HTPC to replace DVD Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to record in HD. What do I need? Windows or Linux? Wich application to best mimic DVD/HDD Recorders EDIT capabilities?

My capture card will be this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQE1O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A18AIDRTGXK5OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

There's a thread dedicated to Options for Recording After DVDRs Are Gone.

See expecially the boxed note on pg. 1 on CharlesR's switch from Tivo to Windows Media Center (WMC) ... lots of good details there for an HTPC/WMC option. There are many other suggections there for other options as well.

You can ask your questions and discuss there.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
LeandrodaFL, you have been using a standard-def Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder for the past few years. There is nothing remotely close to its ease of use, integration, and simple editing features available in HiDef. For off-air recordings, there are many options in PC software/hardware packages to emulate DVR functions, but it is still a PC and archiving becomes a multi-step, complex process (easier if you only want to watch then delete without making DVDs or BluRays). If you expect to record from cable, the easiest (tho expensive) solution is to network a TiVO-HD to your PC. The TiVO makes basic recording and viewing easier than your Pioneer, but when you want to edit you need to send the files to your PC and learn to do it there.

If you've already ordered the AverTV card, your best bet is to search for threads about it in the dedicated HTPC and HDTV Recorder subforums here on AVS, or create your own thread there asking for tips on how to use the AverTV. The "after dvd/hdd recorders are gone" sticky here in the DVD recorder forum is not nearly as helpful as going directly to the source: start visiting the AVS HTPC forums for current, daily-updated info from experts who have long since been using the products. The DVD recorder forum is no longer regularly read or contributed to by those who have moved on to PC recording solutions, so the "sticky" here is about as useful as wings on a pig.

Ask about the AverTV in the HTPC forums, thats the whole point of HAVING dedicated specific forums on AVS.smile.gif

You're "graduating" from your Pioneer DVR to a PC. That's like going from kindergarten to middle school in a single step. So you can't expect to find the best info if you never leave the kindergarten classroom. There are nice people in HTPC forum who will be happy to share their knowledge with you. Good luck with your new system!
post #4 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

confused.gif

CitiBear has appareently not read pg. 1 of that "Options" forum where the links to the HD/HTPC forums and more are listed as the first place to go for more detailed info.

So, I'd say it's probably "OK" for you to look in on that thread?

smile.gif

post #5 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post

I want to record in HD. What do I need? Windows or Linux? Wich application to best mimic DVD/HDD Recorders EDIT capabilities?
My capture card will be this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQE1O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A18AIDRTGXK5OR
Yeeesh.

If you expect to get an intelligent answer, try spending the time to construct an intelligent question with enough information to allow people to understand what you actually want to do.

That Aver Media card you cited as your intended purchase is an analog video capture card not a tuner. You plug the component output from your cable box into it and use the supplied software (Windows based) to capture the output from the box. I believe you need their software because the card does not have a hardware encoder on it and does everything in software on the PC. So the PC has to have some power to it.

Is this what you want to do? Heck if I know.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

You're "graduating" from your Pioneer DVR to a PC. That's like going from kindergarten to middle school in a single step. So you can't expect to find the best info if you never leave the kindergarten classroom. There are nice people in HTPC forum who will be happy to share their knowledge with you. Good luck with your new system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

confused.gif

]So, I'd say it's probably "OK" for you to look in on that thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Is this what you want to do? Heck if I know.

Heres the complete question, out of curiosity. I had this posted on a HTPC forum but no one replied. I have been posting there for the past year regarding hardware, but when it comes to software, specially to mimic DVD Recorders, no one has too much experience. Apparently people in the HTPC world dont record tv shows. Here goes:

I'm building a HTPC in order to record and watch HDTV content. Basically, its a computer to replace my current Pioneer DVD Recorder, wich only records in SD. I want to record HD. In my country, Im getting HDTV content trough cable box. The cable box has both HDMI and Component outputs. HDTV content in my country is only 720P or 1080i, so I have no need to capture 1080P. BTW, its NTSC

Im putting a blu-ray optical drive, so I can backup the TV shows to Blu-ray.

I also want to edit the TV shows, exclude comercials and non important scenes. Im used to doing that on a DVD/HDD Recorder. Maximum picture quality is a must for me.

I already have a Moneual 320s case. Link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811280022&Tpk=moneual%20320s

This was my case of choice based on external design. It is low-profile and comes with a Remote, aparently compatible with Windows 7.

Im also in doubt regarding wich applications I should use to both record and edit the TV Shows. Again, picture quality is a must, I want no loss in quality. I heard there is a Linux version specific for this purpuse of HDTV capture. In adition, I already have a Windows retail version, so Im open to both Windows and Linux solutions.

