Copy Protection on FMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use Phil3575 and recorded to HDD two movies from 1945 and 1947. They record just fine and I can watch them from the HDD.

When I try to dub them to DVD, I get a copy protected notice and it won't dub. TMC movies dub just fine.

I have not tried to record straight to the DVD to see if it is a copy once thing. I will try it on another movie today and see if it does the same.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Thanks for reading this.....

Moderation in all things---except recording movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'll give it a try, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Fox is probably the worst studio when it comes to copy protection on BD's and DVD's. It borders on paranoia.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebsdad View Post

I have not tried to record straight to the DVD to see if it is a copy once thing.
If it is a copy-once thing you will not be able to record directly to DVD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you are encountering a COPY-ONCE flag in the content, you will have to get a filtering device to place in-line to eliminate the problem.

Unfortunately, I am expecting to see this kind of thing more often. frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Update: on CP on FMC

I just recorded to DVD a Fox movie and it did just fine on my panny EA18. Not CP.

I think that proves the problem lies in my Phil3575 setting a CP flag when copying to HDD. Although it does great when I'm recording from TCM.

Now what to do about that?

post #6 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

A little more update:

I tried to record straight to the DVD and I got a window that said "this program cannot be recorded to disk in +VR mode"

Could I get someone to check if you can record to DVD from FMC?

I know I have done this in the past and I'm wondering how I can record with my EA18 Panny but how they could deny +VR formatted disk.

Thanks,
Bill

post #7 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When you record with the Panasonic what type of disk are you using -- DVD-RAM, -R or -RW.

If a show is copy once, you will never be able to record to disk with a funai recorder because they are built around the +VR format which does not support CPRM. Panasonic recorders recording to RAM disks are CPRM compliant and will record copy-once to disk.

There was a big discussion a long time ago about the early funai recorders (I believe the philips) incorrectly identifying copy-once signals that were not there. There were side-by-side tests like yours where users could record the program to a Panasonic recorder but not the funai. It was eventually identified as having something to do with the transition between the program and the commercials -- it triggered a false copy-once signal to the funai. Some tried to claim that there was nothing wrong with the funai but that the commercials were copy-protected -- that never made sense in light of the fact that other recorders, specifically Panasonic, could record the program (commercials and all) without issue. Regardless of the cause, it was found that by editing out the commercials (cutting on the program side before the transition) remedied the problem and the edited program could now be burned to disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I use -RW and +RW on both Phil3575 and Panny.

I edited the gibberish before the movie and after the movie after it was recorded to the HDD (Phil3575) and it made no difference when I tried to dub to the DVD. I have also recorded in just the middle of the movie on FMC and got the same results.

Funny thing, everything was working fine on any recorder until just recently (mid August). I don't record a lot of stuff on FMC so I couldn't say exactly when it started.

My work around for this is to use the 3575 for TCM on one receiver and the Panny for FMC on a different receiver.

I wonder if one of wago's famous skip codes might take care of the problem?

Thank you for your incite on this problem.

Bill

post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebsdad View Post

I use -RW and +RW on both Phil3575 and Panny.
The Panasonic only records in CPRM compatible -VR mode on DVD-RAM disks. It makes DVD-Video compliant disks on DVD-R/W media which means if the source is copy-protected the Panasonic will not record it on DVD-R/W. So if the Panasonic is recording the source onto DVD-R/W, then the source is not copy-protected and the problem lies with your Philips 3575.

- kelson h

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page