post #91 of 111 Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
Haven't heard back from Logic Design so if anyone using the video filter has recently recorded a netflix program, i'd appreciate hearing about it.
PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I seem to remember Logic Design talking about such a scenario, I thought he had it nailed down, hopefully he'll get back to you soon. I've never ran into a CP signal that either my Sima CT-2 or Grex hasn't been able to remove(PPV, BD, DVD) but I haven't tried nor do I own a Roku. At some point I should try recording Netflix from my WD Live media player, I also have a older Sony SMP-N200 media player, if anything would be hard to record from it would be a Sony product
post #93 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
problem resolved - one of the members here PM'd me the solution, posted below - i had assumed the "X"s on the dip switch selection chart were an indication that switch's position was not critical - it could be a little clearer on the video filter's web, but in case for anyone else new to the video filter, below is what made it possible to dub netflix shows:

"Switches 1 and 4 must be used together to set the input/output ports. Switches 2 and 3 are used independently to set the output aspect ratio and copy protection level.

Input/Output - Switches 1 & 4
Composite - 1 UP, 4 DOWN
S-Video - 1 DOWN, 4 UP

Aspect Ratio - Switch 2
16:9 - UP
4:3 - DOWN

Copy Protection - Switch 3
Copy Always - UP
Copy Once - DOWN"

Basically, the first three switches in UP position, the last or 4th switch in Down position sets the video filter to remove all CP code and for composite connection.

but an easier or more logical way to understand the dip switches, 1 & 4 relate to connection type, 2 to aspect ratio and 3 to CP strippingI haven't tried it but this would probably have made the Roku's purchase unnecessary but to be frank, the speed of the Roku's interface and processor (ie the speed that it loads a movie or any selection) makes it a keeper. I might return this one, as it's a refurb and last night it kept "rebooting", maybe 6-7 times in the course of 2 hours of viewing, but only return it for exchange or upgrade to a new one.

Last edited by larryccf; 07-13-2014 at 07:06 AM.
post #94 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I used to run all Roku2XS units but because of all the rebooting problems they have I had to "mothball them and replace with "sticks". I use one 2XS to record from because of the component output and for some reason it never seems to reboot.
post #95 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
I used to run all Roku2XS units but because of all the rebooting problems they have I had to "mothball them and replace with "sticks". I use one 2XS to record from because of the component output and for some reason it never seems to reboot.
if it's a common issue with the 2 XS, that might explain why my unit looked brand new, not even any handling marks - suspect it got returned and whoever inspected was not going to use it 4-6 hours looking for the first reboot. I'm going to keep it another day or so and see if it's a common occurance, if not i'll probably keep this one.
post #96 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Upon advice from a very PC Centric AVS'er I purchased the WD Live media player(over the Roku) and I couldn't be happier. I'd strongly suggest it, oh and it also has a composite output(which I assume works even if using HDMI but I have not verified this yet). This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KOZNBW/...=I60SHQTRURBWU
I purchased the aforementioned Sony media player because of it's S-video output but it's stone age compared to the WD and I really don't use the Sony anymore.
post #97 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 AM

appreciate but the roku hit so many things right, i'd rather not risk loosing some of the features. Hell, even the button layout on the remote is frigging so intuitive, plus the buttons are just right in terms of requiring just the right level of effort to give a positive feel, and prevent accidental button execution. Hard to convey but they really did hit it right for me - the wife unit said the same thing.

curious - is the WD interface and operation fast - my sony was so slow i felt i was growing old (er) waiting for whatever i'd selected to activate. The roku, even loading a movie is maybe 3-4 seconds max and usually 2 seconds, but i usually have a 56Mbs download speed
post #98 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
if it's a common issue with the 2 XS, that might explain why my unit looked brand new, not even any handling marks - suspect it got returned and whoever inspected was not going to use it 4-6 hours looking for the first reboot. I'm going to keep it another day or so and see if it's a common occurance, if not i'll probably keep this one.
Not all 2XS's have the reboot problem which started with the 5.3 FW update and continued thru the 5.4 FW update (which was hoped would fix the issue).Test yours for a few days to see if it does.If it does you'll know pretty quickly.My 2XS had the problem and would reboot sometimes as often as 2-3 times per day,but cleared up with the new 5.5 FW update and now runs flawlessly again,while others who've received the 5.5 FW update continue to have the problem.Also check to see which FW your unit is running,it may need updating.If it says FW 5.5/Build 320 then it's current.
If your unit has the current FW but still exhibits the problem you might consider swapping it out for a New Roku-2.It's similar to the 2XS,has the same processor,but unfortunately is wireless only.Give Roku a chance to prove itself,Roku is the best overall player on the market (maybe that's one reason why Vince Mcmahon brought the WWE network exclusively to Roku).No other player out there has the huge number of channels as Roku,nor the support from channel developers.

