Panasonic E80H('03) comparisons to newer models - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I had mentioned in another unrelated thread that I had picked up an old('03) Panasonic E80H and instead of continuing my OT comments in that thread I thought it best to start a new thread noting some of the differences between it and newer Panasonics.

I knew the pre '05 Panasonics didn't have full D1 resolution LP(4hr mode) but I didn't know the exact FR flexible record mode set point that caused the switch. For those not familiar with FR it's a setting where you enter in a duration and the DVDR will make one title the size of a standard SL DVD(~4GB). I now know the setting along with several other things that make these pre '05 models less desirable for me but possibly OK for others. This post will be more for users of post '04 Panasonics and what they can expect when purchasing the older models.

#1 Resolution change: XP, SP and FR set to no more than 2hrs 4 minutes will result in full D1 resolution of an excellent quality. FR set to more than 2hrs 4 minutes will result in dropping of the resolution(I'd say to 1/2 D1 but have no way of telling) I can only tell a significant difference when recording a resolution test pattern. The funny thing is that while I can tell a dramatic difference between FR 2hrs 4 minutes and FR 2hrs 5 minutes when recording the test pattern I can hardly tell a difference when recording my "sample recording quality test" which is a 2 minute segment of the animated movie Monsters Inc and shows excellent color and resolution along with fast movement to show macroblocking.
I've done lots of testing over the years with many brands of DVDRs and a drop in test pattern resolution has always shown up as a drop in picture quality on my MI test scene. While I don't like the idea that I'm losing resolution I guess as long as actual recordings look good I should be satisfied. The next major drop in resolution is going from FR 2hrs 59 minutes to FR 3hrs.. I find this drop most puzzling since I assumed 1/2 D1(if thats what the first drop was) would continue through EP(6hr speed) as newer Panasonics do. Note post '04 Panasonics retain full D1 through LP and switch to 1/2 D1 with FR set to 4hrs 1 minute and longer and I believe drop again(1/4 D1??) with EP set to 8hrs('04 and beyond Panasonics have not only EP6 but also EP8).
Personally I'd never really want to use the E80H for LP or above and never EP while with '05 and newer Panasonics I never use EP8 occasionally will use EP6 and have no problem using LP for things like extras or less demanding material(particularly B&W movies).

Thumbnail differences between the E80H and newer Panasonics: '03 and older Panasonics don't generate thumbnails, only a automatically generated one line for titles stating the date and time recorded which can be changed if you wish. I knew this but didn't know how swapping unfinalized DVDs between older and newer Panasonics would work, I now know.
If you record a title on a '03 or older Panasonic and place the unfinalized DVD in a newer Panasonic you'll have thumbnails but generated at the 00:00 mark(unlike titles recorded on newer Panasonics which have thumbnails automatically generated at the 1 min 5 second mark). On a newer Panasonic you can change thumbnails from either disc to any frame in the title but these thumbnails don't show up on the older Panasonics(unless they are finalized in a newer Panasonic).
Taking a unfinalized DVD out of a newer Panasonic and placing in a older Panasonic will result in no thumbnails and all you get will be the date and time(or custom title if you changed it). Personally if I recorded something on this older pre thumbnail Panasonic I'd want to finalize the DVD in one of my newer Panasonics, I really prefer thumbnails to a list menu.

Other notable differences between the E80H and newer Panasonics: The E80H seems to use a 2x burner, using either 8 or 16x media takes ~30 minutes to HS 2200MBs(1/2 full) to DVD. Unlike newer Panasonics NO Higher Speed option on the E80H. HS burning seems to take FOREVER on this model, nothing high speed about it!.
Chapters are called Markers and IMO it's very time consuming to dub and delete multiple titles. To make matters worse when dubbing multiple titles you must chose one at a time and then return the the dubbing menu, then repeat for each title. Compare this to newer Panasonics where you can check multiple titles and copy to dubbing list all at once. Dubbing DVDs with multiple titles seems to take forever to setup using this DVDR.
Pre '05(and post '06) Panasonics have no "phrase save" feature and the '03 E80H model also lacks the shortcut key * which I use all the time for editing titles to give you a SPACE from anywhere in the titling screen.

Overall the E80H recording quality seems as good as my newer Panasonics for faster speeds(basically SP and faster) with decent quality up to 2hrs 59 minutes with reduced resolution but truthfully not very noticeable.
I guess having become accustomed to the editing features of the newer Panasonics(along with ability to fit more time on a DVD in a better quality) I'll probably limit my future purchases to post '04 models(which seem to be harder and harder to fine) but one could sure do worse than these early Panasonic models.

