DVD/video recorder with digital TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We have a DVD/video recorder. Just bought a new TV that is digital. The DVD will not record closed captions, but using a video we do get closed caption though the picture is very poor compared to DVD recordings. I cannot watch a program without captions.

We are connected to Dish Network and they have not been able to help us with this problem.

Is there a DVD recorder that will work with digital so we get closed caption? Would appreciate any suggestions you may have to make this work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139

All DVDRs must record analog CC but the TV's CC control must be turned on to see them.

The Magnavox 2160/2160A/513/515 recorders discussed here can also show and record digital CC, which I believe are the kind you're having trouble with since some/many recorders can't see or record DTV CC.

Make sure you search your current recorder's manual to see if it might be one that must be set by you to record DTV (digital) CC, like the Magnavox do.

See this help file for more info on this "difficult" subject.

See page 1 for sellers of used. refurbished and new units still available among the 7 generations of these recorders.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wago,

Thank you for the information. After reading about recording with CC I think we out out of luck unless we missed something. Having to change to digital from analog has caused a lot of problems, but I guess that is "progress". We bought 2 converter boxes to use our old TVs, but we were able to get CC. Now with a digital TV we are out of luck. Sorry we bought a new TV.

So much for "progress".

Thanks again.

HelenLouise
post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
HelenLouise, it would help if you would tell us the make/model of your DVD recorder, television and converter boxes. Also, describe how they are wired/connected to each other.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Church AV Guy,

TV is a Samsung LED UN55EH6050FXZA

One recorder is a LG RC897T which is connected to HDMI. The LG is a combination DVD and video recorder. The video will record CC, but the picture is very poor, the DVD will not record the CC. We use this recorder when using the antenna and not Dish Network.

The second recorder is a Motorola ZC320MW8B/F7 which is connected to the componet side of the TV. The recorder is DVD only and used when we record while watching a program on Dish Network and it will not record CC.

We do not use a converter box with this new TV as we are connected to Dish Network and don't need it when watching TV with the antenna.

Hope I explained this so you understand. We are not technical people at all (actually we are seniors and this is all Greek to us).

HelenLouise
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLouise View Post

Church AV Guy,
TV is a Samsung LED UN55EH6050FXZA
One recorder is a LG RC897T which is connected to HDMI. The LG is a combination DVD and video recorder. The video will record CC, but the picture is very poor, the DVD will not record the CC. We use this recorder when using the antenna and not Dish Network.
The second recorder is a Motorola ZC320MW8B/F7 which is connected to the componet side of the TV. The recorder is DVD only and used when we record while watching a program on Dish Network and it will not record CC.
We do not use a converter box with this new TV as we are connected to Dish Network and don't need it when watching TV with the antenna.
Hope I explained this so you understand. We are not technical people at all (actually we are seniors and this is all Greek to us).
HelenLouise
From the manual for your television:

Caption
(On-Screen Text Dialogue)
■■Caption: You can switch the caption function on or off. If captions are not available, they will not be displayed on the screen.
✎✎The Caption feature does not work in Component or HDMI mode.

You are connecting the DVD recorders to your television using component and HDMI. According to your owner's manual, the CC info will not be displayed. which is why I asked HOW the devices were connected to the television. If you use the composite input, the CC info will be available. From what I could tell, just from glancing at the manual, your television appears to only have a single composite input. Your remote control has a CC button it for caption on/off control.

The DISH receiver should have the ability to display CC info, so you should look at that for getting the captioning on a high def picture.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Church V Guy,

Thank you for responding..

I think we are out of luck, not really understanding all this. We do not have HD with Dish Network as it is a lot morte expensive, just pay a basic price for a couple extra channels, but not HD. When using the antenna we get HD at no cost for our local channels.

We did not have this problem with analog TV! So much for progress.

Thanks again.

HelenLouise
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I see. But you are using component and HDMI inputs on your television, which prohibits you from using the television's closed captioning capability. I should add, all, or nearly all, current model televisions have the same limitations. The closed captioning data is not present from your DISH receiver in the HDMI feed, and most likely isn't available in the component feed either. If the captioning data is present in the video stream you are feeding your DVD recorders, they WILL record it. If you use the composite input on your television to play those DVDs, the TV will display the captions.

Luke

post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No closed caption over HDMI or component? Last word? confused.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

The closed captioning data is not present from your DISH receiver in the HDMI feed, and most likely isn't available in the component feed either.

HDMI does not support CC as far as I know. You have to tell the receiver to display the captions as part of the image that it sends out via HDMI.

Component video can carry CC, but only when the resolution is set to 480i, as far as I know. Resolutions of 480p, 720p and 1080i do not work for this. Also, if you want to record it, you have to have a recorder that recognizes and records the CC signal. I used to do this with a US-sourced Panasonic DVD recorder. With the DVDs I recorded, I could turn the CC on and off at my TV. I can't do this any more because I now use an international Panasonic DVD recorder that doesn't support CC at all. I have to tell my Sony OTA HD DVR to display the captions, and then record them permanently as part of the image (can't turn them off).
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HDMI does not support CC as far as I know. You have to tell the receiver to display the captions as part of the image that it sends out via HDMI.

Component video can carry CC, but only when the resolution is set to 480i, as far as I know. Resolutions of 480p, 720p and 1080i do not work for this.

With the exception of the component 480i exclusion, that's what I said, or at least TRIED to say. I'll have to test the component 480i resolution and imbedded CC data.
Quote:
I now use an international Panasonic DVD recorder that doesn't support CC at all. I have to tell my Sony OTA HD DVR to display the captions, and then record them permanently as part of the image (can't turn them off).

I have the same issue, and it annoys me, but what can you do except get rid of the Panasonics and get more 515s, or the new upcoming models.

As far as the OPs question goes, he is using HDMI and component, so the television won't display the CC data like he is used to on his old television. I was suggesting he turn the CC on with the DISH receiver, rather than the television.

Luke

post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM

For seeing CC when watching recorded program from Dish using HDMI output, you would have to enable CC in the Dish receiver. For that you have to use their Menu option and go through 2-3 step process to enable 'CC on'. 'CC off' is by default. If you use the AV out from the recorder to TV instead of HDMI output, then you can use TV's CC option to view the captions.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman1 View Post

For seeing CC when watching recorded program from Dish using HDMI output, you would have to enable CC in the Dish receiver. For that you have to use their Menu option and go through 2-3 step process to enable 'CC on'. 'CC off' is by default. If you use the AV out from the recorder to TV instead of HDMI output, then you can use TV's CC option to view the captions.
I kow this. It's what I have been trying to tell the OP of this thread. I don't have access to a DISH receiver, but what you described is about what DirecTV has also for turning on CC. With my DirecTV equipment, I can use the SD outputs, and turn on CC with the televisions too, so it works the same. The OP needs to use his DISH receiver to enable his closed captions.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page