DVD VCR Recoder Player W/ Digital tuner ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I never implied anything by my comment that Kelson has twice as many posts as I do. It was merely an observation. I certainly did not intend to suggest that the more posts you have, the more you know. In my experience, many of those who talk too much are really the ones saying the least, but using a lot of words to in the process. That certaily does not apply to anyone here, in this forum--no sir! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I joined about four months after you. Yes, there has been a lot of water under the bridge. The DVD recorder market sure has changed since Dec 2004.
It's interesting to see the divergent recording paths we took over the years starting from our Panasonic roots. Perhaps we will once again converge up ahead.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

I joined about four months after you. Yes, there has been a lot of water under the bridge. The DVD recorder market sure has changed since Dec 2004.
It's interesting to see the divergent recording paths we took over the years starting from our Panasonic roots. Perhaps we will once again converge up ahead.
It is also is interestng to think about some members that used to post a lot, then a little, then they disappeared. I miss some of those "personalities" from the past. I suppose they are still around, just not posting in this forum any longer.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #34 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

It is also is interestng to think about some members that used to post a lot, then a little, then they disappeared. I miss some of those "personalities" from the past. I suppose they are still around, just not posting in this forum any longer.
Yes, Vferrari and Rgazzara come quickly to mind, but let's not forget HoustonGuy and squonk (banned).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #35 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You are correct, Hustonguy and Vferrari were two I was thinking about when I wrote that.

Luke

post #36 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wajo : The unit I purchased is Newly Refurbished an hopefully is fully updated , I'll check that aspect upon receipt and hookup .

I found NO new stock of any of the Maggie units , as I'm assuming it's the period of lull before new models an stock .

I simply figured if this suffices the Wife's needs , I can move on with my projects . Appreciate the links an Info . Thanks ...

I can only imagine that Some of us have registered under different aliases and have accumulated multiple years , if anyone was to keep score .

A wise person once explained too Me : Quantity isn't Quality it's what's accomplished an left unsaid which accounts for ones character an self worth .

For what it's worth he also said : " Save some You might Marry a Mule someday " Whenever someone addressed him as Hey . A Tidbit of History .
post #37 of 55 Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I don't post much anymore because I'm like "Mr. Ed" (in that) I speak only when I have something to say.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #38 of 55 Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

In re-reading this thread, I'm surprised to see I haven't mentioned the Panasonic alternatives to the Magnavox recorders. I may have focused too much on your first post, DocCarbon, which mentioned needing the digital tuner to record off-air TV.
If you eventually decide to go the route of buying two systems (one for the wife to record TV, and one to dedicate to your tape transfers), I would recommend you look into the Panasonic DMR-EH59. This is a "global import" DVD/HDD recorder that costs roughly $349 from respected dealers like B&H Photo Video. The basic design is similar to the Magnavox, but with many more subtle adjustments and handy convenience features that make tape dubbing more flexible and productive. You do sacrifice the tuner capability, as the Panasonic can only record North American video signals via line input (external tuner box or VCR). But you don't use the tuner when dubbing VHS, and the EH59 is distinctly more pleasant to use for editing and titling than the Magnavox.

I want to second Citybear's excellent suggestion, Magnavox for its very convenient tuner, AND THE PANASONIC for its superb edit function. The EH59 is advertised now for $315 from J&R, shipping included. The Panasonic has a PLAYLIST feature which allows editting, combining, resequencing, selection of specific scenes from any or multiple titles on the HDD, all without altering the oringinal title (file) on the HDD. In case of "Oops", simply start over- or do periodic copies of the Playlist and restart from your last good Copy.

I do nearly all my editting on the Panasonic, a very limited amount of trimming (which is about all you can do) on the Magnavox of wife's sewing programs. I do no editting on the pc.
post #39 of 55 Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In re-reading this thread, I'm surprised to see I haven't mentioned the Panasonic alternatives to the Magnavox recorders...
Quote:
I want to second Citybear's excellent suggestion...

Everyone here knows I am a great proponent of the Panasonic DVD recorders (though I am liking my Magnavox 515 quite a lot lately). I would certainly have brought it up, but the thread title specifically says "WITH DIGITAL TUNER" and the Panasonic does NOT have a digital tuner.

If the OP is willing to forgo the digital tuner, then I completely agree with what CitiBear and RichardT have said. The editing featiures are the best available today, and the playlist feature is amazingly useful, as I have posted several times. If the digital tuner is not essential, you will not regret getting an EH59 or 69.

