Panasonic PWT500 - Hard Drive problem - Wife giving ME hell - HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Big problem with my (the wife's) Panasonic PWT500 DVD Recorder.

Turned on the unit today to find a 'please wait' window. That didn't disappear, so I turned the unit off, then on again.

When we turned it on, it appears to have completed a firmware update (i think this because many of the screens (tv guide etc...) are different and have been updated). But the real problem is this:

The DVD no longer appears to 'see' the hard drive. It says 'recording time remaining 0.00) and can't see the recorded programs of which there where loads.

The only other thing that was different that may have caused this is having my mobile phone charging from the USB port.

Naturally the wife is blaming me, and breaking my balls so ANY help at all is very much appreciated. How can I get the machine to 'see' the hard drive again.

Thanks in advance for your help

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 55
What country are you in?

The Panasonic PWT500 is a DVR with a BlyRay player included. It is not a DVD recorder, nor is it a BluRay recorder.

Have you contacted Panasonic?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's a Panasonic DMR-PWT500 with a built in hard drive to record (250Gb HD). I live in France.

We have recorded loads of programs using the hard drive record with no problems up to now - it's a really good bit of kit.

Quite simply, the unit no longer seems to realise the hard drive is there. No pause function, when we look at the recorded programs it says No files, 0.00 time left, 'not enough space on hard disk'. Baffling. Before we saw all the programs and had 36 odd hours left.

I'm positive that it's a firmware update gone awry as all the menu screens look different since we last used it.

Contacted Panasonic, but they were useless. WIll try again as I'm sure it was just the person I spoke to. Tomorrow I'm taking it back to the shop to ask their advice.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

My wife is blaming me!

Thanks in advance

James
post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaids View Post

Contacted Panasonic, but they were useless. WIll try again as I'm sure it was just the person I spoke to. Tomorrow I'm taking it back to the shop to ask their advice.
Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

1. I don't know about the consumer protection laws in France, but don't take the unit to any service store, since if you are in Warranty and they decide to replace the HDD your wife will lost all her programs forever. Which let me to ask you:

2. How do you get or save the recordings off from that machine? Using the ethernet port?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Since that machine isn't marketed in North America, it is unlikely that anyone HERE will be able to be of much help to you. Isn't there a French or UK site you could use to address your question? It's not that I want to be unhelpful, but with no access to any similar Panasonic product, and no real knowledge about your machine, I just don't know how much help you could get here.

Yes, it sounds like a software mix-up to me, but how to recover from it? Could you make an attempt to re-load the firmware? I would suggest you do it from a disk rather than the net.

AND, sorry about the wife.

If you take it to a repair facility, don't let them wipe your HDD. If the firmware is loaded from the HDD on power-up, a Panasonic repair facility very well might want to "fix" your machine by replacing your HDD, with a new one which has the correct firmware loaded on it. You will lose all the content, of course, if they do that.frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.

Okay, I'll get in touch with Panasonic again and see what they say.

I'm going to take it to the shop, just to see if there's a simple problem that will fix it, but I won't let them do anything that will invalidate the warranty.

I'll also try reinstalling the firmware - I really think that that is the problem.

Thanks again for the support. I'll post my results here in case anyone else has a similar problem (with the DVD Recorder, not the wife...!)

Regards

James
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and advice.

Panasonic were useless. I went back to the where I got it. They suggested reinstalling the firmware, and that did the trick.

Thanks for your help guys.

James
post #8 of 9 Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Panasonic were useless. I went back to the where I got it. They suggested reinstalling the firmware, and that did the trick.
James

You're welcome! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

James

This is a familiar refrain. It's sad because they didn't USED to be useless, but the sure are now. At one time, their service was the best, and was actually mentioned here as a selling point for them. Now that they don't sell the devices any longer, they really don't want to service them either. This is the current situation in the US, I don't know how it is in France, but from what you say, it sounds similar. frown.gif

I'm glad you got your problem resolved. In the future, don't use the USB port for charging other devices. biggrin.gif

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page