Want DVD recorder, don't have cable TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get a DVD recorder to record TV programs. I don't have cable TV. I have only been able to find a couple of models available. One is the Toshiba DR570 (has a tuner). I would like to be able to record a program on on channel while watching a different channel at the same time, just like in the good old days with my VCR.

I called Toshiba. They said the DVD recorder needs to have tuner just to be able to record TV programs. They also told me that I cannot record on one channel while watching another. Are they correct?

Is there a DVD recorder that will do this? Are there VCR player still for sale somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you're using a DVD recorder that has a built in digital tuner and a television that also has a built in digital tuner, then you will be able to record one program while watching another.

It will work exactly as it did in the days of the VCR -- the tuner in the recorder is used to record whatever channel it is tuned to, while the tuner in the television can be set to a different channel that you're viewing live.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechnical View Post

I want to get a DVD recorder to record TV programs. I don't have cable TV. I have only been able to find a couple of models available. One is the Toshiba DR570 (has a tuner). I would like to be able to record a program on on channel while watching a different channel at the same time, just like in the good old days with my VCR.

I called Toshiba. They said the DVD recorder needs to have tuner just to be able to record TV programs. They also told me that I cannot record on one channel while watching another. Are they correct?

Is there a DVD recorder that will do this? Are there VCR player still for sale somewhere?

It would help if you told us what country you're located in. I'm not familiar with the Toshiba you mentioned, nor if there are models of it for different countries.

In the States, there's still DVD recorders being made, and one set of models even has hard drives to record to if you only want to time shift but not save the recording permanently.

As for VCRs, if you poke around on a website for a store that sells electronics, you might be able to find a combo unit that's both a VCR and a DVD player or recorder.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

The Toshiba DR570 has a built-in ATSC/NTSC/QAM digital/analog tuner allows for tuning of analog or digital channels from over the air, or cable.

I'm in the U.S. I would appreciate any suggestions for recorders to buy. It seems like there are hardly any available.

I mostly don't save programs that I record, but it would be nice to have the option to record to a disk. I would prefer not to spend a lot on a unit, if possible.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM

The Toshibas are about it--at least for currently produced models in the U.S. The model you mentioned has its own tuner so that's the type to get --you can record one program on the Toshiba while watching another on your TV. (you need to split your incoming TV signal so it goes to both your TV and your DVR). The Toshiba website lists the models they have available.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the info.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 13
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Magnavox HDD/DVDR models. They have a hard drive in them so if you choose only to watch it and delete, it is better suited than burning to DVD every time. They can also burn DVD's from the tuner or hard drive. The time shift is an additional bonus.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Some people online have recommended a Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 (with a hard drive) to me. They say it is much easier to use than a disk only recorder, at least for do a lot of recording and erasing of programs. I think there may only be refurbished models of the Magnavox available for sale. Does anyone have thoughts on that model versus the Toshiba DR570?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Some people online have recommended a Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 (with a hard drive) to me.

If you can hold out, J&R sells the refurbed 513's from time to time for $169. In my opinion, it is the best option for the price. You have to keep checking the site or wajo's thread, but they come in every couple of weeks.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Some people online have recommended a Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 (with a hard drive) to me. [...] Does anyone have thoughts on that model versus the Toshiba DR570?

The same OEM supplier makes both recorders. The Toshiba DR570 is essentially the Magnavox without a hard drive, way overpriced because the Toshiba name still holds some snob appeal over Magnavox for shoppers who are unaware the same factory makes both and they perform nearly identically. Given the near-$200 asking price for the Toshiba lately, you are much better off checking for a $169 (513) or $200 (515) Magnavox refurb at J&R. They get stock every couple weeks and the recorders are 98% new condition.

Many members here went a little crazy in recent weeks and stockpiled extra Magnavoxes when it was thought they had been permanently discontinued. As word leaks out that there will be no less than three new replacement models available by fall, I expect a TON of these stockpiled spare 513 and 515 recorders will be returned to WalMart, turning up on the WM website or at J&R. Most of those people will want the new models instead, which should create a buying opportunity for those who are fine with the previous near-identical units.

And yes, the hard drive (HDD) feature is a very big deal- trust us when we tell you you'll be much happier with it than without it, esp. if it barely costs you any extra $ over the Toshiba.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

And yes, the hard drive (HDD) feature is a very big deal- trust us when we tell you you'll be much happier with it than without it, esp. if it barely costs you any extra $ over the Toshiba.

Just wanted to be sure you got that message.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Just for the record....I don't know current prices for these but I have a Toshiba 560 DVDR with the same tuners as mentioned. I use DVD+RW discs so I can write over them. I also have a Toshiba 670 DVDR/VCR which I really use constantly. This I think is the only VCR that will record off an antenna...the digital signal. It can record analog with the NTSC tuner and it records digital with the ATSC tuner.....and, as I said, the VCR part records easily the digital signals from an Over the Air Antenna. I paid about $150 for the 560 and about $220 for the 670 combo unit.

Prices now and availability may vary. I still enjoy use the VCR as I do time-shifting and it is too easy to resist. I have checked out the 560 DVDR and the 670 VCR part with my Antenna and the Picture was great.

Nowadays, I don't think there are as many choices as a couple of years ago. You can Google and read about what's available as far as the Toshibas and their prices as well as the Magnavox units. I think you will be happy with any of them so you might want to choose what is priced the best at the present time. Good Luck with whatever you decide. It is true a hard drive unit saves you from using DVDs all the time. I'm still enjoying my VCRs and once in awhile my DVD recorders, especially to make a permanent copy of a movie or show I like.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page