EH69 Power Cord Doesn't Fit in EH69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've upacked the EH69 DVDR, connected the power cord with the US power adaptor and appropriate audio/video inputs and outputs, but the power cord male plug for the deck appears to be just a little bit larger than the DVDR's power cord input receptacle at the left rear of the deck so the plug goes in but stops what appears to be about 3/16" - 1/4" short of completely fitting. Of course the male plug seems to be exactly the same whichever way it's turned and I've tried both ways. Still, the power cord cannot be completely inserted and, of course, the DVDR's power does not come on.

By the way, I'm assuming the power requirements themselves have been converted to the conventional US 120 V standard.

Any assistance would be most welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried again and I notice that the input plug seems a little longer than the standard and that may be why it does not fully fitt all the way into the female receptacle; howver, it does fit far enough into the AC input that the plu itself stops as if it's up against a barrier; i.e., that seems to be as far as it will go.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Um, I've never had the problem with any of my EH59/69s. Yes, the power cord APPEARS to not go in completely, but it always makes electrical contact, so I didn't care. It depended on the depth of the molded plastic around the connector. It was the plug end that had me going for a while, until I found the round pins to blades adapter in the box.

Along with the power cord you are using, is there another one with a different wall plug in the accessories box? If that one plus into the back of the machine properly, just snip off the end, and attach a cheap plug from Home Depot, or any other hardware store. On page four of the instructions, it shows a number of possible power cords. Mine was for the Middle east, and came with two power cords.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

from OP:

I pressed even harder and wiggled the adaptor and replugged it into another two prong socket on the extension cord and at least it came on briefly with the patented "please wait" Panny notice on the display. Then it went off so I know there's potentially a connection here somewhere, however brief. I'll keep working on it. Maybe I can get someone better at wiring to improve the buiness end of the power cord if it turns out that it's not the dubious connectiohn to the AC input on the DVDR itself.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, I have had access to four of these machines, and I've never seen anyhing like this. I believe one of these will be a replacement for your power cord, IF it's the cord and not the connector in the machine. You might be able to find one cheaper elsewhere, but $2.57 is pretty inexpensive. That model uses a non polarized connection, unlike the US models which all had polarized power connections.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Sometimes the receptacle in the actual power cord gets crimped smaller or pushed back into the molding of the power cord.

Try a different power cord.

From your description of it being intermittent, looks like the pin/recepticle just isn't right. Take a close look at the cord end.

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
-----------------------------------
post #7 of 30 Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Recently I came across an AC cord that looked like a standard Panasonic/Technics AC cord but it would not fit the Panasonic AC receptacle. Perhaps this AC cord was from another brand device.

Perhaps the seller provided such an AC cord without realizing that it was not correct.

That's part of the adventure of having gray-market goods.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 30 Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, folks, for helping me with this. I did enough pushing and twisting to make the connection, although it will potentially loosen each time I plu it in and I may have to rig a cord with a better connector on each end.

As to the setup, it went remarkably smoothly since I didn't have to deal with the coax cable in any way, let alone long-gone TVGOS. The operation is a bit different in that one option seems to be to open Functions when the power is turned on, unless my EH55 and I can decide whether I was engage that option (this EH69 is to be my backup for when my EH55 or EH75 eventually fail). I had to play around a bit with the function choices to work with the edit function (i.e., the default seems to be under Navigator just to deral with the instant recording and when I divided my test recording I initially couldn't find the pre-divide piece directly but another choice gives me a look at all the recordings and their pieces before deletion.

While I remembered the 24-hour clock (which doesn't bother me--I've been in the Army and in Europe, with a distinct preference for the latter), I first forgot the day-month-year protocol and tried to set a timer recording on May 30, 2012 as 5-30-2012 and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I tried it again more slowly the second time and noted that while I could slot in the "5" for May, when I tried to slot in the "30" for the date, only the "3" showed up. An additional minute so of thought came up with a "eureka" that the date must be in European protocol. I switched to 30-5-2012 and I was in.

