a LONG weekend's work... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This weekend, I embarked on another of my long-term projects. Slowly my DVR has been collecting episodes of "America's Test Kitchen" and a few weeks ago, the lAst episode of 2012 was recorded. In total, I had 52 episodes, the whole of the 2011 and 2012 seasons (actually, their were several more because of some that were shown form earlier seasons). I made a single title on my EH50 out of ten second duration of the info screens for each episode (a tedious chore in itself) and then started the copy operation using the handy, play-all-in-a-group feature. Yeah, there were about 40 hours of content to copy over, and since the EH55 will not create a title on the HDD longer than eight hours, I eventually had five titles containing all the episodes.

I separated the individual episodes using chapters in the titles, then made 52 playlists out of the titles, one for each show. I appended the ten second info screen to each episode, took the commercials out of each episode, selected an appropriate thumbnail, and labelled each one. they are all there now, just waiting for me to start burning disks. It will amount to eight disks separating them the way I want.

As it was mentioned in another thread, I really like and use the playlist option in the Panasonic DVD recorders. It makes stuff like this possible.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

... took the commercials out of each episode...
Commercials confused.gif ATC airs on PBS in my city, no commercials(unless your talking about the brief adverts in the beginning......) does ATC not air on PBS for you?
Must be nice to be able to clean up your HDD, what speed did you use? I'd guess LP(40hrs 8 DVDs) but if so they must be darn near full(4400MBs) cool.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:

... took the commercials out of each episode...
Commercials confused.gif ATC airs on PBS in my city, no commercials(unless your talking about the brief adverts in the beginning......) does ATC not air on PBS for you?
Must be nice to be able to clean up your HDD, what speed did you use? I'd guess LP(40hrs 8 DVDs) but if so they must be darn near full(4400MBs) cool.gif

Yes, it airs on PBS, and there aren't "commercials" inserted in the show, but there are several minutes of advertising between the opening sequence and the body of the show, and between the body and the closing of the show. I edit these out. Four minutes of this (the exact same clip every episode frown.gif) for 52 episodes is almost three and a half hours. I can do without that in my finished product.

I used LP for this program. It is the maximum compression I ever use. It does produce compression artifact sometimes in fast moving scenes (close-ups of the mixer or food processor) but on this show it isn't a real problem.biggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I forgot to add, making DVDs of all this content really does clean up the old HDD!biggrin.gif

Luke

post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I used LP for this program. It is the maximum compression I ever use. It does show sometimes in fast moving scenes (close-ups of the mixer or food processor) but on this show it isn't a real problem.biggrin.gif
Full resolution LP is my favorite feature of post '04 Panasonics. Not that it's usable all the time but for many things it really maximizes space. With pre '05 Panasonics I doubt you'd ever want to use LP, for me they're basically SP only recorders.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I had another long weekend with 26 episodes of a series, jammed into three titles on my EH50. I used the same method hhat I described in the original post of this thread, and the end result is very, very good. I really like that playlist feature, and the recorder has now gone from pretty crowded and full, to nearly empty.I really should be doing these as I record them rather then in long, marathon sessions.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page