Last edited by greaser; 07-13-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #99 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM

thanks, will check the firmware - i like the wired option on the 2XS so it'd be a swap out for same unit, even if another refurb
post #100 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Not all 2XS's have the reboot problem which started with the 5.3 FW update and continued thru the 5.4 FW update (which was hoped would fix the issue).Test yours for a few days to see if it does.If it does you'll know pretty quickly.My 2XS had the problem and would reboot sometimes as often as 2-3 times per day,but cleared up with the new 5.5 FW update and now runs flawlessly again,while others who've received the 5.5 FW update continue to have the problem.
Maybe that refurb was returned by the original purchaser because of the reboot issue.

I have 5.5 build 320 on both of mine. One of them rebooted once in a while, maybe twice a week with heavy use, but the other one has only rebooted maybe twice total since it was purchased a couple of years ago. I got the 5.5 update on Thursday and no reboots so far but I haven't ran that unit enough to know if it fixed anything or not.
post #101 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
appreciate but the roku hit so many things right, i'd rather not risk loosing some of the features. Hell, even the button layout on the remote is frigging so intuitive, plus the buttons are just right in terms of requiring just the right level of effort to give a positive feel, and prevent accidental button execution. Hard to convey but they really did hit it right for me - the wife unit said the same thing.

curious - is the WD interface and operation fast - my sony was so slow i felt i was growing old (er) waiting for whatever i'd selected to activate. The roku, even loading a movie is maybe 3-4 seconds max and usually 2 seconds, but i usually have a 56Mbs download speed
Yes the Sony was slow and generally just not that good, the only thing it had going for it was it's S-video output.
Funny you mention the remote on the Roku, it's the exact reason I went with the WD. I thought the Roku just had far too few buttons to work properly. Now maybe it would have worked OK, it's just I tend to like a remote with dedicated buttons, not tiny useless buttons but a good selection. Of course one of my favorite remotes is my Tivo peanut remote, very few buttons but fits in the hand very nicely and other than a dedicated CC button it has everything I could want, so maybe I would have been OK with the Roku remote......
post #102 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Maybe that refurb was returned by the original purchaser because of the reboot issue.

I have 5.5 build 320 on both of mine. One of them rebooted once in a while, maybe twice a week with heavy use, but the other one has only rebooted maybe twice total since it was purchased a couple of years ago. I got the 5.5 update on Thursday and no reboots so far but I haven't ran that unit enough to know if it fixed anything or not.
Sounds like your units were never affected.I don't know what percentage of 2XS's are/were affected,but it's nowhere near to being universal.
My unit almost never rebooted until the 5.3 FW update.Luckily the latest update fixed the problem for me,but not for everybody else.I bought my unit in July 2012 as a refurb.
post #103 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM

checked my firmware and it was the earlier 5.4 - so i updated. We'll see if the rebooting continues. Today the wife & her sister were using the roku and they didn't see a reboot, so not sure what causes it - the other night it didn't start rebooting till after 3-4 hours of use, then it'd reboot on it's own or if you hit a button to change movies or whatever, it'd go back to the purple screen. We'll see what 5.5 320 does
post #104 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
checked my firmware and it was the earlier 5.4 - so i updated. We'll see if the rebooting continues. Today the wife & her sister were using the roku and they didn't see a reboot, so not sure what causes it - the other night it didn't start rebooting till after 3-4 hours of use, then it'd reboot on it's own or if you hit a button to change movies or whatever, it'd go back to the purple screen. We'll see what 5.5 320 does
Just wondering Larry,since your unit came with the 5.4 update,when you got the unit did it have channels already installed,or did you create a new account with Roku and install your own channels??
If channels were already there then you'll want to do a factory reset and create an account with Roku,otherwise you'll be using the former owner's account.
Some people have reported that when they bought a refurbed Roku,somebody forgot to reset the unit to factory defaults,and some former owner's forgot to cancel their Roku account for the unit.Also,a few peope have reported that when they performed a factory reset then reinstalled the latest FW,that their reboot problem went away.