One last thing: the ability to preset the program name on a roster of scheduled timer recordings is an improvement. It's something I missed when my old EH80 expired and I purchased the EH55 as a replacement and had to put up with the after-the-fact titling.

Thanks again for all your help and that also goes for the folks that advised me to completely ignore the EH75 setup process. (I still haven't got that one set up to both let me do timer recordings and set the clock.)
post #9 of 30 Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

As to the setup, it went remarkably smoothly since I didn't have to deal with the coax cable in any way, let alone long-gone TVGOS. The operation is a bit different in that one option seems to be to open Functions when the power is turned on, unless my EH55 and I can decide whether I was engage that option (this EH69 is to be my backup for when my EH55 or EH75 eventually fail).

Yes it's nice to not have to deal with the whole TVGOS thing on the internationals. AFA the "open functions" option, I've not seen that on any domestic Panasonic and personally I don't like it so I skipped that option. Another thing I do like about the EH-59 is the ability to turn OFF the external clock, personally I've got too many clocks to look at so it's nice to be able to at least turn OFF this one. With the clock OFF the front is totally black until the unit is turned on. It's also nice to be able to "pre-title" scheduled events, the older Panasonics also had this but the TVGOS ones totally relied on TVGOS and if you didn't have it, you had to title after the fact.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks, folks, for helping me with this. I did enough pushing and twisting to make the connection, although it will potentially loosen each time I plu it in and I may have to rig a cord with a better connector on each end.

Jim, Please take actions to correct the power cord issue without delay. Loose or poor connections = resistance, resistance = heat, heat can = fire if it surpasses the ignition temperature of the plastic compound used for the connector.
See if you may have a power cord on another electronic device that fits appropriately, then take that cord to match a suitable replacement you can purchase.
I do not wish to sound harsh or abrupt, but this is not something one should take lightly.
post #11 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'll check to see if the connector for the EH80 is still around the house; otherwise, I think I'll have to order a power cord from Panasonic (one for the current line of DVD players, for example?), and graft the EH69's adaptor to the end of the cord so I can plug the USA AC end into the appropriate receptacle on my surge suppressor that I use for my display/STB/BD player/VCR setup. Have I got your idea correct about replacing the cord?

Also, I'll have another (but unrelated question tomorrow) question about recordings of TCM-shown older films. I recorded an early 1960s' film from TCM as a test of the EH69 and sunsequently copied it to DVD-R. I have no reason to think it was other than a 4:3 sample. I've recorded hudreds of old films from TCM for my home library. The recording on the new DVD copy only occupied about the center 80% of the screen, with the rest of the space, both horizontal and vertical, surrounding the image, black. It seems to much the same effect as recording a hi-def channel with the EH55 (I usually try to avoid this and it's easily done because most hi-def channels also have an SD equivalent (e.g., in Seattle, SD channel 9 is the same as hi-def Channel 109, and TCM's SD Channel 501 is the same as hi-def Channel 701).

In any event, the EH55 and EH69 are both set to a 16:9 ratio and I'll test them early tomorrow by recording the 1954 "The Wild One" on each recorder and check to see if the results visually differ. I'll report tomorrow on this test.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Like I said, I have had access to four of these machines, and I've never seen anyhing like this. I believe one of these will be a replacement for your power cord, IF it's the cord and not the connector in the machine. You might be able to find one cheaper elsewhere, but $2.57 is pretty inexpensive. That model uses a non polarized connection, unlike the US models which all had polarized power connections.

^^^
post #13 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

... I'll have another ... question about recordings of TCM-shown older films. I recorded an early 1960s' film from TCM as a test of the EH69 and sunsequently copied it to DVD-R. I have no reason to think it was other than a 4:3 sample. I've recorded hudreds of old films from TCM for my home library. The recording on the new DVD copy only occupied about the center 80% of the screen, with the rest of the space, both horizontal and vertical, surrounding the image, black. It seems to much the same effect as recording a hi-def channel with the EH55 (I usually try to avoid this and it's easily done because most hi-def channels also have an SD equivalent (e.g., in Seattle, SD channel 9 is the same as hi-def Channel 109, and TCM's SD Channel 501 is the same as hi-def Channel 701).

