Trouble with Panasonic DMR-ES35V - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post here--hope it is in the appropriate place (?).

My issue -

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES35V. I love this unit. Usually trouble free. I used it yesterday all day to transfer some video to a RAM disk for editing and eventally to later put on a permant disk and I had no problems.

Today I turn on the Panasonic and within 20 seconds it shuts off by itself. I turn it back on, it turns itself off again within 20 seconds--why? It has done this a few times lately but eventually quits doing this within a short time period (shutting off) and works fine/like normal. I didn't think much about it because it eventually quit doing this and was fine but now it keeps doing it and doesn't want to quit.

Wonder--is this something major--any one have an idea? Can I safely take it apart and clean it--would this help? Has never been cleaned since I bought it new. Have had it for several years.

I called Panasonic this a.m. and they said it is a Power problem--"I knew this--duh"--and I would have to contact a Panasonic Exhange Center to have it serviced, and they gave me a phone number to call (long distance).

I searched online for Panasonic Exhange Centers but I don't see any locations listed. With my luck they will be miles and miles away. I don't want to run all over God's green earth to get to a repair center.

Was really hoping this was something simple that I could try and fix myself--maybe not.

Many thanks for any help with this.

confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The 2006 DMR-ES35 is a great combo recorder. I own six of them, still fully functional to this day. With regular use I give the DVD Drive rubber hubs a routine cleaning at about ten month intervals, see this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

Your DMR-ES35 probably has a failing capacitor in the power supply section. These capacitors are inexpensive to purchase, but replacement requires extensive disassembly and basic soldering skills. The procedure requires about an hour of labor. The procedures are described in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055111/whither-the-capacitors-in-panasonic-recorders/0_60

You might be able to find a local shop or someone whose hobby is electronics to do the work. Or, you might send a private message to Mickinct regarding this repair. Mickinct is highly recommended, see these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1361918/panasonic-repairs-high-praise-experience/0_60

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400807/part-2-having-issues-with-your-panasonic-dvd-recorder-read/0_60

Avoid dealing with the expensive and frustrating Panasonic McAllen Texas Customer Service Center. There are many McAllen horror stories reported in these pages. Do not even consider exchanging your DMR-ES35 for a later EZ series recorder. Panasonic's 2007 and newer EZ series recorders are full of bugs and design flaws.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Totally agree with Digado! but I want to stress that replacing the capacitors shouldn't really be a first time solder job. The circuit boards are somewhat delicate and everything is quite small. If you send it to Mickinct (which I'd really suggest) he'd probably also clean the spindle which should really need it by now. The spindle cleaning can also be a DIY but the first time it can seem kind of intimidating.
If you go local make sure they can do component level repair which is getting harder and harder to fine people to do.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I want to say that I have hit my private message limit of 2 for the day, so I want to thank Mike and tell him I will keep his contact info. in case I need my Unit repaired.

Thank you, DigaDo, for all the wonder information and links, which I will certainly keep.

Now--to the part where I wish I could avoid but must admit, I feel absolutely foolish (and brain dead) to anyone who may read this, but I fixed the recorder myself just a few minutes ago----not really fixed, perhaps, but figured out what I did wrong that messed with my unit to cause it to turn off by itself.

First I messed around with the Panisonic and found out that it would stay on with the DVD tray open. Why was this? When I shut the tray, the unit would shut off. I looked things over and it dawned on me that I was the culprit----oh boy---well, here goes--and it's all my fault !

Not long ago, I took an extra DVD Player I had and set it on top of the Panasonic so I could play DVDs on my TV that the Panasonic won't. I don't have a lot of room for this stuff and didn't think it would be a problem to set it up there. Well--even though it doesn't seem to weight a lot, and where it sits on top of the Panasonic seems to be on the perimeter, it's just enough weight to cause problems with the Panasonic (probably makes it stick inside somewhere) thus causing the unit to shut off.

I am now, as I type, using this Panasonic unit, without any further trouble.

I apologize to you all, and I hope you will chalk this up to me being a novice.

Regards.........................
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestuna View Post

First I messed around with the Panisonic and found out that it would stay on with the DVD tray open. Why was this? When I shut the tray, the unit would shut off. I looked things over and it dawned on me that I was the culprit----oh boy---well, here goes--and it's all my fault !

Not long ago, I took an extra DVD Player I had and set it on top of the Panasonic so I could play DVDs on my TV that the Panasonic won't. I don't have a lot of room for this stuff and didn't think it would be a problem to set it up there. Well--even though it doesn't seem to weight a lot, and where it sits on top of the Panasonic seems to be on the perimeter, it's just enough weight to cause problems with the Panasonic (probably makes it stick inside somewhere) thus causing the unit to shut off.

Glad your stacking didn’t cause permanent damage. Stacking can be dangerous for electronics and can permanently throw moving parts out of alignment due to weight or vibration, stacking can also cause permanent damage to electronics by not dispersing excessive heat.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page