1000 gig hdd to replace 515 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How come nobody is discussing the upcoming 1000 gig hdd by magnavox ? I spoke with a supervisor about two weeks ago and he comfimed it after i asked him about the 515's end of run production. I bought the 515 after reading all the great posts by Wajo and all other av posters and was thinking of buying another but walmart stopped selling them, which promted the call to magnavox/funia. i've spoken to two people at magnavox and both have confirmed it. so to all who have been thinking of buying a refurb and breaking the bank (have you seen those prices) hold on there is light at the end of the tunnel. p.s I asked and was given no dates on release or cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Oh, boy. This oughta go over well.

Time to go get the popcorn. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I'm already melting the butter.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Liked: 13
WOW! More info than even wajo himself divulged.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Oh, boy. This oughta go over well.

Time to go get the popcorn. biggrin.gif
Yeah, this is going to be good.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
No release date or price? Who cares. We'll buy it anyway.... smile.gif
post #7 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Oooooooooooo, a Terabyte!! Wouldn't it be cool if it could record to the HDD in HD, then give you the option of burning to an SD DVD or an AVCHD?? cool.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Oooooooooooo, a Terabyte!! Wouldn't it be cool if it could record to the HDD in HD, then give you the option of burning to an SD DVD or an AVCHD?? cool.gif
Yes, it would be cool!biggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What would be "cool" is updating the HDD navigation interface, so finding a specific recording wouldn't be the total torture it is now. The 320GB HDD on my 513 is painful enough to navigate: that anyone is seriously looking forward to a terabyte with the same horrible interface amazes me.

Smooth out the HDD navigation, add ability to choose custom thumbnails for HDD titles that carry over to disc, and fix the archaic dual-band tuner conflicts. Maybe then $329 will be embraced as a price point, and they won't get dumped immediately into the refurb chain. AVCHD or HD recording means jack if the thing still has all the longstanding quirks that make Joe Average return it. The fact that Funai is even (allegedly) bothering with another model gives me hope they might have finally squashed a few bugs dating back to 2008.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 13
Yes, navigation is clumsy. I have noticed that the old 2160 actually responds faster to commands than the 513's. I think somebody brought this up at one time, maybe rkg22? It acts like the processor is slower on the newer models. Not unbearable, but it is noticeable.
I have no need for the 1 terabyte HDD, but would like to see some newer features that would bring it into this decade.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since all subsequent models have apparently used the same ATSC reception chip that the first Funai Maggie/Philips HDD/DVD recorders had in 2007, I would hope they finally decided to upgrade that, too.

post #12 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, the beans have been spilled over on the other funai thread. Looks like they are just more of the same.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Ah, the beans have been spilled over on the other funai thread. Looks like they are just more of the same.

But if Petter the Geek can replicate the firmware of the MDR537H on a 2160 or 513, our space problems will be solved! biggrin.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

But if Petter the Geek can replicate the firmware of the MDR537H on a 2160 or 513, our space problems will be solved! biggrin.gif

Who's "space problems"?

If the 500GB MDR515 has been "insufficient" for your needs, you're barking up the wrong tree and need to get on an HTPC instead of clinging to a standalone recorder. These DVD/HDD units are not designed to hold a gigantic permanent library on their HDDs: its meant to be temporary storage/editing space. After recorders migrated from EIDE to SATA drives, they got more unreliable for long-term HDD storage. In the age of SATA, you want a backup HDD for huge archives, and that is only feasible with a PC-based recorder.

Unless the MDR537 records in true HDTV to the hard drive, a terabyte is too much and will lead to problems down the road for unsophisticated users who never back up to DVD. To be fair, Funai probably doesn't have much choice going forward: lower capacity drives go out of production fairly quickly once the larger sizes become affordable. I doubt anyone but recorder mfrs are still interested in 3.5" HDDs below a terabyte: 1 TB seems to be the new low-end standard. I can see that becoming a long-term problem for older Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba recorders whose firmware can't recognize capacity above 750MB.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hasn't someone in the main Funai thread been occasionally been claiming in recent weeks that they knew of "something big coming soon"?

I noticed that the guy who occasionally posts over there who admittedly works for Funai is apparently completely surprised, too.

post #16 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If the new recorder is nothing more than a "515" with a larger HDD and nothing else is changed,you know,like maybe 'Title Merge',or DD5.1 audio recordable to disc,ability to record to DL/RAM discs.or some other kinds of useful changes,then it'll be a big dissapointment to me. I personally have no use for a larger hard drive,500G is more than enough for me. greater functionality,that's the ticket!!!,Not a bigger HDD.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Any one who has space problems now will always have space problems -- no matter how big the disk, they will always fill it up and then complain it is not big enough. A 500GB drive is bad enough; a 1TB drive will make things much worse for these people. If you fill up a 1TB drive, the energy barrier to burn it off to 200 DVD-R will be insurmountable.

- kelson h

post #18 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

To be fair, Funai probably doesn't have much choice going forward: lower capacity drives go out of production fairly quickly once the larger sizes become affordable. I doubt anyone but recorder mfrs are still interested in 3.5" HDDs below a terabyte: 1 TB seems to be the new low-end standard.
The most popular HDD sizes in high production with the most models are 2TB, 1TB, 500GB, 250GB.

- kelson h

post #19 of 20 Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I personally have no use for a larger hard drive,500G is more than enough for me. greater functionality,that's the ticket!!!,Not a bigger HDD.
Perhaps it is time for you to consider a paradigm shift away from a low end, but no longer low cost, stand-alone unit confined to SD/2.0 recording.

- kelson h

post #20 of 20 Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Perhaps it is time for you to consider a paradigm shift away from a low end, but no longer low cost, stand-alone unit confined to SD/2.0 recording.

That's a very large statement you made! I would probably already "be gone" if i had any computer skills at all. I would need somebody to show/teach me each and every tiny little step of computer recording,but i don't have that. That's why i've been so hot and heavy on the subject of finding good/high quality video converters of diff. types. so i can keep recording and not have to worry about *computers*eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif tongue.gifwink.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page