In any event, the EH55 and EH69 are both set to a 16:9 ratio and I'll test them early tomorrow by recording the 1954 "The Wild One" on each recorder and check to see if the results visually differ. I'll report tomorrow on this test.

I'm in Portland where Comcast has placed TCM SD on 501 and TCM HD on 784.

The TCM HD feed is a postage stamp image (with black bars at the top and sides) and TCM SD is full screen (4x3) or letterbox (with black bars only at the top and bottom) depending upon the source material.

Most of my recording is from the TCM HD 784 feed because Comcast frequently inserts a pop-up box on TCM SD 501 alerting viewers that they might prefer to view TCM programming on TCM HD 784. These TCM SD 501 pop-up boxes appear at the scheduled begining time of most features. This is an annoyance, especially during shorts or whenever TCM's schedule is not strictly consistent with Comcast's schedule information. Otherwise, I would prefer to record from TCM SD.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #14 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I checked the setups for "TV Screen" on the EH55 and they read: "TV Type 16:9 (480i), TV Aspect Ratios--4:3 TV Settings for DVD-Video (Pan & Scan) and for DVD-RAM (Letterbox).

For the EH69, it's "TV Aspect 16:9, Progressive Off, TV System NTSC, HDMI settings (probably irrelevant because I connect to my Panny display by component, not HDMI for television and use the HDMI connection for playing BD DVDs), AVI 1 Output Video and AVI2 Output Video. I have no idea what these latter two settings reflect.

The US and the UK, children of one mother, separated by a common language.
post #15 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I'll check to see if the connector for the EH80 is still around the house; otherwise, I think I'll have to order a power cord from Panasonic (one for the current line of DVD players, for example?), and graft the EH69's adaptor to the end of the cord so I can plug the USA AC end into the appropriate receptacle on my surge suppressor that I use for my display/STB/BD player/VCR setup. Have I got your idea correct about replacing the cord?

Church AV Guy said the plug on the EH69 is not polarized, so if you order one from Panasonic for US specs, it may have a flat section on one side that won't allow it to fit. I would trust his knowledge and input on this subject.
The picture is of the cord he said is likely the format you need. Does this resemble the receptacle at the rear of your EH69?
LL
post #16 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The internationals are NOT polarized and ordering a power cable from Panasonic USA would result in(as a forum member is fond of saying) A wild goose chase
Jim, The settings you are referring to mean nothing for recording they are only for the output. There is a separate setting for the WS bit which means nothing if you have a 16:9 TV, it's only to tell a player to letterbox the output if it's hooked to a 4:3 TV. The postage stamp effect has more to do with your STB or DVR not outputting an anamorphic signal from it's SD outputs. To correct that you'll probably need a HDMI or Component to S-video converter.
Personally I leave the 16:9 bit OFF or always set to 4:3. It's better to be off for a 16:9 program than ON for a 4:3 program. Nothing can really be done about the latter since very few 4:3 TVs can letterbox a signal but any 16:9 TV can stretch 4:3 to 16:9.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I did the test with The Wild One film on TCM and it works as I had hoped; i.e, it's a 1954 film that plays (on a newly EH69-copied DVD-R) with the conventional black vertical borders next to the 4:3 film. When I was "burning in" the plasma display four years ago, I stretched the image to "fit" the 16:9 display. I no longer bother and I'm quite satisfied with the "bordered" look for older films (I think mentally I tune them out and focus on the film).

I'm not sure why the other TCM film, the British "Doctor in the House" recorded under identical circumstances from TCM on the Seattle SD channel, 501, produced the "centered", reduced image on the DVD with black borders top, bottom and sides, that I copied from the EH69's HDD. I don't seem to remember anything peculiar when I used the "divide" command to edit out the Robert Osborne intro and the trailing five minutes as I'd always done on my EH55.