Luke

post #40 of 55 Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 PM

HI, I just registered for this excellent-seeming site, though I'm somewhat trepidatious lest I look like a total fool. I'm very non-tecchie. After having read the above comment thread very carefully, as it seems to apply directly to my problem, I'm still not sure just what to do.

I have a ~6-yo Panasonic VCR/VHS recorder/player with no digital tuner. I have a brand-new 40" Samsung LED HDTV. This week I got a Comcast "cable box," as my 25yo TV died and Comcast changed to "all-digital" 3 weeks ago, both at the same time. It was soooo complicated to even set it up.... thank God for my tecchie neighbor. NOW I'm finding (like so many others, it seems) that my entire video-viewing lifestyle of long duration has been obliterated. SOB! I love VHS tapes and have hundreds of them. I never watch anything "real-time" but only have time to watch in the wee small hours. I also camp all the time and take the VHS tapes I recorded off the TV to play in my VHS player in my camper van. I hate to do DVD recording as it is so complicated -- but I guess I could learn. But I love the VHS player in my van and can't imagine not having and using it!

After finally getting things set up, I find I can record off the TV onto VHS tapes just like before. But I can't program it to record on different channels cuz it "can't change the channels;" I'd have to come do that with my own little hand. Problem is: I WON'T BE AT HOME TO DO IT! And it has to be on VHS, dammit, not DVD!

People keep telling me to get a "DVD/VHS Player/Recorder with Digital Tuner." "That'll solve your problems!" they say. But the more I read, the more it looks like there aren't any machines that both have a digital tuner AND will let you tape VHS tapes!

I've been trying to research this horrible mess night and day x the last 3 days but, being technologically stupid, I continue to be confused. Mainly, IS THERE ANY MACHINE OUT THERE (or 2 machines that could be hooked together?) that can do the following: (1) Record/playback both VHS and DVD tapes. (2) Let me record on multiple channels without being here to manually change the channel on that damn box.... and (3) let me watch one thing while recording something else? No. 3 isn't totally important, but #'s 1 and 2 are! I guess I'd be willing to set up a 2nd TV and recorder, which would take some of the burden off. Then, maybe, I could get one of those "HDD" things to record into the black box (ugh), and use the 2nd setup for my VHS recording.

Also, people say if I got the right "digital tuner," then I could skip Comcast altogether and send back their little cable box and just pull the stations "out of the air." But I fear I wouldn't get some of the stations I like if I did that. And other people say, "No, you'd still need the cable service no matter what." What's the answer? Maybe I could get a little handheld digital TV to get those other stations the cable doesn't provide and call it good...

What do you think? Are these stupid questions? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much, Cindy Black in Seattle
To the “AVS Forums” Website, 2/8/13:
HI, I just registered for this excellent-seeming site, though I'm somewhat trepidatious lest I look like a total fool. I'm very non-tecchie. After having read the above comment thread very carefully, as it seems to apply directly to my problem, I'm still not sure just what to do.

I have a ~6-yo Panasonic VCR/VHS recorder/player with no digital tuner. I have a brand-new 40" Samsung LED HDTV. This week I got a Comcast "cable box," as my 25yo TV died and Comcast changed to "all-digital" 3 weeks ago, both at the same time. It was soooo complicated to even set it up.... thank God for my tecchie neighbor. NOW I'm finding (like so many others, it seems) that my entire video-viewing lifestyle of long duration has been obliterated. SOB! I love VHS tapes and have hundreds of them. I never watch anything "real-time" but only have time to watch in the wee small hours. I also camp all the time and take the VHS tapes I recorded off the TV to play in my VHS player in my camper van. I hate to do DVD recording as it is so complicated -- but I guess I could learn. But I love the VHS player in my van and can't imagine not having and using it!

After finally getting things set up, I find I can record off the TV onto VHS tapes just like before. But I can't program it to record on different channels cuz it "can't change the channels;" I'd have to come do that with my own little hand. Problem is: I WON'T BE AT HOME TO DO IT! And it has to be on VHS, dammit, not DVD!

People keep telling me to get a "DVD/VHS Player/Recorder with Digital Tuner." "That'll solve your problems!" they say. But the more I read, the more it looks like there aren't any machines that both have a digital tuner AND will let you tape VHS tapes!

I've been trying to research this horrible mess night and day x the last 3 days but, being technologically stupid, I continue to be confused. Mainly, IS THERE ANY MACHINE OUT THERE (or 2 machines that could be hooked together?) that can do the following: (1) Record/playback both VHS and DVD tapes. (2) Let me record on multiple channels without being here to manually change the channel on that damn box.... and (3) let me watch one thing while recording something else? No. 3 isn't totally important, but #'s 1 and 2 are! I guess I'd be willing to set up a 2nd TV and recorder, which would take some of the burden off. Then, maybe, I could get one of those "HDD" things to record into the black box (ugh), and use the 2nd setup for my VHS recording.

Also, people say if I got the right "digital tuner," then I could skip Comcast altogether and send back their little cable box. But I fear I wouldn't get some of the stations I like if I did that. But maybe I could get a little handheld digital TV to get those stations and call it good...

What do you think? Are these stupid questions? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much, Cindy Black in Seattle

PS, I looked at the Panasonic DMR EZ48VP-K 1080p VHS DVD Recorder with Built-In Tuner. It's kinda expensive. But do you think it'd fill the bill?
post #41 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Welcome to AVS, I'll try and answer a couple of your questions.

1. To find out if you need the cable box or not hook your cable coax directly to your TV, do a channel scan(specifying cable if asked). If you get ALL the channels you'd want to record then something like the Panasonic EZ-48v may work for you. If there are channels you can't get on your TV tuner that you'd want to record then things get more complicated. If your only talking about one or two channels that won't tune on your TV that you'd like to record then you might be able to get by using both a converter box and direct coax connection to something like a EZ-48v. Just know like you've found, you can't remotely change the channel on the converter box, whatever channel you left it on is the only one you'd be able to record but with something like a EZ-48v you can record from both the line input and channels from it's built in tuner when your away. A problem may be that the cheap DTA converters only have RF output, to use the dual method I described you'd need a slightly more expensive per month STB converter box that had line outputs(which can have issues themselves).

2. The Panasonic EZ-48v may look like it can do it all(VHS and DVD) but it's kind of complicated and does have it's bugs, mostly having to do with it's digital tuner and what cable companies can do to the signal to thwart people from trying to do what you'd be trying to do. IMO a EZ-48v may be OK for a real "techie" who can work around it's quirks but truthfully I think it might be too much for even the average user to use, let alone a novice. I consider myself a techie but the EZ-48v was too much a bother for me and the only digital tuner DVDR I have is a EZ-28 which is similar to the EZ-48v but lacks the VHS side and many of the issues that come with it.

3. While this option may be the most expensive(monthly that is since in the short run you'd actually save money by not having to buy new equipment) renting a cable company DVR and then copying off it in realtime to your existing equipment would be a option. This option also has the advantage of allowing you to watch your programs in real HD to your new HDTV but make copies(on VHS or DVD) to be able to play in your van or wherever you want. It may seem like twice the work but you'd just be basically using the cable company DVR to temporarily store your programs and copy off it when your are home or even before you go to bed.
I do a similar thing with my Tivo (which can be purchase for ~$600 with no monthly fees other than a couple bucks for a Cable Card if you have cable, I only use an antenna so I don't have any fees). With the Tivo you'd do the same thing as a cable company DVR but you'd avoid whatever monthly charge your cable company charged for a DVR rental.

4. Antenna only, this is how I record but if you don't live in a good signal area or you like to record from cable only channels, We, A&E, Bravo, Disc, TNT, etc. the antenna method will not work for you.

5. Lastly, even if you go the EZ-48v method that is not saying it will work forever, many/most? cable systems have said they will be scrambling everything in the near future and if that was the case then your only option would be recording from a converter box(or cable company DVR or Tivo) the EZ-48v's digital tuner would be all but worthless.

Things can get very complicated and it's not a fault, pay TV providers make lots of money by renting DVRs, they don't really make any money if you do it yourself, follow the money and see what option they'd like to make easiest.........
post #42 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

The Panasonic EZ48 (and it's previous model EZ47) will not record from the digital channel onto the VHS side. A silly limitation that reduces it's timeshifting capability. The only combo unit with digital tuner that records to both dvd and VHS is the Magnavox ZV457MG9. They're getting harder to find-Waimart used to have them in stock online, and used & refurbished units can be had at ebay.

