Receiving/recording higher channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure this is in the correct forum. Please advise/move.

My P'sonic DMR-EZ17's (yes, it drives me crazy) highest channel is 135; however, after automatic analog & digital programming it displays no channel higher than 87-209. It's connected per P'sonic's instructions, which allow my VCR to be included in the mix - cable is connected to the DVDR, and programming was done with the cable box set on the local PBS station.

If the cable was connected per the cable company's instructions, i.e. to the cable box, would I then be able to receive/record the higher channels through the DVDR, or am I just mixing apples 'n oranges?

With my inclusion of the VCR can you see how up-to-date I am with modern technology? My 1989 Magnavox VCR's calendar "ended" December 31, 2006. So I could continue to program it for recording, I began setting it to previous years with corresponding dates (1994 = 2010, 1998 = 2011, etc.) but there're no corresponding years again until 2040 when I'm 90 years old. Always something to look forward to!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The cable from the wall should go to the DVDR first, then to your cable box, or to a splitter. You can't put the VCR in before the DVDR, or the cable box. The cable out from your DVDR is unchanged from what goes in. If your cable system still has analog channels that your VCR can tune, feed it from a splitter, by itself. If you don't get analog channels any more, you can run the cable out from your cable box to the VCR, and record what is tuned on the cable box.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The VCR is no longer in the picture, but I still don't understand. Cable runs from wall to DVD-R to cable box, but I still don't know how to record a channel higher than 125 since that's as high as the DVD-R can be programmed.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrboy View Post

The VCR is no longer in the picture, but I still don't understand. Cable runs from wall to DVD-R to cable box, but I still don't know how to record a channel higher than 125 since that's as high as the DVD-R can be programmed.

It can't. The channel 87 is the primary channel. The -209 is a subchannel. They can range from 0 to 1023 (or some other large number). Channel 87 is still 87 whether digital or analog and in the US it's 6MHz wide. The subchannels are in a table and do not have to be contiguous.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page