Oh lastly '03 was the first year Panasonic corrected the black level bug from the earlier models, I'm happy to report absolutely no black level issues with this model, blacks are truly black.
Note I did have one failure during HS burning to a Verbatim "life" (CMC) -R DVD but no issues with a Ty 8x -R, I haven't taken it apart to clean the spindle so that might be the issue, or being as old as it is it may truly prefer 8x media(16x probably wasn't even around in '03). I've even had a few issues with the "life" DVDs on my newer Panasonics so it may be more media than dirt related, I generally only use them for PC use but not wanting to waste a DVD for testing I used the cheaper "life" series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HI jjeff, what are the differences in chipsets ie LSI vs. the others.

MickinCT
post #3 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AFAIK all the pre '07 Panasonics Panasonics use Panasonic silicon, just the '07 and newer EZ/EA N. American models used LSI, the international Panasonics still use Panasonic silicon.
Some people actually prefer LSI silicon for reduced macroblocking which I've never noticed but I do notice the bugs and quirks in the way Panasonic implemented the LSI silicon so I really try and steer clear of such models.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I edited the OP resolution change points. I was going off memory and after deferring to my notes I found several errors redface.gif
(note with the old forum I could have given a reason for updating the OP but just another feature lacking in this new forum mad.gif) although I guess I should count my blessings, unless things have changed at some point in the future we will no longer be able to edit a post more than a few minutes old(or until someone has posted after it, whichever comes first eek.gif).
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still have a E80H sitting in the closet. I only used it for about 3-4 months when I had a disc stuck in it. When
I took to local Panasonic dealer to fix it they refused to because they said there were ants in the unit. It been
in the original box in the closet ever since. Tried to sale it for parts once with no luck.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That's very odd as that unit was not buggy at all!

biggrin.gif

...runs away ducking...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

biggrin.gif
...runs away ducking...

Yep, Worked for 3-4 months without no problems. Next thing I could not remove a disc and took it in to be fixed under warranty.
2 Hours later they called me up and told me to come on down and pick up the unit. They said they could not fix it under warranty.
Because there were lots of ants in it. So I went down to Panasonic and they had it off to the side in a plastic container. The cover
was off and they had gotten the discs out. And they were these very small ants all in the unit. I had never seen any at home on the
unit. Of course I never opened the cover since I did not want to screw up the warranty. They told me they could fix it but it would
cost about $500. Almost what I had paid for it. I said hell no and brought it home. I can a can of compressed air and blew out all
the ants. Plugged it back in and could never get it to power back up.

Now I think about this I went into the closet and it's the Panny HS2 model and not the E80H model. I guess it has been so long.
I did have a E80H also, that is the unit I purchased to replace the HS2 model. I believe I even found a replacement 40GB HD for
the HS2 and that did not help. It still will not power up to this day.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif
...runs away ducking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post

Now I think about this I went into the closet and it's the Panny HS2 model and not the E80H model. I guess it has been so long.
I did have a E80H also, that is the unit I purchased to replace the HS2 model. I believe I even found a replacement 40GB HD for
the HS2 and that did not help. It still will not power up to this day.

Actually the HS2 did have the black level bug.......at least for those living in N. America, for the rest of the world the 0 IRE was just fine, not sure where Chingu808 lives.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Actually the HS2 did have the black level bug.......at least for those living in N. America, for the rest of the world the 0 IRE was just fine, not sure where Chingu808 lives.

Yes your right it does have the black level bug. I think I read about it here or maybe it was from some other forum. I live in Hawaii.

I purchased it back in March 2003, after it kicked the bucket picked up the E80H in July the same year. In June 2005 I picked up the e500H. And knock on wood it has been going strong. Although a few years ago the dvd-ram drive and a board in it was replaced under warranty. But I have no warranty on it no more since Panasonic refused to offer me a warranty since it was over 5 years old. This is my only dvd recorder I have left. I did have a brand new E75H sitting in the closet a number of years. But finally sold it for a pretty penny about 2-3 years ago.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post

I still have a E80H sitting in the closet. I only used it for about 3-4 months when I had a disc stuck in it. When
I took to local Panasonic dealer to fix it they refused to because they said there were ants in the unit. It been
in the original box in the closet ever since. Tried to sale it for parts once with no luck.

Quote:

biggrin.gif
...runs away ducking...

Quote:

Goof grief jjeff! IT WAS A JOKE!eek.gif

SHEESH!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Goof grief jjeff! IT WAS A JOKE!eek.gif
SHEESH!
As was I smile.gif
I thought I was kind of clever quoting the black level issue, which was actually called a "bug" back in the day tongue.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As was I smile.gif
I thought I was kind of clever quoting the black level issue, which was actually called a "bug" back in the day tongue.gif
Panasonic would call the black level "issue" a feature, NOT a bug. It's only considered a bug by us in North America.rolleyes.gif

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page