video to NTSC, even if you have NTSC selected as the television system. If your television can display PAL like mine can, you are fine, but if not, you will need a PAL to NTSC converter, and that is a whole "other" big problem/issue.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 AM

Liked: 14
Just to back up what others have said, the EH69 (if purchased from a grey imports site in USA) will be region free for playback and of course recording. It will play all PAL and NTSC discs. If the manual says its a specific region just ignore that. My Australian purchased Australian model panasonsic recorders are supposed to be region 4 only for playback but panasonic Australia opens all DVD recorder arrivals and makes them region free before distributing to retailers. If one slips through the cracks they simply tell you to take it to a service center and then they use the 'special' remote control to make it region free. Some other brands inc blu ray players require a little chip/module to be fitted. These days the whole DVD region fiasco is a non event for most. I still laugh when i come across older discussions on forums from 5 or 6 years ago with people getting all upset and disapointed because a DVD was only available on R1 region and they 'couldn't buy it' and not on our region 4. Probably 70% of my DVD's are R1 and i just modded my R4 LG DVD player to region free staus by myself. Many DVD's inc commercial are also being made region free/all regions these days too. I am surprised at how many R2 DVD's i buy are actually 'all region' even when the cover says R2.

I have not studied the EH69 real deeply but is there no option at all to output a PAL60 signal? I know with my EZ48 it will convert a NTSC 3.58 tape or DVD to NTSC 4.43. I guess i may have read it before but i thought there may have been an option for a psuedo PAL/NTSC output. Now that i think of it i have seen on some sites selling the EH69 that it will output a PAL disc as a PAL signal and output a NTSC disc as a NTSC signal and wont convert a PAL disc to a NTSC or PAL60 signal. I guess for some in US with a NTSC only TV that would have been a good option to have. I think the good part for you though is that it will accept a NTSC signal from the AV inputs and will make a NTSC DVD and record to the hard drive in NTSC which you can then play on your NTSC TV. Thats pretty good since the EH69 is not a domestic USA recorder and was never intended to be primarily sold in USA.

If you only have a TV that will accept NTSC another way could be to get a multi system TV. These are available in USA. I have seen them on a lot of websites. Probably the place you bought the E69 has them.

I think the best option would be to get a cheap (but still good) $100 or under DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC and leave your EH69 as a dedicated recorder. Using the EH69 for continuously playing region 2 or 4 PAL discs or any discs for that matter is only going to shorten its life as a recorder.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Perhaps my best direction is to simply record a couple of DVD-Rs (from the line output of my STB [S-Video to S-Video] and play them on my BD30 Panny player. The DVDR is only meant to be a backup player to my dedicated DVD player, so as not to overwork the player in the DVDR; in fact, after finalizing a DVD-R in my EH55, I play that newly-made DVD in my BD30 player, and, if I give or lend a so-made DVD as a gift to friends it has always played in their conventiuonal players.

One reason I'm a bit nervous about the so-called "region-free" or Region 0 coded DVDs is that I've purchased a couple of Region 0 DVDs on EBay from reliable sellers and neitherof those DVDs would play in any of my players, i.e., the BD30, a Panny DVD-RV32, my EH55 or my EH75. So, from my limited experience, there's nothing very "universal" about Region 0 DVDs or region-free DVDs (I'm still not sure of the difference between the two types, if there is one).
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Region 0 is not an offical code anymore... from the help file I linked to:

Home-made DVDs PRODUCED in this or any DVDR will be auto-coded for ALL regions, 1-8, for playback anywhere with NTSC equipment. A computer app. like DVD Decrypter will show the Region code of discs YOU produce in this DVDR as "Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8."

The coding of discs with ALL the Region numbers ASSURES that they'll play anywhere in the world on NTSC equipment. Discs identified as "All" are also coded with all the Region numbers. Region 0 is not an official code and was used in the early days of DVD until the studios enforced "Regional Coding Enhancement" to stop their use.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

One reason I'm a bit nervous about the so-called "region-free" or Region 0 coded DVDs is that I've purchased a couple of Region 0 DVDs on EBay from reliable sellers and neitherof those DVDs would play in any of my players, …So, from my limited experience, there's nothing very "universal" about Region 0 DVDs or region-free DVDs (I'm still not sure of the difference between the two types, if there is one)..

Although region 0 is not an official code many of the smaller distributors mark the covers of region-all flagged discs as region 0. With my experience discs marked as region 0 are indeed flagged as all-region.

Do not confuse region flags with NTSC or PAL formatting. I’m guessing that the discs you purchased off eBay are in fact all-region (flagged as all-region but marked as region 0) but in PAL format.

PAL Disc with all region flags (on the cover marked as region 0) in America.

1) Your DVD players must be able to convert PAL to NTSC on the fly in order to be playable on an American NTSC TV.

2) If your American TV can play PAL then your DVD player must at the very least playback PAL signals as PAL.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page