Can unfinalised DVDs from a particular JVC DR-MV80B be finalised on another JVC DR-MV80B? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings, folks. I had a JVC DR-MV80B which "died", leaving a few unfinalised DVDs. I have managed to locate a refurbished DR-MV80B unit at World Imports/220V store in Chicago, although the website claimed it was new. The main reason I would buy it is to finalise the unfinalised DVDs I have. Hence my question: is this possible?

If not, then I would just cut my losses and re-record the unfinalised material, although it would be some drudgery, from source camcorder tapes on a new DVD recorder: suggestions on last most welcome. My main use is to burn DVDs of live technical instruction workshops, recorded on a SD camcorder, so I don't really need a tuner, etc

Particularly appreciate any timely feedback, since I need to get one quickly as clients are getting restless!

Many thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes. wink.gif
post #3 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 13
Yes, the new unit of same manufacturer and model will be able to finalize your discs.
You might be able to find someone on the forum here that has a JVC that would be willing to finalize them for you. That way you are not narrowed down in your choices for the next DVD recorder you buy.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Profhat and Marc258. I will keep you posted. Best wishes. NK
post #5 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm not a JVC expert but I do know that some older JVC DVDRs(JVC built ones) were cross compatible with Panasonic, meaning a JVC could finalize a Panasonic DVD and a Panasonic could finalize a JVC DVD. Panasonics have been the same since the beginning and are much easier to find than a older JVC, JVC changed sometime in the early to mid 00s to being outsourced.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
"Genuine" JVCs were sold until the 2005 model year (DRM100, DRMV5). Beginning 2006 with the DRMV7, they were outsourced to LG. So any JVC from DRM7 on should be able to finalize discs made with a DRMV80, which is sourced from LG (possibly similar LG-branded models would also finalize them).

The older original JVC models available second hand (DRM10, DRM100, DRMV1, DRMV5) are mostly worn out at this point and should probably be avoided unless you know how to repair them. They might (or might not) be able to finalize discs made on the later DRMV80, DRMV100 or DRM150. The old JVCs apparently used LG burners but JVC electronics and Panasonic finalization routines, I've never owned a later JVC like the DRMV80 so don't know if they kept the same finalizing system. Usually when a brand outsources, the later models are not compatible to finalize older discs (as happened with Toshiba>Funai and Sony>Pioneer).
post #7 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OP,
If you can’t get a DVD recorder that will finalize your disks and if you have PC software and a PC burner you can try that. In my case Nero will finalize discs recorded on my Sony RDR-HX780 which uses the same finalization process as the newest Pioneer HDD/DVD recorders.

See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409286/finalizing-a-pio-sony-disc-with-nero

I don’t know if it will work for you but DVD PC software can be pretty smart and its worth a try.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Nitin:

I've recently purchased a Toshiba 430ku unit. While it isn't a high tech unit and has it's limitations (IE: no flex recording), it does have a really interesting feature that you might find useful.

It has a "make compatible" option which allows users to effectively finalize discs recorded on many other units (so far I've had good luck with Panasonic u/f discs, Centrios and others, but I do not own a JVC unit so I can't swear that it would work with those as well). You end up losing the menu structure from the recording machine, but the titles are properly converted to the Toshiba format and can then be finalized. As the Toshibas are going for around $100-130, it's a very affordable option.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Jeff:

I have several Panasonic machines. While most are interchangeable, discs recorded on my ES-10 are not compatible with later recorders (ES-15,16,20,25,28). I'm interested to know if this is something you've encountered as well, or if it is an "oddity" particular to my ancient ES-10?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-30-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfinalized discs recorded on your '05 ES-10 should play just fine on all the newer Panasonics you mentioned. The ES-15/16/25 are a '06 design while your ES-20 is a '05 but was the first Panasonic to have LSI silicon. Your EZ28 is the newest being a '08-11.
Other than your ES-10 I've owned or own all the models you have and regularly swap unfinalized discs between them. I've not owned a pre '05 Panasonic although I'm trying to get a hold of a Craigslist seller in my area with a good deal on a '03 E80H but like MANY Craigslist sellers(at least with the ones that have deals I'm interested in) they never seem to respond to email inquires rolleyes.gifmad.gif
post #11 of 16 Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Jeff:

Craigslist sellers are notoriously indifferent... as for the ES10, it's u/f disks won't play on later models (even the es15), nor will disks recorded but u/f with later versions load on the es10. It's really odd, as they seem to share almost identical operating software. I get "Unsupported disk" errors either way.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Well after the 3rd email, from different email addresses and I did wait several days between, I got a response. Funny thing was my last email was answered first and my first two email replies said someone else answered first and they would let me know the outcome eek.gif anyway I picked it up, I thought $50 was a very good deal for a E80H. Finally I'll know at exactly what FR setting pre '05 Panasonics switch to 1/2 D1. I'll also be interested how unfinalized DVDs recorded on this pre-thumbnail Panasonic will act in a thumbnail Panasonic and of course the other way around.
I won't have time to play with it until next week but I'll let you know either way.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Anon Seven.

FYI all, I bought a used DR-MV80B through eBay for $140, including shipping. I was a little apprehensive, so I bought a warranty too. Fortunately, everything worked out well: I received the unit, it works fine at least so far, I finalised my u/f DVDs and breathed a sigh of relief.

I want to thank all for responding so helpfully to my first post. I was not even aware of this forum's existence, but now will monitor it more frequently.

My current system (canon minidv camcorder; JVC DR-MV80B vhs/dvd recorder; sony xbr 25" circa 1986 (!!) tv) will probably need to be replaced in toto fairly soon and I will apply myself more to updating my knowledge.

Best wishes

NK
post #14 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkibe View Post

Thanks so much, Anon Seven.

FYI all, I bought a used DR-MV80B through eBay for $140, including shipping. I was a little apprehensive, so I bought a warranty too. Fortunately, everything worked out well: I received the unit, it works fine at least so far, I finalised my u/f DVDs and breathed a sigh of relief.

I want to thank all for responding so helpfully to my first post. I was not even aware of this forum's existence, but now will monitor it more frequently.

My current system (canon minidv camcorder; JVC DR-MV80B vhs/dvd recorder; sony xbr 25" circa 1986 (!!) tv) will probably need to be replaced in toto fairly soon and I will apply myself more to updating my knowledge.

Best wishes

NK
post #15 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM

I'm afraid I have done the same thing not finalizing and no longer have the JVC DVD video recorder DR-MV80D , unfortunately I've seen these units no longer in stock or are selling for about $499. Is there a unit definitely compatible?
post #16 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
See this most recent thread on the same topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520921/recorded-dvds-of-unknown-format-any-suggestions

All the suggestions and info are fairly universal and apply to owners of any brand DVD recorder. Long story short, unfinalized is unfinalized: no matter the brand, once the recorder tanks, you're screwed if you let unfinalized discs pile up. DVD recorders are deader than dead as a consumer product: the only brands left you can buy new are Toshiba and Magnavox (which are identical twins).

Your JVC DR-MV80B was made by LG, so it is likely (tho not certain) any LG-branded recorder could finalize your JVC discs. You might want to look for a cheap second-hand LG: if you live in Canada instead of USA, a couple of LG models may still be available new at Future Shop and you could bring a DVD in to test the theory. Otherwise, look for a used LG that is a DVD-only unit (your JVC DR-MV80B sells for a fortune second hand only because many misguided people are obsessed with DVD/VHS combo models). Cheap used LGs would be models like LRA-516. If you don't want to bother with another recorder, try the PC software tricks discussed in the other thread.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page