As to the power cord, I note the contrast between, say, the cord to my Panny RV32 DVD player, which seems to have a flat top and bottom on the player input end and the power cord for the EH69 which has a rounded top and bottom.

I'll try to find a "non-polarized" cord to run the EH69 as suggested above. I just want to be sure that that cord is well-made (it may be European and thus not UL-approved). Am I on the right track--or at least a better track than a US cord would set me on?
post #18 of 30 Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:

I'll try to find a "non-polarized" cord to run the EH69 as suggested above. I just want to be sure that that cord is well-made (it may be European and thus not UL-approved). Am I on the right track--or at least a better track than a US cord would set me on?

The cord that was linked earlier is UL listed. This is printed on the cord.
KOK KAWASAKI (UL) E42955 NISPT-2 VW-1 2/18AWG FUJIKURA-T CSA PT-2 FT2 2/18AWG ZION
Manufactured in Japan for US standards.
I can't recall ever seeing a cord with a US (North American) style molded plug that did not have (UL) certification on it.
On a side note, European or international style cords may have more stringent requirements than our UL cords due to the fact they have higher voltage to contend with (240v). Don't quote me on that, I am only guessing.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I will ask again. Did your machine come with two power cords? Each of mine did. The simplest, and cheapest solution to your power plug problem (assmuming that you just got a bad cord) would be to snip the plug end off the other cord and get a normal plug from Home depot, or any hardware store, and attach it to the cord. As I said, the internationl plug is not polarized, and has two round sides for the moulded connector. The US models are polarized, and have one round side, and one square side.

Getting the settings down can be a little tricky, and some experimentation was required on my part before I got the options just right.

This weekend, I made over fifty DVDs with one of my EH59s. They all worked perfectly. The EH59/69 have been very good machines for me. I certainly have no complaint. Well, maybe one or two. I don't like that it doesn't record the CC data, and jjeff doesn't like the change in black level. I don't know of ANYONE who likes the 24 hour clock and European date.

Luke

post #20 of 30 Old 06-04-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Church AV Guy,

The EWH69 came with two power cords, each was non-polarized: one was the cord with the two round European (I believe these might be for UK) male AC plugs, plus the separate adapter, the other was the three-"rectagularish"-prong (probably the Continental plug) and no adapter.

I've sent for, using the Amazon link suggested in responses above, two of the non-polarized cords with conventional US-male-ended plugs.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 AM

Liked: 14
if it came with a genuine panasonic euro pin cable, i would use that and just chop the plug off and fit a US plug. Your local home electrical or hardware supplies shop should have one. Just requires a screw driver and some wire strippers. That way you know the DVD recorder end is 100% right. Also the tollerances on a lot of cheap chinese plugs and adaptors are quite poor so you got to watch for that.

If the cables that were supplied with the unit dont fit the socket in the back, they either have included crappy non panasonic cables or for some reason quality control was real bad on the ones you did get if they are panasonic cables.

One of my genuine panasonic cables (EZ48) has 'VLX 2.5a 250v VAC7S'' on the DVD recorder end and there is some other writing on the wall plug end inc date mouldings, part number and safety standards number. This is the AU 2 pin but the cables panasonic inludes for other regions should have much the same markings if they are using the same supplier for all the regions AC cables.

Also no need to worry about the power. The EH69 is made with a dual voltage auto sensing 100-240v 50/60hz power supply.

3 rectangle pin plug would be UK.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Cyclone82.

I'll compare the the new cords I expect to receive soon with so-called Panny cord supplied with the EH69. It still seems a bit awkward that the male end of the DVDR input plug is longer than the fenale socket in the DVDR, unlike the US connection which seems to fit in all my US-made Panny recorders and players; however, pressed hard into the socket the connection can be made. I am concerned that, once the EH69 is installed in my modest array of components, the plug, since it doesn't fit all the way into its socket, could pull out enough to break the connection and it'll be a hassle to move the EH69 to re-insert it or press it in harder.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've received and tested the two cords I ordered thropugh Amazon as suggested here. They work quite well and I've tested the rest of the EH69's functionality and found it quite satisfactory. The only setup I had to perform was setting the clock (the 24-hour clock is not in the least bothersome to me--I've been in the armed forces and enjoyed a couple of European holidays). Thanks for all the help I've received here.
post #24 of 30 Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM

Glad to hear all went well and thanks for your service.
post #25 of 30 Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I expect that if your experiences are like mine, you will be very satisfied with your EH69. I'm glad it was just the cord, and NOT the connector on the power supply module in the recorder.

