Peculiar (but not so far a problem) EH55 Channel Behavior - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, this event does not seem to affect my operation of the EH55; i.e., recording from line inputs (composite audio and S-video video) from my Motorola STB/DVR, either while a program--usually a film--is being broadcast on the cable channel I've selected on the STB or an after-the-fact dub I've made from a recording on the STB/DVR' hard drive.

For a long time with "drive select" set for the HDD (by far the predominate setting from day to day with only occasional dubs from my old Panny VCR through another input), the channel setting on the display has always been Channel 3, in the last few months the display will sometimes for several days indicate Channel 2 and, over the last week, the display indicates Channel 5.

These changes do not seem to interfere with my normal operation in any way. I assume that I should not be concerned, but I'm certainly curious.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
...and just when I think I have heard them all.eek.gif This has me stumped. If it actually WERE tuned to channel 2 or 5, it would not get the video information that the STB/DVR is putting out (presumably on channel 3.

First, I would recommend you change to video or S-Video, but that doesn't address your question. I definitely havve to think on this one--it's just weird. If you had a cat that might have stepped on the channel buttons, I can see the DVD recorder changing input channels, but then you would not get the Motorola output.until you changed the channel BACK to 3.confused.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, my output from the cable STB/DVR and the corresponding input to the EH55 is S-Video for the video side and always has been, and, when I originally installed (I think about four years ago) the EH55 I used the conventional Chanel 3 input and have not changed it. I purchased the EH55 from a drugstore in Vancouver, Canada, but have always assumed that is a North American model; in fact, Panny in Wisconsin serviced the EH55 under warranty.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Have you disabled TVGOS?
Thats the only thing I can think if that would cause your EH-55 to change channels by itself, it might be trying to find a TVGOS signal and scanning all the channels....
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Have you disabled TVGOS?
Thats the only thing I can think if that would cause your EH-55 to change channels by itself, it might be trying to find a TVGOS signal and scanning all the channels....

Good point. I never, EVER used the TVGOS, so I never remember it. TVGOS *WILL* change the channel on a person, BUT, it will make you lose the signal on channel 3 when it changes to channel 4, unless I misunderstood the OP.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Because I always used line inputs from my cable set top box and its successor, a cable box DVR, I never used the tuner section built into the EH55 or in its predecessor, My EH80. I never used TVGOS and had to bypass it, with the help of a Panny tech support person, over the telephone, in the initial setup for programming recordings manually. I always manually preselected the cable channel to be recorded (usually a three digit channel number), directly on the STB and then, with the advent of the STB DVR, tried to do the same except where there was a conflict in programming. In the latter case, I simply recorded the program I wanted directly with the STB DVR and later dubbed it to my EH55 by the S-video cable(s).
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Here's an update on this peculiar "channel" problem.

The EH55 now displays Channel 0 (zero), but does not affect its ability to record from the line inputs. The Timer Recording panel does report that the EH55 will be recording on Channel 0. I think I could change it to, say, Channel 3, but why rock this odd boat while timer recording continues to function well?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page