What happened to THE " Video Filter" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you find info on the " Video Filter" All I see are reviews on the Grex and Dp- 5000 copy stabilizers. Any ideas on how to find The Video Filter website???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Does the Video Filter give the user any control over the black level?
post #3 of 111 Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
No, the one that I have does not allow any control over the black level. But unlike my SIMA "device" it does not change the black level either. I really wish it DID have a black level control.

As far as where you can get one of these now, I cannot find the web page anymore.

Logic Design: where is the order page?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 111 Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM

If you guys haven't guessed by now, they are no longer available.

I've always felt the Video Filter had the best image quality (totally transparent), and the later units will pass HD thru component, assuming you have a component-in device that can record HD. So if you passed up an opportunity to get one, they are gone. For good? Last I heard, he sold off all remaining stock and did not have plans on reviving the units frown.gif.
post #5 of 111 Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 324
^^^
That's a real bummer for the people who want to use a Hauppauge 1212 to record protected HD/5.1 content from their cable STB or DVR's component outputs.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 111 Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

If you guys haven't guessed by now, they are no longer available.

I've always felt the Video Filter had the best image quality (totally transparent), and the later units will pass HD thru component, assuming you have a component-in device that can record HD. So if you passed up an opportunity to get one, they are gone. For good? Last I heard, he sold off all remaining stock and did not have plans on reviving the units frown.gif.

No, I hadn't guessed. I suppose I should have given that Logic Design hasn't posted here a LONG time. this is truly unfortunate for several reasons, one it that I have been dragging my feed on getting a second one, and now they are gone.frown.gif

Thanks for the update.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 111 Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Darn. So I guess he never even proto'd a HDMI->analog version to work with HD set top boxes that didn't have a decent 16x9 analog out. The cheap ones worked but the the picture sucked compared to the original analog Video Fiter. That would've been a license to print money on this board.
post #8 of 111 Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

No, I hadn't guessed. I suppose I should have given that Logic Design hasn't posted here a LONG time. this is truly unfortunate for several reasons, one it that I have been dragging my feed on getting a second one, and now they are gone.frown.gif Thanks for the update.

It's sad that the Video Filter was discontinued.

Probably the support of the unit got unbearable, as copy protection systems got more sophisticated. I missed out on getting one because I was waiting for resolutions on problems, such as no output, no recording, or heat.

Along with cheaper (not better) solutions, it seemed the Video Filter was doomed.

I appreciated Logic Design's efforts.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #9 of 111 Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

No, I hadn't guessed. I suppose I should have given that Logic Design hasn't posted here a LONG time. this is truly unfortunate for several reasons, one it that I have been dragging my feed on getting a second one, and now they are gone.frown.gif Thanks for the update.

It's sad that the Video Filter was discontinued.

Probably the support of the unit got unbearable, as copy protection systems got more sophisticated. I missed out on getting one because I was waiting for resolutions on problems, such as no output, no recording, or heat.

Along with cheaper (not better) solutions, it seemed the Video Filter was doomed.

I appreciated Logic Design's efforts.

Yeah, I really wish he would stay on line here. His knowledge and advice was valuable, ASIDE from the Video Filter stuff.

Luke

post #10 of 111 Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi to everyone,

This is my first post in a while. I appreciate keeping the Video Filter name still alive. After the last batch of unit, I decided to scale down and be on the sidelines. I have been considering an updated version of the filter and have done some work on it. Bought a Magnavox 515 months ago to experiment with. it is different from other recorders in that besides responding to CGMS, it also uses Colorburst as copy protection determination. There are ways to deal with this but even if it can be done, the resulting video output quality will suffer and that is why I am reluctant to consider a work-around. One of the best features oi the filter is it's output quality. When replacing the colorburst, it is very difficult to maintain the original colors and black level. One question I have is for the Hauppuage 1212. Does it allow you to copy if the input is copy protected? Also, has anyone tried copying video from devices like streaming video media players? Are those copy protected? If there is a compelling reason to revive the filter for devices like this or any other that users of this forum can think of, then there is a possibility of a new batch could be made.
post #11 of 111 Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Bought a Magnavox 515 months ago to experiment with. it is different from other recorders in that besides responding to CGMS, it also uses Colorburst as copy protection determination.

First, thank you, Max, for coming back and giving us insight on what has been going on. Hopefully the Video Filter can be resurrected for all of us to use and enjoy.

Next, I found the above quote to be profound. That probably explains why copying on the Magnavoxes have been problematic. Makes my Panasonic DVD recorders seem more valuable now.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #12 of 111 Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First, thank you, Max, for coming back and giving us insight on what has been going on.

+1

It's good to hear from you again. I sent you PM some time ago, and I hope you have a chance to reply to it.

If you DO run another batch of the Video Filter, please let me know because I want one, or maybe two!

