What happened to THE " Video Filter" - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #121 of 148 Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one of these but no longer use it, would be willing to part with it for what I paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 02-28-2016, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Logic Design (Max) has replied to my PM by giving me the site for the sale of the Video Filter. He is reluctant to post it himself as some time ago (and I had almost forgotten this) he was heavily criticized for using this forum as an advertisement. It is apparently against the rules for him to post about his product, but I am merely giving an informed opinion by doing it. Oh-Kayyye then...

The web page for the Video Filter (notice the caps) is:

http://www.videofilternet.com/index.html

If you have any questions, there is an e-mail address that you can send them to Max. I use the Video Filter, and although it is a bit more expensive, it offers some options and advantages too. The question is, whether it will serve your needs? It certainly runs much cooler than my Sima device.

Oh, and no, I have gotten no compensation for posting this. Call it a public service announcement.
jokershere83 likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #123 of 148 Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I was able to contact Max via email and received their website info. for the filter. I'm still deciding whether to go with a Grex or Logic Design's Video Filter.

My home setup is : cable service thru AT&T U-verse receiver boxes w/ DVR
Panasonic DMR-EZ48V dvd/vcr recorder combo - manufactured 2011
Sony flatscreen w/ hdmi
The hdmi cord goes from TV to u-verse receiver and I am using red,white, yellow composite cable linking the dvd/vcr recorder unit to u-verse receiver for copying DVR recordings or live TV onto a DVD.

The shows that I am not able to copy onto dvd from dvr are: SNL re-runs from various channels (VH1 , VH1C, Logo, etc...) and 2 or 3 old HBO stand-up comedy specials.

Questions for anyone who uses either a Grex or The Video Filter:

Will either device work fine with my setup or is one better suited for it than the other?
Before I buy any device, are there other things I should try that would enable me to record these protected shows such as alternate way of connecting recorder to dvr or certain type of blank dvd?
I would greatly appreciate any info. before I make a purchase decision. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my previous posts!

post #124 of 148 Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 992
I assume you have a PC since you're posting on this forum. And since you have HBO, you also have HBO Go. Would it not be much cheaper and simpler to use a screen recorder for your HBO stuff? And with one free month of Netflix, you could record all the SNL re-runs you want using the same screen recorder. And that would be HD, far better quality than DVD. You could still burn the results to DVD if you wish. I would pursue that before spending any money on filters that may or may not even work.
post #125 of 148 Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
....I would pursue that before spending any money on filters that may or may not even work.
While I'm not disagreeing that using a PC may work quite well, I don't think there is any doubt any of the filters the OP is asking about would work to remove CP. Now maybe if your talking about a cheap "VHS" type of filter it probably won't work for the OP, but a quality DVD type filter should work just fine for a line input DVDR, I use a Grex and also older Sima and both allow me to record anything I've tried. The Sima lightens blacks quite a bit and I'm not to fond of that and the Grex loses a tiny amount of resolution but doesn't really effect the black level so I mainly use the Grex.
My guess is the Video Filter may be the best of the lot and if your OK with the price you probably can't go wrong, otherwise maybe the OP would want to try the Grex from Amazon and if they weren't satisfied they'd only be out maybe $5-10 for return shipping. I doubt they'd be returning it though, oh and if their Uverse had S-video out they should get quite a bit better picture than lowly composite
jokershere83 likes this.
post #126 of 148 Old 03-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't actually get HBO, I just recorded a few shows during one of their free weekend previews that pop up a couple times a year. I will definitely try the s-video cable instead of yellow composite cable.

I have also been looking into getting a 2nd dvd recorder unit, just a basic dvd player/recorder to go in my bedroom, but want to make sure I get a reliable brand/model. The main criteria I am looking for are: ability to read/ record onto a variety of blank discs especially +DL format ,
ability to press pause button on dvd remote when copying a dvr program onto a blank dvd so I can cut out certain parts of the program ,
is very lax in identifying copyright protection ,
great picture/audio quality when copying onto dvd ,
durable and long lifespan.

