Goodbye DVD Recorder. You've served me well. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
After burning hundreds of DVDs on several recorders over the years, it has finally gone extinct in my household. I retired my last EZ-28 and gave it to a family member. What's changed? Well all my sources are digital now, so I have no use for a stand-alone recorder anymore. I can burn DVDs from my camcorder on a PC. And with my cable card tuner on my HTPC, I can archive any recording to DVD without a stand-alone recorder. I suppose people like me are part of the reason these are going extinct. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I suppose people like me are part of the reason these are going extinct. Sorry.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Just kidding. biggrin.gif DVDR's are closer to the end than the beginning. Congrats for letting it go and moving on.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Darn it, Dave, we all still love ya.* C'mere fer a hug, ya big lug!!

post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

And with my cable card tuner on my HTPC, I can archive any recording to DVD without a stand-alone recorder. I suppose people like me are part of the reason these are going extinct. Sorry.
LOL, when you bought your DVD recorders did you apologize to the VCR crowd for moving on?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am also retiring my DVD recording to move to computer archiving. Keeping all my files on a hard drive allows me to save space and have easy access. Unfortunatly, it will probably take me years to transfer all my DVDs to the computer, but my days of DVD recording are done.

I will keep the recorders for an occasional DVD, but I think this is the future of archiving.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I still like backing up to optical media for those recordings that I know I want to keep. Even though HDD are reliable, they can fail and so one should have a backup. Nice thing is the optical media backups will never be touched unless you need to reload a HDD so they can be stored pristinely and protected.

Burning backups to BD-R is the way to go. 1xBD-R = 5xDVD-R.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

LOL, when you bought your DVD recorders did you apologize to the VCR crowd for moving on?
LOL. Sorry about that 8-track thing too.

But seriously, what little archiving I still do will be on DVD until BD drives and discs are as cheap as DVD or completely replace them. Because of cheap/free streaming and cheap disc rentals, I have very little need to save anything these days. I'm not the type to watch anything more than once or twice anyway. All my HDD usage is just temporary DVR content. Most of it gets deleted after I watch it.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page