Luke

post #13 of 111 Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Also, has anyone tried copying video from devices like streaming video media players? Are those copy protected? If there is a compelling reason to revive the filter for devices like this or any other that users of this forum can think of, then there is a possibility of a new batch could be made.

Copy protection probably varies from provider to provider, but Amazon's unbox does use CP (and the video filter overcame it). Seriously, HDMI->S-Video, please smile.gif
post #14 of 111 Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi to everyone,
This is my first post in a while. I appreciate keeping the Video Filter name still alive. After the last batch of unit, I decided to scale down and be on the sidelines. I have been considering an updated version of the filter and have done some work on it. Bought a Magnavox 515 months ago to experiment with. it is different from other recorders in that besides responding to CGMS, it also uses Colorburst as copy protection determination. There are ways to deal with this but even if it can be done, the resulting video output quality will suffer and that is why I am reluctant to consider a work-around. One of the best features oi the filter is it's output quality. When replacing the colorburst, it is very difficult to maintain the original colors and black level. One question I have is for the Hauppuage 1212. Does it allow you to copy if the input is copy protected? Also, has anyone tried copying video from devices like streaming video media players? Are those copy protected? If there is a compelling reason to revive the filter for devices like this or any other that users of this forum can think of, then there is a possibility of a new batch could be made.

I have a Roku box and a new Magnavox 537 and until last night when I tried to record Elf from Amazon onto the Magnavox's hard drive I had never run into any copy protection issues. It seems that Elf is copy protected even from being backed up onto my the DVR harddrive in the Magnavox. It seems as if the only possible solution is the Grex box. Is there anything else out there?
post #15 of 111 Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #16 of 111 Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Also, has anyone tried copying video from devices like streaming video media players? Are those copy protected? If there is a compelling reason to revive the filter for devices like this or any other that users of this forum can think of, then there is a possibility of a new batch could be made.

Netflix is copy protected on Roku. I'll buy two of them if you make another batch.
post #17 of 111 Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Logic Design, since all BD recorders available in the US will only accept HD input from camcorders, if you could develop a converter to adapt HDMI, or component + audio to the camcorder input, I bet you'd sell a lot of them! I know I'd buy one, and a BD recorder.
post #18 of 111 Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Netflix is copy protected on Roku. I'll buy two of them if you make another batch.

What kind of output are you using from the Roku? I bought one and it only has HDMI but the Video Filter is only S-Video, Components and Composite compatible.
post #19 of 111 Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

What kind of output are you using from the Roku? I bought one and it only has HDMI but the Video Filter is only S-Video, Components and Composite compatible.

It's a Roku2 XS with HDMI and composite outputs.
post #20 of 111 Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

It's easy to do using a Grex as well but the Roku 2s will only output composite if the HDMI port is empty. So I use one Roku just for that purpose because I gave my Roku 1 away. It would output both at the same time.
post #21 of 111 Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 14
iI you bring back the VIdeo Filter again i would be interested, but would probably prefer the old type made up till last year/this year.as i only use Panasonics anyway.
post #22 of 111 Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Are there any other filters out there that wont remove closed captions on an old VHS?
post #23 of 111 Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #24 of 111 Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 AM

Ahh thats good, i got 2 of those but they are not here with me, need to get my USA friend to forward them onto me. The only thing is do the MCM filters handle PAL? can you test that? I actually cant remember but this tape i got from Brazil or Argentina so i am pretty sure its PAL? The subs are really rough/faint and i was thinking using a TBC would totally wipe them out.There are sometimes when a basic filter can be more handy than a TBC.
might try one of thsse for PAL
http://www.nightlight.co.uk/products1.htm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Copy-Decoder-Scart/dp/B000FDAKY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356267442&sr=8-1
post #25 of 111 Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The MCM fikter/converter I have and linked to above doesn't do PAL.

I also couldn't find one:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/
post #26 of 111 Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Heres an interesting site
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/products.html
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/products/macmaster2.html

and the history
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/about.html

manuals here
http://macromaster.co.uk/dvd/downloads/MacroMaster%20manuals/

Been trying to sort my way through the waffle and the many different versions. I actually emailed them to see if i can get some straight up answers. I can not stand the 'this is the worlds best copy remover' type statements

I guess another PAL option is the Cypress CCR9 which i reckon is what the Sima CT-2 was
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYP-REPLICA-2-CCR9-MULTISYSTEM-VIDEO-CONVERTOR-STABILISER-/181008997806?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2a24fa1dae

http://www.cypconverters.com.au/video-processors/ccr-9.html

Grex?
Copiall?

Then theres this unknown bunch of cheapies
http://www.qualitekindustries.com/noname.html

I dont know how these handle CC though.
post #27 of 111 Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Excited about getting a couple of new The Video Filters!

What is the ETA on production?

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #28 of 111 Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Video Filters will be available again in about 10 days. If you are interested, send me a PM.
post #29 of 111 Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Video Filters will be available again in about 10 days. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Thanks greatly for this!

Luke

post #30 of 111 Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 112
The Video Filter still available?

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page