Last edited by greaser; 07-13-2014 at 03:14 PM.
post #105 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Just wondering Larry,since your unit came with the 5.4 update,when you got the unit did it have channels already installed,or did you create a new account with Roku and install your own channels??
If channels were already there then you'll want to do a factory reset and create an account with Roku,otherwise you'll be using the former owner's account.
Some people have reported that when they bought a refurbed Roku,somebody forgot to reset the unit to factory defaults,and some former owner's forgot to cancel their Roku account for the unit.Also,a few peope have reported that when they performed a factory reset then reinstalled the latest FW,that their reboot problem went away.
not sure what you mean by channels already installed - when i hooked it up it walked me thru the setup procedure, including setting up an account with roku, but didn't see any mention of setting up channels. I'll go thru the owner's manual here in a few minutes. If by channels you mean like netflix, etc, the only one i use is netflix and i did set that one up.

in the meantime, in the 1.5 hours or so that it's had the firmware update, i've seen one spontaneous reboot (no buttons touched) and one "reloading" that froze the screen. Had to to a return to previous screen and then restart the movie

not looking good but i'll see how it goes the rest of the night, and if it continues i'll do a factory reset and see if i can re-install the latest firmware again and then see what it does tomorrow - tks for the tip

Last edited by larryccf; 07-13-2014 at 03:30 PM.
post #106 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
not sure what you mean by channels already installed - when i hooked it up it walked me thru the setup procedure, including setting up an account with Roku,...
OK,if you went thru the setup procedure then your unit has already been reset.

Last edited by greaser; 07-13-2014 at 03:30 PM.
post #107 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes the Sony was slow and generally just not that good, the only thing it had going for it was it's S-video output.
Funny you mention the remote on the Roku, it's the exact reason I went with the WD. I thought the Roku just had far too few buttons to work properly. Now maybe it would have worked OK, it's just I tend to like a remote with dedicated buttons, not tiny useless buttons but a good selection. Of course one of my favorite remotes is my Tivo peanut remote, very few buttons but fits in the hand very nicely and other than a dedicated CC button it has everything I could want, so maybe I would have been OK with the Roku remote......
"I thought the Roku just had far too few buttons to work properly." I thought similiarly when i first opened it but you've got to try it - in use it's all you need PLUS it took this old fart all of 4 minutes to know the button layout so i didn't have to look at the remote to operate - the sparcity of buttons really shined WHEN I USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND USE THE ONSCREEN KEYBOARD - this thing was a snap. It's hard to convey but they really hit a magic layout, size etc, imho, for comfortable, easy to use remote, plus the buttons require a decent level of effort to get them to "clik" - makes it hard to push the wrong button by accident. Even the wife took to the remote in short order. I don't mind the dedicated remote for the roku, plus i love the RF signal operation, which means i don't have to hold the remote up in the air to clear the coffee table to get the IR beam to the components.

Went over to newegg and scrolled thru the info on the WD - the WD remote is at the opposite end of the spectrum - definitely got a full load of buttons, unless you can set it up to operate the other components, which gave me a headache when i set up my last universal remote. Plus i noticed they had a similiar set of issues re "freezing" on mkv files - they appear to have corrected that particular issue but it just tells me everyone's unit is going to have some issues.

Last edited by larryccf; 07-13-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #108 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess there has to be a reason Roku is basically the standard for media players I mean if a store is going to only sell one brand it will be a Roku. I'm quite happy with my WD, for sure it's miles ahead of the Sony, maybe one day I'll get to try a Roku and and see what your talking about
post #109 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well I guess there has to be a reason Roku is basically the standard for media players I mean if a store is going to only sell one brand it will be a Roku. I'm quite happy with my WD, for sure it's miles ahead of the Sony, maybe one day I'll get to try a Roku and and see what your talking about
didn't mean to slam or wasn't slamming the WD and i'm sure it's what you described, it's just that the roku hit a lot of buttons with me in terms of ergonomics and UI, plus the damn remote is a game controller - if i can get this thing to work properly, i'll get a second remote then the wife and i can play tennis on TV
post #110 of 111 Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
RoKu and WD Live are different animals. RoKu is primarily an Internet channel streamer with some minor capability to play local content (DVD, BD) from a server on your network. As an Internet streamer RoKu is unsurpassed in the number of channels it offers. As a local content player it cannot access network shares and requires a media server (i.e. Plex) running on a Media-PC or a NAS that can transcode the source files to one of the limited number of formats the RoKu can handle.

WD Live is primarily a local content streamer. It has native support for a wide array of audio/video codecs and formats and plays just about anything you throw at it without the need to transcode. It connects to media servers as well as PC and Linux shares and has USB ports for attaching local HDD's full of content that can be accessed over the network by your PC for managing. As an Internet streamer it offers a nice selection of the more popular Internet channels but nowhere near the number that RoKu has.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #111 of 111 Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM

the refurb'd roku 2 XS went back to newegg and i upgraded to a brand new one - in 5 days have not seen any issues, reboots etc

interesting development though that relates to jjeff's remark about sony & notarious over CP protection. I went to copy a "Extras" dvd from a DVD set for a TV series i'd bought a few years back, and playing it in the sony, thru the video filter, i got the "copy protection detected - cannot record" msg. Moved the dvd over to the samsung HD 850 and it copied without a hitch

so that sony player must be inserting some signal re CP protection that the video filter wasn't set to strip.

FWIW

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page