Panasonic DMR-EH55: is possible change the built in analog tuner with a DVB-T tuner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi ....simply this question, i have this wonderful Recorder but i can't record the DTT programs.... Hoping you can help me...

greetings Manuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No, it is usually not possible to change the tuner.

There is a small (very small) chance that a factory service center could swap out the tuner module, but it would cost you as much as buying a complete new recorder with the newer tuner. Panasonic made some significant internal changes between the analog and digital models, so the likelihood your EH55 could support a newer digital tuner module is slim to none (the module depends on supporting firmware and hardware missing from your EH55).

You may need to compromise with an external DVB-T tuner box such as this:

http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/graphics/1001det/1001det.shtml

Similar boxes are used by many North American members here to keep older recorders like the EH55 useful with digital broadcasts. Note the external tuner connects via your EH55 SCART or line inputs, so you will probably not be able to use the Guide+ integrated EPG system in the EH55 (unless you can find an external tuner that supports it). If you live in a country with large electronics dealers, you might consider a newer Panasonic with built-in DVB-T: this would be easier to use for timer recording, but would cost more and be missing some nicer features of your EH55 (the current digital-tuner Panasonics are not as luxurious as the older analog models).
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemask View Post

Hi ....simply this question, i have this wonderful Recorder but i can't record the DTT programs.... Hoping you can help me...

greetings Manuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

No, it is usually not possible to change the tuner.

There is a small (very small) chance that a factory service center could swap out the tuner module, but it would cost you as much as buying a complete new recorder with the newer tuner. Panasonic made some significant internal changes between the analog and digital models, so the likelihood your EH55 could support a newer digital tuner module is slim to none (the module depends on supporting firmware and hardware missing from your EH55)...

The parts necessary to accomplish such a project do not exist. See this 2008 post for more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1095152/replacing-analog-tuner/0_60#post_15278207

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you people, i have the external DVB-T decoder connected but all programming features of EH55 are disabled... My hope was the tuner replacement, but i consider the real impossibility to make technical changes and i think is better to buy a new recorder...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page