Panasonic-Tivo questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hit by a major illness a couple of months ago, so this is my first visit in quite a while. Back then, I was thinking about getting an EH-59 or 69, to copy the playback of my Tivo TCM movies, and edit them on the 59 or 69. Would that still work, or has anything changed? I have two EH-55's, which I still use for non-digital channels, but I have to use the Tivo, with a Charter cable card, for the TCM movies. I wish there was some way to record TCM directly to the Panasonics, as I was doing until April, when Charter changed things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 472
What is wrong with using your EH-55 to record from the TiVo. Jjeff records from his TiVo to his Panasonics, so he should be able to comment.

Would you consider the alternative path of doing a network transfer of the recording from the TiVo to your PC then doing the editing/authoring/burning on the PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The EH-59 would work just fine to record from your Tivo(I use S-video but if you have a Premier you will have to use composite) but personally I like to use one of my EH-55s because the EH-59 lacks a DARKER setting as does a Tivo. What this means is your black level will be slightly raised, which can easily be compensated by lowering your TVs brightness a few points but your DVDs will still be recorded as slightly light.
My guess is the vast majority of people may not even notice this but I'm a stickler for black level and wouldn't be happy unless I know it's recorded 100% right.
If you want to simulate what a EH-59 recording would look like, go into the SETUP of one of your EH-55s and change the black level input setting to LIGHTER and make a few recordings. Play those back, if you don't notice much or any of a difference you are good to go. If you think they are too light you might want to use a EH-55 instead and reserve the EH-59 for recording from sources that have a DARKER setting(such as most DVD players) or look into something like a proc amp that would darken the input before your EH-59.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also am fussy about getting the black level right. I have some copyguarded tapes that I would like to convert to DVD on my EH55, but my Sima CT-2 makes the blacks look too light and the colors look washed out. I have the Black Level Control Input Level on the EH55 set for Darker, but that does not solve the problem. Are there any other options I could try?

John
post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Unfortunately DARKER is as dark as our EH-55s get, which as I've found out is NOT not dark enough to offset the CT-2. What I've been doing whenever I use my CT-2 is to use my Pioneer DVD player for playing the original DVD. Pioneers have many output adjustments(brightness, contrast, gamma, etc.) and using those I'm able to get "acceptable" picture quality. Still not the contrast and darkness as the original but a far site better than without using the Pioneer.
IMO the recordings a EH-59 makes using a N. American standard output device isn't as bad as using a Sima(the Sima not only lightens the darks but also messes with the contrast) but it's on the same vein. It's for this reason that just setting your DVD player to DARKER using a Sima and a EH-55 will not be the cure all.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

I was hit by a major illness a couple of months ago, so this is my first visit in quite a while. Back then, I was thinking about getting an EH-59 or 69, to copy the playback of my Tivo TCM movies, and edit them on the 59 or 69. Would that still work, or has anything changed? I have two EH-55's, which I still use for non-digital channels, but I have to use the Tivo, with a Charter cable card, for the TCM movies. I wish there was some way to record TCM directly to the Panasonics, as I was doing until April, when Charter changed things.
You wrote this question at 2AM?!? Insomnia forum users indeed.biggrin.gif

As Kelson said, why do you need a new recorder when your EH55s will work perfectly well for the task. I used to have TIVOs, before DirecTV replaced them with their own DVRs. I had no problems at all recording on my Panasonic DVD recorders from my Tivo. Is there some reason you think you need a new machine to do the transfer? A video signal is a video signal. If the EH59 will record it, the EH55 will also. I record movies from TCM all the time using my DirecTV DVR.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My EH-55's have a lot of wear and tear on them, so I thought it might be good to get a new machine. and just use it for editing Tivo movies. Does the DirecTV DVR have a way to edit Tivo movies?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. My EH-55's have a lot of wear and tear on them, so I thought it might be good to get a new machine. and just use it for editing Tivo movies. Does the DirecTV DVR have a way to edit Tivo movies?
No they do not. At least the HR21 and HR22 that I have do not any editing capabilities.

If you THINK you need another machine, as you have guessed, the EH59/69 model(s) are nearly identical in operation to your EH55 (black level issue aside) so they will work just fine. As I said, I have two DirecTV DVRs, and I record to my EH50, EH55, EH75, EH59 and EH69 almost every day without any issues at all.

I don't want to be an alarmist, BUT, J&R which used to have the EH59 no longer lists it, and I got a letter fomr them saying that it is no longer available. B&H still has some, but we don't know for how long. They too replied to a letter saying that the product was at its end-of-life, and no follow-on model would be available. If you are going to buy one, I recommend you do it soon.

The newer DVD recorders from Walmart would also work, but since they are Magnavox brand, there would be the difficulty in learning a new and different editing system.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. As I remember, there is not much difference between the EH-59/69. Right? I think one might record or play HD.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. As I remember, there is not much difference between the EH-59/69. Right? I think one might record or play HD.

The HDD size, of course, and the SD card slot on the EH69. The other differences are minor. If you download the manual, the differences are highlighted throughout.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page