Hi8 to DVD Conversion Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took dozens of Hi8 tapes over the years and want to transfer them to DVD. Which would provide the highest quality?

1) My old camcorder still works, and provides S-video output. I also have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder with S-video input and a hard drive. I can definitely use the two to burn DVD's, but the weak link in the chain might be the S-video bridge between the two.

2) I could also buy a new Digital 8 camcorder that can play the Hi8 and output directly to my computer using firewire or USB.

Thank you for your advice. Some of these were from car races in the 90's that my friends haven't seen in years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextep View Post

I took dozens of Hi8 tapes over the years and want to transfer them to DVD. Which would provide the highest quality?
1) My old camcorder still works, and provides S-video output. I also have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder with S-video input and a hard drive. I can definitely use the two to burn DVD's, but the weak link in the chain might be the S-video bridge between the two.
2) I could also buy a new Digital 8 camcorder that can play the Hi8 and output directly to my computer using firewire or USB.
Thank you for your advice. Some of these were from car races in the 90's that my friends haven't seen in years.
I have done it both ways and my results seem to be the same either way. My Hi-8 tapes are starting to lose their oxide, especially my Sony MP tapes with the purple label. I have found that playing those tapes in my Canon L2 produces almost no head clogs but my D8 camcorders cause a lot of head clogs. The heads on D8 camcorders seem to be sharper and dislodge oxide that is starting to get loose. Since I can't see any picture difference I use the L2 to transfer all of my analog tapes to my DMR-E95 and I use a D8 camcorder to transfer my D8 tapes.

Using the firewire output on the D8's allow me to get video into my laptop if I want to use MS MovieMaker to do a little editing but I have only done that once because MovieMaker is fairly limited and it fills up my HDD real fast. I suffered on that video because of what I think was too little free HDD space. It would be fine for short video clips but for 2 hour video tapes, my laptop HDD is just too small (160 GB) or maybe I have too many emails with pictures. saved?

If I were you I would just use the camcorder that took the video and use the S-Video connection into E80H.

Dave
post #3 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 View Post

If I were you I would just use the camcorder that took the video and use the S-Video connection into E80H.
Dave
I agree, that's what I did with my Sony Hi8 and the results came out quite good......well as good as the original tape that is.
Oh and with a E80H I'd try and not go over SP or FR set to 2hrs 4 minutes if you want full D1 resolution. The only issue is the E80H doesn't produce thumbnails for titles but if your OK with that it should be just fine.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page