It doesn't have to be a newly released model (I read that older models are much better than most of the newer ones) or available in stores ( I will probably buy from Amazon, ebay, etc..).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks again to all who have replied!!!
post #127 of 148 Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Your DL criteria really limits your choice of DVDRs. Very few brands support writing to DL media. Panasonics do but only '06 and newer models and by '08(probably the year of your EZ-48v) they stopped developing new DVDRs.
I guess using your criteria I'd suggest either a tunerless EA-18 or EZ-28 that has a built in digital tuner. Any of the '07 EZ-x7 models would also work but they are known to be quirky at best, I never had luck with the EZ-x7 models.
post #128 of 148 Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Thanks! I wasn't aware the DL discs were so incompatible with other players/recorders. The only reason I use them is to fit as many episodes of a tv series onto one disc without changing the recording quality to a lesser mode. What other recorder options would you suggest if I used regular DVD +/ - R discs instead of DL?
post #129 of 148 Old 03-03-2016, 05:24 AM

At this stage of the game there isn't much choice for standalone DVDRs of any type, a popular model on this forum is one of the Magnavox DVDRs w/HDD but they may be out of your price range. Your best bet for looking into those would be to check out Wajo's sticky thread near the top of the DVDR forum. Magnavox also makes HDD less DVDRs but those aren't of the quality of the HDD models so if your just looking for a HDD less model I'd still probably steer you towards a Panasonic.
You didn't say how you liked your EZ-48v but it is known to be one of the more temperamental Panasonic models, it does make very good recordings, up to LP if you can put up with some macroblocking but others like to not really push about 2.5hrs/SL disc using FR which is easy for one title but gets harder the more titles you have per disc. I personally put things like small extras on my DVDs in LP and for longer extras I use FR set to 3 hrs(of course this would be on a blank disc, less than a blank disc and recording in a particular FR speed requires a bit of calculation) and for the main movie or title I like to use FR set to no longer than 2hrs 42 minutes or as I call it FR2.7
Using FR when first recording to a HDD is much easier to use for multiple titles because you can set FR to whatever you want for any title and it will calculate things as if it were a blank disc, IOW you don't have to figure how much space is remaining on the disc and figure from there. Panasonic HDD models are quite hard to find, the last domestic one being made in '06 although international Panasonics w/HDD are still available if not a bit expensive at times.
Personally if you don't think you want a HDD then I'd just keep an eye out for a used EA-18 or EZ-28(or another EZ-48v if that model has been working ok for you) and that way you could continue to use DL media. Panasonics older than '05 don't have full D1 resolution in LP as the newer models do, in fact really nothing longer than SP will be full D1 on those older Pansonics, which is why I don't really care for them, if you only use SP or faster then you might be able to find a good deal on such a model but again none record to DL media.
post #130 of 148 Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM

All of this info. has been very helpful. I really appreciate it! I also wanted to know your input on using an S-video cable. It is used in conjunction with the red and white RCA composite cable for audio, correct? Is there a certain type of s-video cable that is better than others? I saw some reviews on Amazon that said the shorter s-video cables (3feet) work better than long ones. Would a combo cable with three separate connector heads (s-vid, red, white) on each end of the cable be ok or is it better to use stand alone cables for each connection? Thanks.
post #131 of 148 Old 03-04-2016, 04:39 AM

Yes along with the S-video cable you need a red and white audio cable. I've used all types of S-video cables and they all preform equally well. I tend to prefer the thinner ones for ease of use, I have a few thicker ones I don't care for as much, mainly because they are stiff and bulky, not that they don't work as good as the others.
Personally the ones I like the best I've been getting at Menards(a local hardware type store, similar to Home Depot) which can be had for <$5 each. I've never had a S-video cable go bad but some people have and the symptom is B&W or an odd colored picture, sometimes if the cable isn't seated all the way I've seen this but just reseating has always fixed it for me.
I really really don't like composite(the yellow video cable) and see a much more acceptable picture(on a 46" HDTV) using S-video, of course with most VCRs composite is your only choice but on things like DVD players or even DVRs I use S-video or nothing at all. It's the main reason I still use my old Tivo even though I also have a new Tivo, only the old one has S-video and it gives me very good SD backups to my DVDR, the new one's composite is ehh, but since S-video is basically a dead standard, things are only going to get worse. Of course I use HDMI for actually watching things that have HDMI but S-video is all I really use to feed my DVDRs.
post #132 of 148 Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM

I'll definitely get a few and try them out. Thanks again for all the help!
post #133 of 148 Old 03-05-2016, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes along with the S-video cable you need a red and white audio cable. I've used all types of S-video cables and they all preform equally well. I tend to prefer the thinner ones for ease of use, I have a few thicker ones I don't care for as much, mainly because they are stiff and bulky, not that they don't work as good as the others.
Personally the ones I like the best I've been getting at Menards(a local hardware type store, similar to Home Depot) which can be had for <$5 each. I've never had a S-video cable go bad but some people have and the symptom is B&W or an odd colored picture, sometimes if the cable isn't seated all the way I've seen this but just reseating has always fixed it for me.
I really really don't like composite(the yellow video cable) and see a much more acceptable picture(on a 46" HDTV) using S-video, of course with most VCRs composite is your only choice but on things like DVD players or even DVRs I use S-video or nothing at all. It's the main reason I still use my old Tivo even though I also have a new Tivo, only the old one has S-video and it gives me very good SD backups to my DVDR, the new one's composite is ehh, but since S-video is basically a dead standard, things are only going to get worse. Of course I use HDMI for actually watching things that have HDMI but S-video is all I really use to feed my DVDRs.

Have you seen any television since 2014 that has S-Video input connectors? In my experience, if you use reasonable quality cables and restrict the length to what is actually needed rather than 9 or 12 ft standard lengths, the quality of composite is almost indistinguishable from S-Video. My television is a 55 inch HD.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #134 of 148 Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Have you seen any television since 2014 that has S-Video input connectors? In my experience, if you use reasonable quality cables and restrict the length to what is actually needed rather than 9 or 12 ft standard lengths, the quality of composite is almost indistinguishable from S-Video. My television is a 55 inch HD.
YMMV and I only use 6 foot S-cables to my DVDRs. AFA your first question, no as I said before S-video is basically dead, only our old designed DVDRs have it and older DVRs, nothing new In fact my most recent TV, a nicer Samsung(all others are the same) couldn't even bother to include a dedicated composite video input it was shared with one of the inputs for component(which there was only one!) so by using component you had NO SD inputs whatsoever Again it made no difference the brand nor cost, all TVs were this way. Multiple HDMI inputs and one shared component/composite
post #135 of 148 Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I've never had a S-video cable go bad but some people have and the symptom is B&W or an odd colored picture, sometimes if the cable isn't seated all the way I've seen this but just reseating has always fixed it for me.
The only time i've ever had an S-vid cable "go bad" is when one of the pins somehow got bent.In that case ya might as well toss it.If you use a pair of needle-nosed pliers you can *sort of* bend the pin to a somewhat normal position and try to re-seat it in the input,but the result is always poor.Better to toss it and grab another cheap cable.
post #136 of 148 Old 03-06-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 70
My friend had DirecTV SD service. Their stupid box didn't go above s-video and his stupid flat panel TV didn't have s-video, so they had to live with composite. to both companies (major brand LCD or LED but I can't remember the brand, I think new about 5 years ago).

P.S. The box only output 4:3 but the TV was set to stretch to fill the screen. I adjusted it to 4:3 so it would look geometrically correct, but the wifey got upset saying how it was before is "how it's supposed to be!" so I set it back. Man that was tough to watch TV like that.

