Panasonic dmr eh59 purple-green picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having issues with my dmr-eh59. Occasionally, after several hours of use, the tv picture loses its normal colors and the colors go purple and green (or so it appears). Basically it looks like certain colors are missing from the picture. I'm using a hdmi cable to connect the machine to the tv, so it can't be an rgb issue. I've tried switching hdmi cables, to no avail. Colors on other devices connected to the tv (blu-ray, satellite) remain normal. The issue is definitely coming from the dvd-r. I've also had the tv screen go black. Both issues can be resolved by powering the machine off.

I've only had the machine for a few months. I had an E85 for years and rarely experienced problems with it. I'm pleased with the new machine, but concerned that it seems faulty right out of the box. I certainly don't think I should have to reset my machine every time I use it. Has anyone experienced similar issues or know what might be causing the problem?

Thanks for any and all input! I've read the forums for years, but only just contributed. Hope I've set this up right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundi View Post

I'm having issues with my dmr-eh59. Occasionally, after several hours of use, the tv picture loses its normal colors and the colors go purple and green (or so it appears). Basically it looks like certain colors are missing from the picture. I'm using a hdmi cable to connect the machine to the tv, so it can't be an rgb issue. I've tried switching hdmi cables, to no avail. Colors on other devices connected to the tv (blu-ray, satellite) remain normal. The issue is definitely coming from the dvd-r. I've also had the tv screen go black. Both issues can be resolved by powering the machine off.
I've only had the machine for a few months. I had an E85 for years and rarely experienced problems with it. I'm pleased with the new machine, but concerned that it seems faulty right out of the box. I certainly don't think I should have to reset my machine every time I use it. Has anyone experienced similar issues or know what might be causing the problem?
Thanks for any and all input! I've read the forums for years, but only just contributed. Hope I've set this up right.

Have you tried other outputs on the machine that are not HDMI?

Have you tried to reset the machine to factory settings and see what happens?

Are there any firmware updates for your model?

Is it still under warranty?

What you describe sounds like a component failing and probably wont get any better. You need to isolate the problem by checking other output connections.
There are a few Panny gurus on this forum that will chime in soon and help you down the path to a solution.

To check FW version:
Step 1. Check the firmware version currently installed in your DVD recorder

Follow the steps below to check the firmware version currently installed in your Panasonic DVD recorder.

Steps
Turn on the main unit.
Press the [FUNCTION MENU] button on the remote control to open the display menu screen.
Using the Up and Down cursor buttons on the remote control, select the "Others" tab.
Using the Up and Down cursor buttons, select the "Setup" tab.
Select the "Display" tab - "Display" items will appear.
Press the "STATUS" button on the remote control. The current firmware version for your recorder will be displayed in the lower right hand corner of the screen (e.g. "1.1").

Please make note of this version number.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Lundi, I have not ran into this problem with either of my EH-59s, one is over a year old and the other is quite new.
I'd agree with Morc258 in trying different outputs, preferably component. I understand the want to use HDMI(thats what I use with my EH-59s) but if component works OK it might be easier than trying to get the HDMI output fixed which since the unit only has a 30 day warranty(unless your outside N. America) would probably cost quite a bit to diagnose and fix.
Component should be comparable picture quality to HDMI but of course requires more cables and also audio cables.
I don't think it's a firmware issue but it doesn't hurt to check, sounds more like a hardware failure when it heats up.
Lastly, when it fails have you tried wiggling the HDMI cable near the EH-59? that or gently tap on things along the back of the EH-59, it's possible you problem is mechanical in which case repair would be easier by yourself, local repair shop or even forum member Mickinct. Of course Mick may look at it either way but intermittent problems are generally quite tricky to find smile.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I would guess, just give what youhave told us here, that it is an electrical connection "failure" due to heat. This does happen, though rarely. As jjeff as said, they can be very tricky to find. If it happens with the HDMI but not the component outputs, then it's limited to the HDMI section, if it happens with the component output too, then it's further up the chain. If it happens with the composite output, it's system wide and will be a real problem to find.

Does it still record properly when the color goes out? Try making a test recording when the failure is evident, and when the color is back, play that recording back and see if it was properly recorded. That information would be useful to have.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fixable.

MickinCT
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Fixable.

Ah, a man of many words!

I suspect a cold solder joint somewhere, blocking the red signal. What do you think?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HDMI Interface Board could be the cause, 50 50 > that's where to start. recheck the connectors.

MickinCT
post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundi View Post

Did you ever get your EH59 fixed? If so, how did it go, and if not, why, and what are you doing since being deprived of the EH59?

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page