Philips DVDR3575H/37 limited channel selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Philips DVDR3575H/37 DVD recorder that is connected straight to my cable's RF cable (via a splitter without going through the cable box). When I set a new program recording, I can not select a channel higher than ~105. I really do not want to go through the cable box since the cable box has to be set on the desired channel and left on during the recording time. YUCK!

Am I missing something in the settings to allow higher channel numbers.

If the Philips DVDR3575H/37 can not support this, is there a particular type of tuner a DVD recorder needs to do this?

Thanks,
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

Your cable company wants you to rent one of their boxes so they place many channels on higher ("virtual") numbers, above the 1-125 analog and 1-135 digital channels in your HDTV's or this DVDR's tuner. However, this DVDR will tune those channels, if they're not scrambled, by remapping the virtual channels to "physical" numbers within the tuner's 125/135 range.

This Silicon Dust website might help find your channel relationships. Enter zip code, then select the source (cableco) above the list to see their "virtual" channel numbers and the physical locations on a HDTV's or DVDR's 125/135 channel range. Tune to the physical channel numbers and check STATION AND CONTENT to make sure each physical channel is what you expect.

Of course, your 3575 will only be able to tune channels the cableco doesn't scramble, called the "clear-QAM" channels.

I assume you've done an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) as described here?

Here's a help file with more detail.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I never knew anything about these digital "channels". No, I hadn't done the Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), just the Cable (analog) preset. I am totally amazed! I just recorded a show off my cable channel 423, which was mapped to DTV 120.7. It's like having a new DVD recorder with all the features I wanted.

The material you pointed me to was outstandingly well done!

Thank you so very much wajo!!!

AVS ROCKS!!!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A new world is open to you now! Congrats! biggrin.gif

Now, make sure you set your TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide" to see your new digital channels in glorious widescreen. Analog channels will look slightly "stretched" if you have a 16:9 HDTV, but it's not so bad I feel like changing aspect back to 4:3 for those channels... I MUST have my digital WS programs in true WS!

Some programs on digital channels might also be produced in 4:3 aspect, but again, so what as far as I'm concerned!!!

More info on aspect here if you need it.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

HUH????

I found the DTV channel my wife wanted to record, so I set my DVDR to record it every night. We finally got around to watching them tonight. Not a single recording was the show I was trying to record! Each recording had recorded a different network's show (including a completely blank recording). I am 100% positive that the same DTV channel was set to record.

Can my cablecom (Charter) periodically change the network a DTV channel carries?

Or, once again, am I missing something?

Thanks,
Robert
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
They could rearrange channels(SDV) but usually not on more common channels. Are you cable to directly enter the channels? how about using the CH UP or CH DOWN buttons? It's possible the channels don't match the PSIP in which case you may need to use work a rounds. I think wajo may have a section on this in his sticky thread, I've seen it OTA(my market for one) not sure about cable...
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robear7nt View Post

HUH????

I found the DTV channel my wife wanted to record, so I set my DVDR to record it every night. We finally got around to watching them tonight. Not a single recording was the show I was trying to record! Each recording had recorded a different network's show (including a completely blank recording). I am 100% positive that the same DTV channel was set to record.

Can my cablecom (Charter) periodically change the network a DTV channel carries?

Or, once again, am I missing something?

Cablecos like to put channels on high-numbered channels only their rental box can tune. These are "virtual" channel numbers that TVs and DVDRs will "re-map" to their "physical" channel numbers... 1-125 analog and 1-135 digital. Also, there can be duplicate channels where two of them try to occupy the same physical channel number. Two remedies, depending on what's actually happening.

1. If your problem stems from virtual channels mapping to physical channel numbers, this Silicon Dust website should help find your channel relationships. Enter zip code, then select the source (cableco) above the list to see their "virtual" channel numbers and the physical locations on a HDTV's or DVDR's 125/135 channel range. Tune to the physical channel numbers by direct entry (no CH+/-) and check STATION AND CONTENT to make sure each physical channel is what you expect. You may even have to ADD a physical channel using the Manual Channel Preset menu if your Auto scan missed it so you can use CH+/- to surf to it?

2. If your problem stems from just a duplicate channel, see this help file, item 4 in the "Specific DVDR Problems and Solutions" section.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by robear7nt View Post

HUH????

It sounds like a subchannels tuner's issue. You'll need to read Wajo's help files and make some recording tests.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Philips , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page