Editing Commericals on an Panasonic DMR-EA18K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

How would i edit a recording commericals out with this model on a DVD-Ram disc,, Model is Panasonic DMR-EA18K wanted to use this model as we don't use this model in the house hold much, but some reason i can't figure out how do it correctly, Do i set chapters for the parts i wanna keep or the parts i wanna get rid of?

Overall liking the model though--just trying to figure out how to edit shows on it, one of our many recorders in the house hold lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Mark chapters before and then after the commercials. After marking all commercials then go back and delete the chapters that have commercials. Note I've only read about this, I always use the option "shorten title" that all the older(pre EZ/EA) Panasonics had.
I think one advantage to the "chapter" method is you can do it in full screen mode, as apposed to the small screen you get in "shorten title" mode.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok Thank you, i'll try it with less important shows to begin with i think, as i barely use that recorder all that much, but decided since bought it, should start using it some, thinking more i use it, i'll also be better at editing the commericals on that model as well.

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it
post #4 of 12 Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yes, this is the method I use. Of course, all of my Panasonic DVD recorders have a hard drive, so I'm not exactly sure what the capabilities of the EA18 are, but yes, you put chapter marks whenever the the show changes from content you want, to content you don't want. This give you a series of chapters that are program materal, commercials, program materal, commercials and so on. Then, just delete the chapters which are commercials. I assume this works with the EA18, but I hav enever used one, and don't have the manual, so I can't be sure. This is the method I use to eliminate commercials from my recordings. I never use the "shorten title" method that jjeff uses because I find the chapter method more intuitive for me. I think it makes no difference the end, by which I mean it results in the exact same final product.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Church for Replying--used to have an old Panasonic Hard drive model, but that one died, so for a while used ES15 model, then a Phillips 3576H--til a storm power surge seemed to kill it, so starting to learning the Panasoic EA18K model, hopefully i do well at editing the commericals out of the series shows, and all my recordings come out perfect, but will just have to see on that as i learn it..

(got a better surge protector now--so i don't think a storm is gonna kill this one) Had it connected directly from our old satellite system into antenna, and out to tv, since Dish Network only allowed that for TV2 receiver.

Now with Directv i have my own receiver HD into Component, DVD-Recorder connected via component as well...so should once i fully learn how to edit the commericals on it, should be fine i do think
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman3 View Post

Thank you Church for Replying--used to have an old Panasonic Hard drive model, but that one died, so for a while used ES15 model, then a Phillips 3576H--til a storm power surge seemed to kill it, so starting to learning the Panasoic EA18K model, hopefully i do well at editing the commericals out of the series shows, and all my recordings come out perfect, but will just have to see on that as i learn it..

(got a better surge protector now--so i don't think a storm is gonna kill this one) Had it connected directly from our old satellite system into antenna, and out to tv, since Dish Network only allowed that for TV2 receiver.

Now with Directv i have my own receiver HD into Component, DVD-Recorder connected via component as well...so should once i fully learn how to edit the commericals on it, should be fine i do think

You can try to "revive" the 3576 with a Soft Reset, as described here.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Ok will try that, and see how it goes!!, if it works, then yay, and don't have to really learn how to edit the commercials on other recorder, and can hook up the EA18 in the other room, and use that sometimes for movies!! and forget the series on it
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Ok will try that, and see how it goes!!, if it works, then yay, and don't have to really learn how to edit the commercials on other recorder, and can hook up the EA18 in the other room, and use that sometimes for movies!! and forget the series on it
If that works, yes, resetting the 3576 would be the best approach. Learning how to use the EA18 is still a good idea, but if the reset works, then there is no "pressure" to learn it immediately, so you can putter around with it at your leisure.cool.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Resetted the 3576H DVD Burner, and it works!!, will still learn the EA18K though at my leisure or use it for some movies one in a while, as it's in the other room on less used Televison currently...Thak you all so much for the replies, really appreciated
post #10 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Resetted the 3576H DVD Burner, and it works!!, will still learn the EA18K though at my leisure or use it for some movies one in a while, as it's in the other room on less used Televison currently...Thak you all so much for the replies, really appreciated

I'm glad the Soft Reset worked for you! Thanks for reporting results! biggrin.gif

If you can afford an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), ~$53 at Walmart stores or online, that might be something you should consider... will protect your 3576 from surges and maintain its settings, timer programs, etc. thru power loss? See this help file on that.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Do have and Older UPS Device with a new battery, was gonna maybe use the new battery one with new PC, but i haven't switched out my older APC one yet, one with new battery is Cyberpower UPS 700 AVR--, and other one is an APC Backup ES 750BB--not sure if either of those would be good with the 3576H Recorder or not...Cannot afford a new one yet, but plan to get a newer one sometime in the very future

PC SPecs are

HP P6-2133W
300Watt Power Supply--OEM
8gbs of DDR3 Ram
1tb hard drive
Windows 7 64bit
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do have and Older UPS Device with a new battery, was gonna maybe use the new battery one with new PC, but i haven't switched out my older APC one yet, one with new battery is Cyberpower UPS 700 AVR--, and other one is an APC Backup ES 750BB--not sure if either of those would be good with the 3576H Recorder or not...Cannot afford a new one yet, but plan to get a newer one sometime in the very future

PC SPecs are

HP P6-2133W
300Watt Power Supply--OEM
8gbs of DDR3 Ram
1tb hard drive
Windows 7 64bit

Just an educated guess on my part, but I think the Cyberpower and its computer file-saving SW would be good for your computer and the APC good for your DVDR(s).

That APC would allow one DVDR to run for ~100 min. (at ~30W) or keep it in standby for many hours (at ~5W).

Here's a help file on UPS useage with our DVDRs.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page