Pannasonic DMR-E80 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a bunch of Hockey games that I need to move either to a DVD or my PC. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.
What would provide me with the best quality? Burning directly to a DVD-R from the E80 or through a capture video tuner?
Also, my capture video card only has s-video. Would I preserve any quality if I purchase a capture card with component inputs? If so, can someone recommend a budget one?
I noticed that during hockey gameplay the video play seems gittery(not sure what you call it) but during non gameplay(intermission, faceoffs) it's fine. Is their a setting that I should be enabling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Nothing can get better quality than a HS copy off your E80Hs HDD, it's bit for bit. If you want to do editing on your PC most people burn to RW(but your E80H only does RAM and -R) so -R would be the easiest or RAM if you want to reuse the disc and your PC drive supports RAM. After burning the DVD, copy it to your PCs HDD where you can do your editing.
Not sure about your last sentence, if your talking about jitters during pausing make sure you've selected FIELD in the setup/video menu.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Nothing can get better quality than a HS copy off your E80Hs HDD, it's bit for bit. If you want to do editing on your PC most people burn to RW(but your E80H only does RAM and -R) so -R would be the easiest or RAM if you want to reuse the disc and your PC drive supports RAM. After burning the DVD, copy it to your PCs HDD where you can do your editing.
Not sure about your last sentence, if your talking about jitters during pausing make sure you've selected FIELD in the setup/video menu.

Thanks for the reply.

Seems like the gameplay is too fast for the framerate. Does that make sense?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Possible, or something isn't quite right about the framerate that the DVDR doesn't like but playing straight to a display smooths over the issue. Sorry, I've never recorded from such a source so I'm just guessing smile.gif
I have read online various problems when people try and record from video games, so you aren't the first.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I noticed that during hockey gameplay the video play seems gittery(not sure what you call it) but during non gameplay(intermission, faceoffs) it's fine. Is their a setting that I should be enabling?
What record mode are you using? It sounds like you are using a quality that is too compressed for the action of the games, which is why the limitation shows up during the game-play (lots of action) but not in the non-game-play (less ation). Try increasing the quality of your recordings and see if the issue goes away. XP, SP, LP, EP6, EP8 are the record modes, and they have progressively lower quality and greater compression. On Panasonic machines, LP is especially prone to motion artifacts because Panasonic made a decision to maintain the full D1 resolution at the cost of bitrate, so fast moving action can stutter, or become jittery. In some cases, it can breakup, completely pixelating. Some content, like falling rain, can be a BIG problem for LP mode.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Quote:
What record mode are you using? It sounds like you are using a quality that is too compressed for the action of the games, which is why the limitation shows up during the game-play (lots of action) but not in the non-game-play (less ation). Try increasing the quality of your recordings and see if the issue goes away. XP, SP, LP, EP6, EP8 are the record modes, and they have progressively lower quality and greater compression. On Panasonic machines, LP is especially prone to motion artifacts because Panasonic made a decision to maintain the full D1 resolution at the cost of bitrate, so fast moving action can stutter, or become jittery. In some cases, it can breakup, completely pixelating. Some content, like falling rain, can be a BIG problem for LP mode.

First of thanks for the response. The pixelating happens on the playback from the E80 which is recorded in SP mode. You think I should try recording in XP mode?

Any thoughts on how much quality I lose when I burn it to my PC through the capture card in WMC? Once on the PC HD , I run it through MCEbuddy which compressed it to mpv and removes the commercials and does a pretty good job of it. If I cut out the commercials and intermissions on my e80 I can fit games under 2 hours for the DVD-r but it takes about 45 minutes to edit.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Quote:

First of thanks for the response. The pixelating happens on the playback from the E80 which is recorded in SP mode. You think I should try recording in XP mode?

Any thoughts on how much quality I lose when I burn it to my PC through the capture card in WMC? Once on the PC HD , I run it through MCEbuddy which compressed it to mpv and removes the commercials and does a pretty good job of it. If I cut out the commercials and intermissions on my e80 I can fit games under 2 hours for the DVD-r but it takes about 45 minutes to edit.
And of course, I just remembered that the E80 came out before Panasonic made that change to their formatting. I am sure that your E80 does not use full D1 at LP, so that was incorrect information. Sorry.

Well, I would at least try it and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, then you can be sure it's a bitrate issue. If it does not, then you will have to look elsewhere. That's the best I can come up with right now.rolleyes.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page