Best DVD-RAM brand for Panasonic recorders? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Apologies if this thread is in the wrong category; mods, feel free to move it)

I have only one Panasonic DVD-RAM disc (purchased as a single unit) that works on my Panasonic DMR-E80H. I bought a 10-pack of Panasonic RAM discs back in '06, which still read on my computer, but not on the DMR-E80H (though they used to). mad.gif

Besides Panasonic (which seems to dominate the DVD-RAM market these days), the other brands of DVD-RAM I've seen for sale online are Maxell, imation (double sided), Verbatim, JVC, Optodisc, and Fuji. (I'm avoiding Memorex.)

Which brands do you all recommend? MICKINCT recommended imation to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This should be the correct forum smile.gif
I've always had good luck with Panasonic RAM discs but have read cases where they refuse to format on older DVDRs. I think ChurchAVguy had several that wouldn't format in his older Panasonics but after formatting them in one of his newer Panasonics I believe they now work in his older ones. Possibly a friend or nearby AVS follower might have a newer(EZ or EH-59/69) recorder and might let you use it for a few minutes to format your RAM discs?
I've never ran into this problem and don't know what would cause it but I'd for sure try that route before trashing your discs which aren't exactly cheap now days.
Other than Memorex I'd think just about any brand of RAM discs should be fine(RAM disc use is so minimal I doubt anyone would make cheap RAM discs) but one thing I like about Panasonic RAM discs is the incredibly hard coating that is very resistant to scratching, unlike other DVDs that tend to scratch if you even look at them wrong.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have used Panasonic, Maxell, and Verbatim -RAM disks. They all seem to work about the same. The big thing I have found is keeping them clean! Any small spec of dirt is a real problem for a -RAM disk.

Yes, and jjeff has said, I had slowly collected quite a number (six or seven) -RAM disks that woul no longer work in my EH55 machines. Strangely, I got some of them to work in a brand new EH59, and after I formatted them in that machine, they have worked reliably in all of my machines. I don't get it, and I have no explanation. MICKINCT repaired one of my EH55s recently, and that new DVD drive has also managed to "recover" one or two otherwise non functional disks. As I saod, once they are reformatted successfully, they seem to work in all machines (EH50s, EH55s, EH75s, EH59s, and an EH69). Since this issue has come up a few years ago, I have taken to use "delete all titles" rather than "reformat" when I finish with a disk.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I generally use TDK, and have rarely had any issues of readability or degradation with them on either my DMR-E85H, other standalone recorder or player units, or desktop/laptop units -- I buy them at Fry's when they're on sale at the store in this local region, usually in the 50-disc plastic spindle containers for the one-time recordable and in the 25-disc containers for the rewritable versions.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am transferring many sporting events I originally had on RAM onto other medium, and am willing to sell RAM discs to interested parties at a discounted price
PM me if interested......
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaknig of -RAM disks. I have been slowly recording all of the episodes of a show, and this weekend, I cleaned off the HDD in an EH59, and started transferring the episodes (stored on -RAM disks) to it. I didn't realize that something like 40 -RAM disks would take over ten hours to HS dub to the HDD, although had I done the simple math, it would have been obvious. I was wondering part way through the process if such a continuous use of the laser might be bad for the DVD drive. A completely full -RAM disk, 3x, takes 15 to 20 minutes to copy the contents to the internal drive.

Now I have about 130 hours (LP) of content on that recorder that I have to edit the commercials out of before transferring them to -R disks. Won't THAT be fun. Still, at six episodes per disk, at least I'll see some progress as I go, and I have freed up a lot of my -RAM disks. smile.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Speaknig of -RAM disks. I have been slowly recording all of the episodes of a show, and this weekend, I cleaned off the HDD in an EH59, and started transferring the episodes (stored on -RAM disks) to it. I didn't realize that something like 40 -RAM disks would take over ten hours to HS dub to the HDD, although had I done the simple math, it would have been obvious. I was wondering part way through the process if such a continuous use of the laser might be bad for the DVD drive. A completely full -RAM disk, 3x, takes 15 to 20 minutes to copy the contents to the internal drive.