The digital tuners in these recorders WILL NOT allow you to receive any scrambled basic cable channels from the cable company-only the digital HD local broadcast station (and with some cable systems, their analog SD versions). Most cable cos provide one full sized cable box along with maybe 2 smaller DTAs per account. The larger box, if it has the proper composite outputs, will allow you to connect it to a recorder, enabling you to record the box's feed on the Recorder's Line Input. The program guide on the full size box should allow you to set program timers-essentially, turning to the proper channel at the program start time, where your recorder can then record. But the smaller boxes have no such capability, and would have to be left on the channel of the show you'd want while away.

To summarize-You will be able to set the recorder for multiple timer recs on the local tv station while you're away, same as you're done before. Cable chs thru the line input. But the flexibility we once had has been severely diminished.

But once you get a dvd recorder, switching to discs may turn out better for your viewing while camping. A dvd player in your camper  can replace the vcr. The Magnavox and Panasonic EZ48 use DVD-RW discs, which can be recorded to and then played back on other dvd players and then erased and recorded to again. DVD-RW discs must be 'finalied', a simple step the recorder makes to allow playback on other players. DVD+RWs do not require the finaling step, you can remove them from the recorder and instantly playback on another player.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Magnavox-ZV457MG9-Digital-Tuner-HDMI-DVD-VCR-Recorder-Refurbished/4213335/product.html

You may find used units at ebay, but, for longer life cycle-and peace of mind, a refurb may be a better option.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #43 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Will that Magnavox output VHS over HDMI? I know some combos would only output the DVD side over HDMI and you'd have to use composite(not even component) for VHS output.
Very nice price for a combo recorder, especially for one with a digital tuner. For that price I'd expect a VCR DVD player with analog tuner, nice find.
post #44 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #45 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Hmmm...that notice wasn't there when I looked this morning. Guess it's ebay for a good used one then.

And I don't know if it'll out the vhs through HDMI.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #46 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I cant remember if it had that out of stock warning when I looked earlier.......it looks pretty obvious now so I'd think it wasn't, although I've learned that some companies(Tiger Direct for one) tend to list things(particularly DVDRs) for years after they were out of stock mad.gif I think they just want people to keep checking their website!
post #47 of 55 Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Magnavox-ZV457MG9-Digital-Tuner-HDMI-DVD-VCR-Recorder-Refurbished/4213335/product.html

You may find used units at ebay, but, for longer life cycle-and peace of mind, a refurb may be a better option.

I have more than a little experience with the earlier model, the ZV450. It's really a decent product but there is a bit of a learning curve to operate it at it's full potential.

I just read the customer reviews for the ZV457 at overstock. Most of the complaints come from those who haven't read the Owners Manual:

The DVD tray won't open ... until the user has run the setup routines, clock settings, channel scan, etc.

The DVD tray can't be opened. Perhaps the user has pressed the Timer Set button. Press the Timer Set button a second time to regain control of the recorder.

The clock is well off the correct time. The user should set the clock manually and turn off Auto Clock.

With such folks thinking they have a defective unit and returning it, there will surely be a continuing supply of refurbs that go through the reburbishing process a second time after which they will be back in stock.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #48 of 55 Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

3. While this option may be the most expensive(monthly that is since in the short run you'd actually save money by not having to buy new equipment) renting a cable company DVR and then copying off it in realtime to your existing equipment would be a option. This option also has the advantage of allowing you to watch your programs in real HD to your new HDTV but make copies(on VHS or DVD) to be able to play in your van or wherever you want. It may seem like twice the work but you'd just be basically using the cable company DVR to temporarily store your programs and copy off it when your are home or even before you go to bed.

I actually think this is the best option, CindyMBlack. The DVR can do a whole slew of things to record while you're not at home, including two channels at the same time (or more if you go the TiVo route), all in HD. Then when you want to make some VHS recordings, just have a VCR hooked up to a composite (yellow plug) output and have the DVR playback to the VCR. The DVR can even record another show (or two) while playing back for the VCR to record. You can do your requirements 2 and 3 with a DVR, with #1 being an intermediate DVR recording before putting on VHS. Playback for DVD can be done with a cheap DVD or Blu-ray player.

