Copying the HDD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this Panasonic DMR-EH57 for sometimes.
I just want to know, is there any possibility to copy the content of the HDD (partially or fully) to other HDD such as Laptop, PC, etc.?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not familiar with the recorder, but if investigations into the way recordings are stored on the hard drives of Magnavox DVDRs, you may not be able to do what you want.

The storage method or file type used may have nothing to do with the way computers store video files.

Right now people who've long tried to get a handle on how the data's stored on the Magnavox machines haven't had much success.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

Only way you might be able to copy HDD>HDD is described here. This is a real-time copy, not a lossless file transfer.

The recorder you copy to doesn't matter, as long as it has a HDD and can record for many hours in one title.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyadi View Post

I have this Panasonic DMR-EH57 for sometimes.
I just want to know, is there any possibility to copy the content of the HDD (partially or fully) to other HDD such as Laptop, PC, etc.?
Thank you.
The data is stored on the HDD of your EH57 in a proprietary and very complex file structure not directly readable by any PC. In theory it's possible to get the data off the HDD, but the effort is entraordinary, and the time it would take is outrageous. You have to REALLY, REALLY want to move the content to attempt this. Additionally, it's possible that the very action of removing the HDD from the recorder and attempting to get your PC to acess it might render it unusable by the EH57, and so it very well could require you to reformat the drive before the EH57 will be able to use it again.

The other ways are: Play back the content and "acquire" it from the recorder output. This is a real-time transfer as wajo said, and not a lossless copy operation. The last way I am aware of is to copy the content to -RAM or RW disks, and then read them into your PC. This is what I would recommend.

You didn't say why you want to transfer the content.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The DVD part of my Panasonic is somehow troubled, so I couldn't burn / copy the scene already recorded in the HDD.
That's why I try to retrieve the scene to other HDD then copy it using other DVD Recorder.
Seems that I have to fix my Panasonic unit.. smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Hello member you can send me a PM for more info if you want to fix.

MickinCT
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyadi View Post

The DVD part of my Panasonic is somehow troubled, so I couldn't burn / copy the scene already recorded in the HDD.
That's why I try to retrieve the scene to other HDD then copy it using other DVD Recorder.
Seems that I have to fix my Panasonic unit.. smile.gif
That's usually the case, unfortunately. If your DVD drive is acting up, DO NOT try what others have naively done, and transfer the HDD to another similar model DVD recorder. You will lose all the content. It appears that the file system in these things was deliberately designed to prevent this type of thing. I point you to a page 9 in the manual...
Quote:
The HDD is a temporary storage device
The HDD is not an everlasting storage device for recorded content. Use the HDD as a temporary storage place for one-off viewing, editing, or
saving recorded content to a disc.
Quote:
∫ Indemnity concerning recorded content
Panasonic does not accept any responsibility for damages directly or indirectly due to any type of problems that result in loss of recording or
edited content (data), and does not guarantee any content if recording or editing does not work properly. Likewise, the above also applies in a
case where any type of repair is made to the unit (including any other non-HDD related component).
If I were you, and I have been in your position too many times, I would definitely contact MICKINCT for assistance. He is your best bet. Look at the thread in this forum titled "PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!!".

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page