Luke

post #26 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Question - I just bought an EH69. I opened it and am reading the Owners' Manual but I haven't plugged it in.

The EH69 came with a power socket adapter. None of the power cords are North American Type A power sockets. That's not a problem - the socket adapter should convert the European Type C to a Type A.

However, I am worried about the power voltage - the specs in the owners manuals say that it supports 220-240V. However, since I live in the US, all my outlets in my house, other than the one used by my A/C and washer/dryer, are 110V.

Would this be a problem using the EH69 with a 110V outlet? I don't want to damage this equipment by underpowering it.
post #27 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomster View Post

Question - I just bought an EH69. I opened it and am reading the Owners' Manual but I haven't plugged it in.

The EH69 came with a power socket adapter. None of the power cords are North American Type A power sockets. That's not a problem - the socket adapter should convert the European Type C to a Type A.

However, I am worried about the power voltage - the specs in the owners manuals say that it supports 220-240V. However, since I live in the US, all my outlets in my house, other than the one used by my A/C and washer/dryer, are 110V.

Would this be a problem using the EH69 with a 110V outlet? I don't want to damage this equipment by underpowering it.

Nope! The H69 (and EH59) that I have don't mention that it works with 110V 60HZ power, but it does. One of the companies I purchased one of my units from put their own sticker on the back with the dual voltage called out, but they did nothing to alter the machine. It has an auto switching power supply (probably cheaper for Panasonic to make just one and put it in everything) which works just fine, once you attach that little plastic adapter that changes the pin-type AC plug to a blade AC plug (unpolarized! eek.gif ) . That thing must cost next-to-nothing to make, so it's included by most retailers.

Don't worry about the power, just plug it in. It'll work just fine.

Luke

post #28 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep don't worry, it may say 220v 50hz but they have a universal power supply that work just fine in N. America with our 120v 60hz.
What I don't know, but would like to, is if the European blue recorder models(only available from overseas) that are also listed as 220v 50hz actually contain a universal power supply......
post #29 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yep don't worry, it may say 220v 50hz but they have a universal power supply that work just fine in N. America with our 120v 60hz.
What I don't know, but would like to, is if the European blue recorder models(only available from overseas) that are also listed as 220v 50hz actually contain a universal power supply......

That *IS* a good question.

Luke

post #30 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed a funny thing at a local pawn shop(Pawn America if your aware of them). I spotted a EZ-28 but something just didn't look right......it had the initials DVB by the power button.....when I turned it around it had a couple SCART connectors eek.gif The power cord was had the Great Britain end(very large looks like a US dryer plug). The back nameplate said only 220v 50hz. I'm quite sure this was a true European model and not the international variants we get here, ours only have a analog PAL tuner whereas this one had a Euro digital tuner(I think it might have also said something about freeview).

I was tempted to purchase it just to see what would happen if I plugged it into our power(it had the standard Panasonic plug in cord so I could have just used one of my other Panasonics power cords) but they were asking $110 and even though they have a 7 day return policy, I was a little leery about the whole thing.
I really wonder where this thing came from, my guess is they(PA) had no idea it was a Euro model, they probably looked in their book and saw the EZ-28 and purchased it and priced it based on a N. American EZ-28. I pity the poor guy who purchases it thinking of using it to tune OTA or cable in the US eek.gif my guess is it will be promptly returned.....the guy wouldn't even be able to plug it in without a converter plug and of course the RF connectors are different than the standard N. American F connector.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page