DVDR HDD Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi everybody.Last weekend i recorded my 1st.movie directly from the internet to my recorders' HDD. I want to move ahead with testing the limits of what i can record but i hit a snag,a thought that makes me hesitate, so i need to ask a question(that i probably/maybe know the answer too) to you people that have real knowledge of such things.

Q: Is there anything diff. about the signal coming from the internet(as opposed to cable/sat.signals) that could damage or corrupt the HDD?? OR could individual websites contain 'something' in their signal that 'could' damage or corrupt the HDD,thus making some websites 'safe' while others are not?? OR is there anything else(OS??) in a DVDR that 'could be' damaged or corrupted??

I would really appreciate an answer to this so i know what to do.Thanks in advance for any help.G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

websites contain 'something' in their signal that 'could' damage or corrupt the HDD,thus making some websites 'safe' while others are not?? OR is there anything else(OS??) in a DVDR that 'could be' damaged or corrupted??

If you are wondering if a virus or malware or something of the sort will pass into your recorder, then the answer is no. You are not in danger of that happening. As for your computer, that is another story.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I agree with morc258.

Computer virus and malware programs need to load an intact digital program file directly into the device operating system. Since you are running the signal from the website thru a D/A converter and sending a simple analog A/V signal to the recorder's analog inputs, there's no way you can "infect" your recorder by recording from a website tap. Tampering with the recorder "brain" is possible by loading an infected disc, because theoretically a digital virus can be easily be picked up from disc, but its very unlikely and I've never heard of it happening.

Recorders run off a very simplified, locked-down version of Linux, which is a reasonably secure OS if set up properly. Any potential virus would need to be brand and model specific, and targeted to the firmware update system of a particular recorder. You'd be surprised how many recorders can't even update their firmware- they are usually a completely closed airtight system. Most malicious code is designed to steal personal info or turn your computer into a zombie host for hacker activity: since there have been a grand total of maybe six DVD/HDD recorder models sold with an ethernet connection, the last discontinued four years ago, its safe to say no hacker is targeting recorders.

So have a blast!smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks morc and CitiBear i now feel safe to proceed 'full steam ahead'!!biggrin.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page