Last edited by Floydage; 03-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #137 of 148 Old 05-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
According to the stats here, the last visit to AVSforum by Logic Design was a year ago. Every URL or other contact I've seen listed appears to be no longer valid. Does anyone have current contact info ?
post #138 of 148 Old 05-30-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last I heard from Logic Design he was going under the user name "Video Filter" here on this forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...eo-filter.html

Last reported activity was:

Last Activity: 05-16-2017

Which wasn't all that long ago. Read the thread starting here:

Problem with digital video stabilizer

For more help.

Luke

post #139 of 148 Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am still here....If you are still interested in the Video Filter, please write me a PM at videofilter@cfl.rr.com
post #140 of 148 Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can comment on my experience with both the Grex and the Video Filter. When my cable supplier introduced copy protection in October 2015, I ordered a Grex from Isreal. It came promptly and I hooked it up immediately, using only s-video connections. After carefully examining recordings made with the Grex, I reluctantly noted a slightly fuzzy resolution, compared to my previous CP free recordings. As I mostly recorded older black and white movies, the sharpness I had become used to, just wasn't there. I was forever fidgeting with contrast and brightness controls with little improvement. On a couple of recordings, particularly where there is lots of quick, flashing light, some brief distortion occurred.

Earlier this year I obtained the Video Filter. I immediately attempted to record, when broadcast, the same films I had recorded when using the Grex. The VF recordings seem to retain the original sharpness, so I continue to replace all the earlier Grex-recorded films as they are broadcast. Thus far I have not noticed any problems with the distortion flashing, though I am still waiting comparison as the problem films are re-broadcast. However I still find the 16x9 and 4x3 aspect ratios are only fitting into SB sizes (black borders on all 4 sides), in spite of my attempts to adjust the switches on both the VF and my Toshiba 630. Not a huge deal for me, though, as good resolution is priority number one...
post #141 of 148 Old 09-22-2017, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can comment on my experience with both the Sima and the Video Filter. In short, the Sima, (and I assume the various clones that have appeared) really did a number on the brightness. The image seemed washed out and very overly bright. The Video Filter had none of those issues. I had transferred some VHS tapes to DVD for my wife, and to save time I did two at a time using different players and recorders, one set passing through the Sima, the other through the Video Filter. The wife immediately flagged the ones that had been through the Sima as completely inferior and made me redo them through the Video Filter. The Sima also seemed to get rather hot id left on for an extended time. The Video Filter did not have this problem.

Luke

post #142 of 148 Old 09-22-2017, 04:36 AM

I have 4 Sima's(all CT-2 models) and 3 of the 4 really wash out the picture, to the point I really avoid using them and almost exclusively use the 1 I've marked "good BL". None of the Sima's really effect the resolution(I use S-video in/out). I also have a Grex, which doesn't really effect black level but does slightly reduce resolution. If I'm in a pinch and need to use 2 converters at the same time I use my one good Sima and the Grex.
I really wish there was a way to fix the black level on my other 3 Sima's but I've taken them apart and see no adjustments It's weird 3 of the 4 are bad, almost like the one that's good is the anomaly
post #143 of 148 Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
My Sima CT-2 video filter sits safely in a drawer unable to screw up any more of my recordings.
It's a Lousy filter,but i was glad to have around til i found better filters and converters.
post #144 of 148 Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I agree most of the "filters" (and TBCs-ugh) out there impact the video to some negative degree, with an irritating range of unit-to-unit variability.

But the fact remains, "THE Video Filter" is a one-off product, a bit out of the price range and comfort zone of many fly-by posters who drop into AVS with the sole question "what can I use when my DVD recorder refuses to cooperate?" The subtext of their question is "what commercial product can I buy from Amazon with some guarantee of easy returns that doesn't cost as much as my recorder did?"

Superb as "THE Video Filter" may be, it is double the cost most newbies are prepared to pay, they aren't all that keen on dealing directly with an individual craftsman/seller whose web presence fluctuates unpredictably, and they really could not care less about (or even visually register) the black-level and smearing flaws we geeks notice from devices like the Grex. So, I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the Grex or various Sima knockoffs that sell in the $80 range: they can serve adequately for casual users who aren't looking for the nth degree of quality.