And the recording on the DVR is as simple as selecting programs (or even entire seasons of TV shows to record automatically) off its program guide. Once you're used to it, it's far easier than VHS recording (no timers to mess with) and way far easier than DVD recording (no finalizing, etc.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #49 of 55 Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well that was a long week wasn't it !. Got super busy on other projects an slipped this one on the caboose burner . All is well and it's working wonderfully and has been all these months . I'm having some difficulty dubbing a VCR onto the HDD but once I get that wrapped ,should be able to burn it onto a DVD . Not sure the unit has any problems ,I think it's just my lack of understanding concerning which menu to setup for recording off the VCR . if I get stuck I'll holler for help .
post #50 of 55 Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM

I read your review and got a lot of good information out of it. I have a Panasonic 48v and have had it for five years. The playback heads recently went bad and there no fixes. I had a modest amount of luck transferring my tapes to disc, but it makes you jump through so many hoops that by the time you get it to record you have forgot exactly how you did it. One of my main concerns, besides the fact that it seems any signal you input seems to travel around the solar system before the machine will obey the command. One of the most frustrating things about it is the difficulty reading blank discs. Often I would put in a new disc and the machine would tell me there was no disc in the machine. Luckily I bought replacement insurance on it so if they can't fix it I get my money back. Frankly I'm betting on the refund.
Thanks again for the information and I will look for the Toshiba.
post #51 of 55 Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by common sense View Post

... I have a Panasonic 48v and have had it for five years. The playback heads recently went bad and there no fixes. ... One of the most frustrating things about it is the difficulty reading blank discs. Often I would put in a new disc and the machine would tell me there was no disc in the machine. Luckily I bought replacement insurance on it so if they can't fix it I get my money back. Frankly I'm betting on the refund...

See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

post #52 of 55 Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 AM

There are digital VCR recorders out there one is JVCHM-30000U, and Philips DVD/ VCR combo DVDR3545V. These has a VCR with digital tuner.

As far as Comcast I can not help you there.

post #53 of 55 Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intell seeker View Post

There are digital VCR recorders out there one is JVCHM-30000U, and Philips DVD/ VCR combo DVDR3545V. These has a VCR with digital tuner.
As far as Comcast I can not help you there.

Do those devices have a "digital tuner" that provides ATSC (antenna) and clear QAM (cable) reception?

In my area (Portland Oregon) Comcast has recently "scrambled" all the QAM signals rendering all third-party QAM tuners (without cable cards) as obsolete. Now one must have Comcast provided converters, DVRs or DTAs.

post #54 of 55 Old 11-29-2013, 06:27 PM

DigaDo

Do those devices have a "digital tuner" that provides ATSC (antenna) and clear QAM (cable) reception?, was your question.

As I stated in my original post, I do not know of Comcast, as I have never tried it. But I do know that a VCR with a digital tuner is like a digital TV.

I, also know, that they work with Cox cable. With cable one must connect the TV to the cable box, and cable box to the VCR, besides a wire from the VCR to the TV. On some TVs there is only one coaxial stub for an antenna and a 3 plugs (yellow, red and white). Since the cable box will use the stub, one will have to use 3 wires (yellow, red and white) to go from the VCR to the TV. Also, one needs to scan the TV for channels and the VCR. After I did this, it worked perfectly with COX cable.

However, since I have no experience with Comcast, I do not know.

post #55 of 55 Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intell seeker View Post

You might be thinking of a different JVC model, like DRMV-150B. The JVC HM-DH 30000U is a discontinued, expensive DVHS vcr designed for the older analog USA/Canada broadcasts and analog cable frequencies. It has no DVD section, is only a VCR. Like most DVHS, nearly useless for HDTV recording unless you have a compatible external HDTV tuner with FireWire connection. It is a good VCR for dubbing VHS to digital when used as a playback deck into a PC or DVD recorder, but it has no "digital" tuner in the modern DTV sense (the kind a Panasonic EZ48v has).

The Philips DVDR3545V is a discontinued DVD/VHS combo recorder, which does have a modern digital DTV tuner for ATSC and QAM signals, similar to the Panasonic EZ48v.

Most people with boxless cable have discovered they need to get a decoder box after their cable company aggressively scrambles more channels, as Comcast and Time Warner have recently done. The digital QAM tuner is of no use with these modified channels, but can still pick up a few unscrambled channels. It depends on your cable company and location. But with Time Warner up for sale now, its a sure bet ComCast will buy them and get even more aggressive with ruining Clear-QAM compatibility. ComCast and TWC together would cover a huge percentage of USA cable households.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page