Recording to external DVD Recorder from Cox Motorola DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New here but didn't find this in a search, so here goes...........

Moved a few months ago and finally got around to hooking up my Toshiba DR430OKU (DVD Video Recorder) to my Cox Communications Motorola DCT6416 III............... purpose is to save recorded TV programs to disc for later viewing and not use too much space on the 160GB Motorola box.

I used component cables from the Motorola to the Toshiba recorder. and do see a picture on my Plasma TV but that picture is squashed to the bottom half of the screen with a wide band and static-y horizontal lines at the top. I CAN record that image but it plays back with that same picture configuration.

1. Cox tells me this is from copyright protection and I can't copy ANYTHING to the DVR.
2. I recall that my previous setup (through a Denon AV Receiver) gave that same configuration at times but I THINK it had to do with how the image was routed through the receiver because it would be fine under SOME circumstances......... I wish I could remember what worked, but I can't.

That specific picture configuration does not sound like anything I've read on line for what I should see if material is copyright protected, but the Cox tech was certain that was the issue. Some material I've found on line would agree with Cox, other material does not.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If copy protection is making it impossible for you to get a decent TV picture with the way your equipment is wired up, getting a type of video filter should help restore the picture, and deal with the problems you're facing.

If I can find the links, I'll give you some info on where you can find these assist devices.

EDIT:
If you're using component cables, what type of TV are you feeding the signal to? It's possible the cable box is putting out a picture meant for a High Def widescreen set, and the DVD recorder is a Standard Def device that may not be able to take the component inputs, depending on how the cable box is set.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Unless the OP made a mistake (possibly meanting "composite"), how could he have the Motorola box running into the DVD recorder through component inputs?

There are no Toshiba recorders with component inputs.

It's possible he could have things hooked up all wrong.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Unless the OP made a mistake (possibly meanting "composite"), how could he have the Motorola box running into the DVD recorder through component inputs?

Didn't realize that about the "no component inputs". All I've known are the Philipis/Magnavox machines.

Well, if the OP can post again and describe very carefully how things are hooked up (or even post a photo or drawing) it WOULD help.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I agree. If he is using COMPONENT to connect the STB to the DVD recorder, I'm surprised it works at all! Try replacing the component cable with an S-Video cable, or composite cable and see if that doesn't clear up the picture.

How is the DVD recorder connected to the television?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 15 Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry. You guys are a bit above my pay grade, but hopefully I can help with some more info.

The cables between the cable box and the DVR are Red/White/Yellow RCA.

The DVR is a Toshiba DR430 and I don't think it's HD. At least the manual says "near HD" quality.

The Samsung Plasma TV is connect with via HDMI. I don't see how this could affect things as that connection is between the DVR and the TV and I am apparently seeing what is passing through or has been recorded by the Toshiba DVR.

As far as I know the cable box is a digital HD recorder unit. (Motorola DCT6416 III)

If I hadn't seen a previous use of the same cable box and DVR give me OK recordings, I would think there could be a mismatch.

Beyond the connection I would really appreciate input as to whether the picture I'm getting (squashed to lower half of screen, with black space above and some horizontal lines at the top) IS possibly due to copyright protection.

Thanks.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 AM

I have a Motorola 3416 HD DVR from Comcast. I'm feeding 2 Panasonic DVD-Recorders with the analog outputs from the Motorola box.
One, via "composite" RCA Yello/Red/White. The other via S-VHS/Red/White. I'm able to record perfect Standard Def DVDs from the HD DVR cable box.

I use an HDMI cable from the Motorola box straight to my HDTV for watching cable in HD. My Motorola box will output HD via HDMI and SD via the analog outputs at the same time.
I have heard of instances on certain boxes that you cannot output HD (digital) and analog simultaniously.

You may have to check the output settings on your Motorola box. Go to the menu, then to box settings, and see if you can select or adjust any output settings. Also, double check your "composite" Yello/Red/White RCA cables to make sure they're properly connected. Check the connections and menu set up on your Toshiba DVDRecorder. Your Toshiba must be an "up conversion" model if it has HDMI out and claims "near HD" quality. Does your Toshiba PLAY a regular store bought DVD perfectly to your Samsung via the HDMI? If so, then the connection from Toshiba to Samsung is fine.

As far as copy protection, I doubt that would effect the squashed picture. It should pass the picture through fine, it just won't let the Toshiba record. Some DVDRecorders are more sensitive to copy protection than others. I have a couple LG DVDRs that won't even record some basic SD (analog) cable channels. However, my Panasonics (E30, EZ47) record EVERYTHING from the HD DVR, even when I had HBO!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Beyond the connection I would really appreciate input as to whether the picture I'm getting (squashed to lower half of screen, with black space above and some horizontal lines at the top) IS possibly due to copyright protection.

I have never heard of any copy protection producing this kind of picture issue. It usually manifests itself by the DVD recorder saying on screen that recording this content is prohibited, or some such thing, and then the recorder stops. The picture issue you are describing sounds like a problem with the video signal. It's like the STB is trying to putput a progressive signal and the DVD recorder is doing its best to interpret it.

The red/white/yellow connectors are COMPOSITE, and the red and white are the audio part. If you are using COMPONENT, it would be using the red/green/blue connectiors, and the audio part has to be sent via an additional two red/white wires. Be sure you are using the proper connections. It's easy to accidentally plug an RCA cable into a wrong plug and get some VERY funny results.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 15 Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerj View Post

If I hadn't seen a previous use of the same cable box and DVR give me OK recordings, I would think there could be a mismatch.

Maybe a firmware update in the Cox Motorola DVR is responsible for this. Could you check/confirm that?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

OK................. so I've replaced the RCA cables with newer ones and everything seemed to be fine. BUT................... now the image coming through theToshiba DVR to the TV is split with 75% moved to the left and the missing 25% showing at the right. It is NOT this way when recorded shows are viewed directly from the Cable DVR. eek.gifmad.gif

And........ yes.............. the cable company did a firmware update just a few weeks ago, when this all started.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerj View Post

And........ yes.............. the cable company did a firmware update just a few weeks ago, when this all started.

Maybe that is the answer cool.gif (considering that you or someone else have not changed any other connection/set up.)
post #12 of 15 Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the help, I think it's finally working properly.

Turned out that a reboot of my cable box fixed the picture problem...... at least for now. I have no idea what causes this, but all I did was unplug the cable box, plug it back in, and let it reload. The image is now coming through the DVR correctly. I guess this is likely what fixed it before and I just didn't realize the relationship. Kindof mind-boggling, but that appears to be the issue.

So much for the Cox tech telling me the problem was that everything on their service is copyright protected. redface.gif]
post #13 of 15 Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM

I have to reboot my cable box every once in a while too.
The HDMI direct to the TV is always fine. But, after a while I will get a very annoying line from the cable box analog outputs to my DVD Recorder. This "line" is where a fraction of the bottom of the picture is displayed on the top of the picture. Drives me nuts! No manual adjustments would straighten this out. Finally figured out that unplugging the box for a couple of seconds reset the picture back to normal. Frustrating part is I never know when the picture display will go out of alignment. Sometimes lasts 2 days, or 2 weeks, or a month or two. No effect on the HDMI out, only on the analog outs to my DVD Recorders.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly what happened to me. Last week the picture was just the way you describe, today it was similar but side-to-side instead of top-to-bottom. Strange.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Just checked my 2 Toshiba recorders and they do only have component video output jacks...
no component inputs.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page