If you ARE looking for such ultra quality, you probably shouldn't still be using dvd recorders anyway: I've never understood some of the guys here who spend $500 assembling a collection of high-grade dongles just to patch a mediocre cable box into a barely-adequate dvd recorder. It is 2017: for that money and aggravation, I'd rather patch an HDMI splitter into an HDMI recorder (or PC) and maintain a completely digital, completely HDTV signal chain. Off-air-antenna people have the even simpler option of dirt-cheap direct-HDTV tuner-recorders like the Homeworx units.

"THE Video Filter" is unparalleled if you do need to record an analog source infested with CGMS or MV-D to the analog inputs of a digital recorder. It is free from all the usual video artifacts one sees in other similar devices, and miles better than any TBC. Anybody doing serious archiving of this nature will be thrilled with it. But it does suffer the drawback of extremely limited distribution, and it ain't exactly cheap.

There are better mainstream solutions for high-quality timeshifting (where you don't plan to keep a recording after watching it once). Archiving full HDTV permanently is better achieved today via all-digital capture workflows: degrading an HDTV signal down to what a dvd recorder can handle seems an ass-backwards setup unless you have a specific need for an immediate, standard-def dvd version.
billmich and mickinct like this.

Last edited by CitiBear; 09-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #145 of 148 Old 09-29-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi CitiBear, Thank You for the Video Filter accolades. I just finished building some units. If anyone is interested, Please send me an E-Mail to videofilter@cfl.rr.com.
post #146 of 148 Old 10-15-2017, 01:30 PM

My Video Filter continues to work perfectly. However, recently after recording some TCM films, I now notice an annoying bright white, horizontal flashing line, just above the image. I'm recording the HD films in SD so there is inevitably black bars on all 4 sides. Previously these white lines were very faint and thus not really discernible. Now they are most distracting so I have resorted to putting black masking at the top of my TV screen. I don't think this problem is related to the video filter as there was no problem until recently. Could it be some signal forthcoming from my cable supplier or the program supplier?
post #147 of 148 Old 10-15-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Recording quality of TCM via SD signals has degraded noticeably for many of us ever since TCM decided to abandon its separate SD feed for full-time HDTV. The problem with their HDTV formatting is most of their classic film catalog is in 4:3 aspect ratio. When sent thru an HD-optimized cable or satellite feed, the SD output gets "windowboxed" as you've experienced (black bars all around, with the video being a half-sized presentation in the middle of the screen).

Not only does this degrade picture quality, it also exposes the top/bottom frame edge "garbage" that is normally hidden. These defects may not be visible in the broadcast, but get distorted and magnified when recorded thru a filter accessory.

All you can do is try a different brand of filter, or switch to an HDMI to composite converter (or component to composite converter). The converter boxes tap the original HD feed from cable box HD outputs and convert it to SD, without windowboxing, so the frame is normal height with top/bottom edges masked by the TV. The video will still be non-standard: "pillarboxed" with black bars on the sides, and anamorphically squeezed. This is easily fixed by pressing your TV's picture size button to unsqueeze it.

Last edited by CitiBear; 10-15-2017 at 07:47 PM.
post #148 of 148 Old 10-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Well, the good news is the annoying white horizontal line on TCM's SD broadcast is apparently in their signal. Some, but not all, 4:3 films are showing this continually flashing, white line just above the frame. Bell Fibre in Canada still broadcast the TCM SD signal and it's very evident there, so it has nothing to do with my Video Filter (thank goodness!) Bell claim the signal comes in this way from TCM so they claim no responsibility. I've tried unsuccessfully to contact TCM about this issue. I'm interested to know if anyone else sees this white line during broadcasts, only on SD. The rub is, if you are recording from HD, like I do, you get the SD picture size, complete with this flaw. If no one else is noticing this, then Bell must be the culprit. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page