Panasonic DMR ES30V disc problems- recording and reading - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I've had a Panasonic DMR ES30V for a few years now although it has not had all that much use, especially in the last couple of years.

It has now started having problems reading home recorded discs and also writing to discs.

When attempting to record it stops after about 30 seconds and either displays a message about there being a problem with the disc or goes into a prolonged self check loop and can only be persuaded to open the disc tray after turning it off and on a couple of times.

When attempting to read discs it displays the read message for a long time and then goes into a prolonged self check loop. This happens both with unfinalised and finalised discs. However, the finalised discs work fine in a Philips DVD player and in a PC.

Although it has problems with home recorded discs it doesn't appear to have any problems with commercially recorded DVDs which it plays fine.

Any thoughts as to the likely problem? Is the DVD drive on the way out? Or would opening the unit up and cleaning the lens and spindle help?

If the DVD Drive is at fault would an aftermarket PC drive be a suitable replacement or did Panasonic use a proprietary drive? If the drive unit is changed will that affect the ability to read unfinalised DVDs recorded on the old drive unit?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I would try cleaning the spindle first, that or try some Ty 8x DVDs which have a slightly tactile bottom which greatly helps the spindle to hold the disc.
If neither help your best bet would be to send Mickinct a PM message. He has repaired many drives for AVS members and I've never heard a bad word about his work.
Yes the drive is proprietary and even if you could find a exact replacement it wold be cost prohibitive. A donor machine might be a option but as the ES-30v is 7 years old they are getting hard to find and even if you did it's possible the replacement may have issues too.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce172 View Post

Hello

I've had a Panasonic DMR ES30V for a few years now although it has not had all that much use, especially in the last couple of years.

It has now started having problems reading home recorded discs and also writing to discs.

When attempting to record it stops after about 30 seconds and either displays a message about there being a problem with the disc or goes into a prolonged self check loop and can only be persuaded to open the disc tray after turning it off and on a couple of times.

When attempting to read discs it displays the read message for a long time and then goes into a prolonged self check loop. This happens both with unfinalised and finalised discs. However, the finalised discs work fine in a Philips DVD player and in a PC.

Although it has problems with home recorded discs it doesn't appear to have any problems with commercially recorded DVDs which it plays fine.

Any thoughts as to the likely problem? Is the DVD drive on the way out? Or would opening the unit up and cleaning the lens and spindle help?

If the DVD Drive is at fault would an aftermarket PC drive be a suitable replacement or did Panasonic use a proprietary drive? If the drive unit is changed will that affect the ability to read unfinalised DVDs recorded on the old drive unit?

Thanks for your help.

Your questions are also addressed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

Panasonic recorded DVDs may be finalized on most other Panasonic recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, jjeff and DigaDo.

Plenty of reading for me there.

I shall have go at cleaning the drive spindle and see what happens. I'm relieved to hear that even if I'm not successful, it should be possible to play the unfinalised discs on another Panasonic.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Panasonic recorded DVDs may be finalized on most other Panasonic recorders.
I highlighted most because I believe it would be all, that is unless the DVD has become damaged by a faulty drive in which case you may never be able to finalize that particular DVD. The best you could do is play it realtime in a Panasonic DVDR and record it on another DVDR.
Oh one caveat, if you finalize your discs is a pre '04 Panasonic you won't have thumbnails, just one line/title with the date/time and title if you enter it.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Hi Bruce,

I am having the exact same problem (identical) and was wondering if you ever resolved this issue. Every time this occurs, I don't know if the disk I was trying to record on is still usable or not. I have a pile of unmarked disk and am not certain if any are good. I keep opening up new ones and the result is always the same. I've tried every available format that the manual says are acceptable to no avail.

Each time I load a blank disk, it goes into a lengthy "Read" process, then the display shows that the disk is ready to record and I begin recording or dubbing and it starts as if everything is working, but after about 30 seconds it stops and goes into selfcheck mode for quite a while, then the tray will open and I will get prompted to replace the disk or something like disk incompatible. This is very frustrating.

I did see something in the reference section of the user manual stating that if the unit gets turned on and off or the tray gets repeatedly opened aprox 50 times, that the record function could be disabled. However, I couldn't find instructions on how to reset the unit. Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do likewise. Thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Bruce hasn't logged on since his second post(almost a year ago) so unless he's subscribed to this thread and gets notified, I doubt he'll see your post smile.gif
From your description I'd suggest you look at post #3 by Digado, sounds like your spindle is in dire need of cleaning. It's possible you could still record to JVC Taiyo Yuden discs, which have slightly tactile and grippy bottom but only a cleaning will let you use your older non Ty discs(assuming they weren't damaged by your machine).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page