Now I have about 130 hours (LP) of content on that recorder that I have to edit the commercials out of before transferring them to -R disks. Won't THAT be fun. Still, at six episodes per disk, at least I'll see some progress as I go, and I have freed up a lot of my -RAM disks. smile.gif

Porb. no damage but you were using the burner at a high-power (heat) rate with the high-speed copy, as described in my long-term "research project" here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I can’t comment specifically on your “RAM” situation because I don’t know how much laser power RAM discs require but if they are similar to –R SL discs then burning at x3 speed using a 6x burner shouldn’t heat up too much but I would still wait atleast 10 minutes between HSD burning. That’s my opinion.

Now regarding –R discs and burners I have some info from a Sony Tech guy who fixes Sony Broadcast and Production products. Sony does not really manufacture pro DVD units (they market XDCam for B&P which uses Blu-Ray technology but is more robust than consumer blu-ray) so my contact got his info from his colleague who works for Sony Consumer and is familiar with my RDR-HX780. So my info is second-hand but in my opinion comes from a very reliable source.

I specifically asked regarding my Sony RDR-HX780.
Stuff I was told:

1) Burning a 1x to 16x rated disc @ 6x or burning a 1x to 8x rated disc @ 6x requires the same laser power as long as the 8x and 16x discs are of similar quality.

2) Burning a 1x to 16x rated disc @ 6x or burning a 1x to 8x rated disc @ 6x stresses the burner because both discs require high laser power at 6x and approach the maximum limit of the deck – this can cause a lot of heat.

3) Burning a 1x to 16x rated disc @ 1x or burning a 1x to 8x rated disc @ 1x puts far less stress on the LD due to the low power level required to burn @ 1x speed. Due to the low power – the lower heat generated can disperse without causing damage.

I specifically asked my Sony pro contact to ask his Sony consumer contact to state what is the best thing I can do to prolong the life of my RDR-HX780.

4) Refrain from continually HSD burning one disc after another. After each HSD dub give the unit adequate time for the laser to cool off before HSD burning the next disc.
These decks are consumer use units costing around $300 to $500 and should be treated as consumer decks. Professional broadcast & Production decks cost from $20,000 to $80,000.

So Luke my advise to you is let your deck cool off between burns when HSD burning many discs in a row. smile.gif

As to some of the references by some posters at this site. I would take it all with a grain of salt. Not very credible at all A couple of examples.

Someone’s “Post FAQ” here states that
T-Y 1x to 16x discs require more power than T-Y 1x to 8x discs when burning at a 8x speed. Even has a graph yet no reference to the graph. Well surprise, I have reference to a T-Y graph that states that a T-Y 1x to 8x rated disc requires the same laser power at 1x speed or 8x speed as a T-Y 1x to 16x rated disc.

Actual reference, not made up stuff TY stating same laser laser power with their 1to8x and 1to16x discs at slower burn speeds.
http://ds.yuden.co.jp/Detail/download.php?filePath=../ProductData/Series/media02_e.pdf

That same person also states that the credible website Digitalfaq.com recommends the top rated Verbatim discs but only in the 8x speed. . Anyone who wishes to go to Digitalfaq.com will see that this is not true some would say that it’s outright lying. In fact Digitalfaq.com recommends any speed Verbatim AZO discs including 1to16x speed.

Actual reference, not made up stuff digital faq recommending 1to16x media as much as 1to8x media.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

In fact Digitalfaq.com states that Mitsubishi (Verbatim branded) 1x-16x MCC DVD-R tend to work well for 1x real-time burning.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Would it be advise able to HSD ON ONE DECK, and finalize on another?
Does finalization cause much strain?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It was the possible strain of reading all those -RAM disks one right after another I was concerned about. 1) reading is less stressful than writing (I don't KNOW this, but it stands to reason) and 2) 3x is not all that fast considering some disks are 20x these days. I do have a bunch of 5X -RAM disks, but none of them were used for this project.

I am not too concerned about the writing of all that material to -R blanks, because, as I said, I'll have to edit the commercials out of six episodes, generate the thumbnails, and title them, THEN I can HSD them to the blank media. After that is completed, I get to start all over with the NEXT six episodes. PLenty of time with all that editing and titling for the laser to cool back off. smile.gif In fact, plenty of time for my brain to turn to mush. biggrin.gif

It seems amazing that 150 episodes of an hour long TV show can fit on only 25 disks (seven seasons!). eek.gif

Luke

Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

It seems amazing that 150 episodes of an hour long TV show can fit on only 25 disks (seven seasons!). eek.gif
Put them on BD-R and you can knock that down to 5 disks smile.gif

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine