"DVD" RECORDER- 'Toshiba Dr430ku" [What cable box?] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm new to the AVS forum and am seeking some information in reference to the above title. This forum was found, due to searching for the information I am looking for. I have read some technical articles, informative, as to the product I am researching. Actually, the threads were listed on AVS forum, which led me to join. There are some extensive threads on the subject. However, I am seeking 'specific' information, in and of "all" possibilities relating to HDD DVD Recorders, as oppossed to DVD Recorders (upconverters), I believe.
I'd like to purchase the Toshiba 430, most likely the remaining unit available, as DVD Recorders are concerned. Question: Must this DVD Recorder
be used in conjunction with a cable box? We have Cox cable (no box), just upgraded service with no premium channels. We have both analog and digital t.v.'s, mainly focusing on analog. Apparently, Cox has devised a way to allow the joining of analog to digital, via an analog t.v. (no box). This is all well and fine.
If we need a set top box to be used in unison with the Toshiba 430, will any set top box suffice. Such as a Nova Vision, with pass-through and tuner? Mind you, this box is prior to implementing the digital signal. So, do we require a box or not?
Secondly, we'd like to burn to DVD, as this Toshiba is capable of doing. the 'copyright' protection issue is somewhat invisible, due to the ever changing formats, continually being phased in. In relation to this, would this Toshiba record for copyright protected material? Sometimes, for instance, if you watch a ballgame, it states, "All material copyright protected", yet anyone can record the broadcast via a VCR. I do not know about the DVD aspect, that is why I am asking.
As to picture quality, we are not picky. If we can obtain at least 480P, that is good enough for us. If this Toshiba will record in 480P, will it burn to DVD in the same? In other words, will there be a loss or degradation in quality? If the signal is broadcast in anywhere from 480P to 1080P, what quality will be formatted by the Toshiba? Does the Toshiba have upconversion, in terms of "recording", or just 'playback'? Most channels are broadcast in analog still, around 500, or better. we might have a handful of digital channels. So, will the Toshiba also record those digital channels?
I can delve into this further, but am seeking someone to expand upon this issue further. Thank you. Any and all replies are welcome.

P.S.- First Post (Thread)120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

The DR430 doesn't have a tuner so as long as you always plan to record from an external tuner box of some sort, it will work. However, it also doesn't have a HDD, so you'll have to contend with DVD discs and their limited capacity.

If you delve into this thread's page 1 indexed list of info files, you can get an idea of what you want and need by reading those subjects of interest, such as the copyright issue... look at subject 4h, for instance.

The Mag units described there have analog/digital tuners, a HDD and can record all the channels your TVs tune now without any external boxes, which greatly simplifies your timer recording task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you very much.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The DR430 doesn't have a tuner so as long as you always plan to record from an external tuner box of some sort, it will work. However, it also doesn't have a HDD, so you'll have to contend with DVD discs and their limited capacity.

If you delve into this thread's page 1 indexed list of info files, you can get an idea of what you want and need by reading those subjects of interest, such as the copyright issue... look at subject 4h, for instance.

The Mag units described there have analog/digital tuners, a HDD and can record all the channels your TVs tune now without any external boxes, which greatly simplifies your timer recording task.

I have Toshiba DVD Recorders also, except mine have tuners built in. I have Cox cable also and use the analog cable to record to VCRs and DVDRs as mine all have tuners built in so can record Cox's analog signal. Be aware that while the above Mag units do have analog tuners so yes right now they can record all the channels your TV tunes now without external boxes. When Cox cable goes to all digital...you will have to rent Cox's set top boxes to watch and/or record anything. The only digital cable tuners available to the public are to record Off an Antenna digital signals (they can record what is called Clear QAM but in my area Cox cable only has clear QAM for the same channels I can get with my antenna). I have a Toshiba 560 DVDR as well as the 670DVDR/VCR. Both of these have both the NTSC tuner required to record analog cable as well as the ATSC tuner..required to record off an antenna your normal area stations, such as CBS, NBC, etc. When Cox stops analog, my choice will be to record from the antenna stations...so I can still use my timer to record plus I will need to rent a set top box to watch cable and rent another if I want to record one and watch another at the same time. I might be looking into the TIVO products instead of giving Cox so much rental dollars. The MAG units have the same tuners my Toshibas have and that's why they can record your analog signals now...but to record digital cable from Cox cable....you will have to rent boxes from Cox cable. The government when they took away analog signals from the public said manufacturers should make digital boxes so people were not held hostage by cable companies and their boxes. Well, business is business and for some reason.....,no one made these boxes to sell to the public so the cable companies have their dream...a true monopoly as far as viewing and recording..except for a little thing like a TIVO or a MOXI, which are expensive.

As long as Cox shows analog....these tuners will still be good as far as recording...just remember when you look at specs......an NTSC tuner will record only analog....an ATSC tuner will record only Over the Antenna (OTA) digital. Neither tuner can record Cable digital that is scrambled....and I don't mean just HBO........I mean A&E, FX, USA, TNT, etc etc.

The recorders mentioned MAG and/or Toshiba will record the signal that comes through a rented set top box and you need 2 boxes to watch one channel and record a second channel and if you want to record a 3rd channel at the same time....yep..another rental cable box.
That's the basic picture. We try to fit into it what we want to do. That's why taking away the analog signal that all tvs were able to get without a box and recorders were able to record without a box.....the cable companies learned from the past...they weren't as big when they first started and tv makers added the ability to tvs to get their signal without a rental box.

Hope this information helps.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by microladyusa View Post
The MAG units have the same tuners my Toshibas have and that's why they can record your analog signals now...but to record digital cable from Cox cable....you will have to rent boxes from Cox cable. The government went they took away analog signals from the public said manufacturers should make digital boxes so people were not held hostage by cable companies and their boxes..

Not true. The Mag and some other DVDRs have ATSC/QAM runers so they can tune and record digital cable (signals that aren't scrambled, or "clear-QAM").

Some Mag users get literally hundreds of clear-QAM channels and some, like me, get 50-60 analog and 20-100 digital channels from their cable supplier. These DVDRs also have "coax passthru" which means the raw incoming signal is passed thru, untouched, to downstream components, like your TV. So, whatever cable channels are in-the-clear will pass thru to your TV and you can tune those channels independently while the DVDR records a different channel.

You only need a cable box for the scrambled channels.

Here's some info on what you might expect in YOUR area.

|
|
|
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer on the Toshibas. My Toshibas have NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM and I assumed the Mags did also.

I have not seen anything worthwhile in my area on Clear QAM so I concentrate on the other 2 tuners for recording. Inasmuch as I also have Cox cable coming in analog (which may stop sometime in 2012), just was mentioning what I could get here from that cable company.

But I still stand on the statement that the Toshibas and the Mags have the same tuners available in them. So the choice is DVDs vs Hard Drives and most importantly probably....today's pricing.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page