So, I will list below my questions:

1) Wich capture card should I get? It has to be low-profile. At the moment, After comparing Avermedia, Haupagge and Blackmagic sollutuions, I believe the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR is the right choice for me, but I would like confirmations that it can do what I hope of the card.

2)Wich application should I use to record the content?

3)Wich application should I use to edit the content? One last time, I want picture quality to maximum!
post #7 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

I'm building a HTPC in order to record and watch HDTV content . . . In my country, Im getting HDTV content trough cable box. The cable box has both HDMI and Component outputs. HDTV content in my country is only 720P or 1080i, so I have no need to capture 1080P. BTW, its NTSC
The first choice method would be to forget the Avermedia card and buy a cable-card capable PC tuner and use that directly with your cable. You would then use Windows Media Center on your PC and have a PC based DVR for guide-based recording and playback. But when you say "In my country" I have to assume you mean not the USA, in which case I don't know if your cable systems support cable card or not.

Assuming they don't and you have to use a STB, forget about the Avermedia, get a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212. The 1212 is an external USB connected box with hardware H.264 encoder -- you feed it the HD component signal from your STB. It has an IR blaster to control your cable STB so you can use their software to schedule recordings -- the IR blaster will change the channels on the STB. I don't know if it will interface with WMC or not. Check out their site and contact them to see which DVR software it will interface with. Otherwise you could just use VLC media player to play your captures.

As far as editing HDTV captures, Video Redo TV Suite H.264 is one of the best. I've been using it for a while now and wouldn't bother with anything else.

As far as burning to disk, you will be burning to BD-R -- don't waste your time even thinking about burning HDTV to DVD-R. Authoring to BD-R can be incredibly simple if you are willing to live with bare-bones menu list, or a lot harder learning curve if you want fancy menus with motion thumbnails etc.

As far as
Quote:
picture quality is a must, I want no loss in quality
You can only have that if you use a tuner card and capture the original digital transport stream. Anything coming out of the analog component outputs of an STB is already degraded HD which has to then be re-digitized and encoded by the capture device. You choose the bitrate for that encoding. It will never match the quality of the original digital transport stream.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The first choice method would be to forget the Avermedia card and buy a cable-card capable PC tuner and use that directly with your cable. You would then use Windows Media Center on your PC and have a PC based DVR for guide-based recording and playback. But when you say "In my country" I have to assume you mean not the USA

Im a newbie in this area. Moreover, the nomenclatures are non existing to my language, as this technology is non existing here, so I have to calculate what you are saying. BTW, Im in Brasil.

Honestly, I believe my only option is line-in capture HDMI/component capture, as this channels in HD are only available in my cable box STB and not OTA.

Were you recommending me connecting the actual cable directly to the HTPC? Well, how will the HTPC understand the signal? I need my STB to do that right? I don't believe my cable company provides a software to do so…..or is this a universal thingy? How can I find out?

Regarding the HD PVR 1212, it wont suit my needs. My cable stb already has a HArd Drive in it, so Timeshifting is done directly with my cable box. I need a HTPC to Edit and burn the edited titles to Blu-ray. So I want to go from cable box directly to HTPC. My current setup is STB to DVD/HDD Recorder.

Yes, Im burning them to BD, Im fine with creating Menus, I got the time.

Regarding picture quality, I want to see if I keep the loss to a minimum, and Im more worried about the editing software.

But in the subject of capture, Im going with HDMI (not copy protected here) and even component is already an upgrade from my current S-video 480P setup.

To conclude, whats youropinion on USB Tuners over the Air? I have one for PC from Kworld and another one for Mac from Avermedia. Nevertheless, I need the line in capture, as there are only 4 OTA channels in Brasil, all the other 50 channels in HD are in my STB only.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Im a newbie in this area. Moreover, the nomenclatures are non existing to my language, as this technology is non existing here, so I have to calculate what you are saying. BTW, Im in Brasil.

(...)

But in the subject of capture, Im going with HDMI (not copy protected here) and even component is already an upgrade from my current S-video 480P setup.

To conclude, whats youropinion on USB Tuners over the Air? I have one for PC from Kworld and another one for Mac from Avermedia. Nevertheless, I need the line in capture, as there are only 4 OTA channels in Brasil, all the other 50 channels in HD are in my STB only.

Very interesting, if you are in Brazil, and you really need to record HD from the outputs of a HDMI cablebox, I suggest you to check this thread. Maybe that's what you need.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Very interesting, if you are in Brazil, and you really need to record HD from the outputs of a HDMI cablebox, I suggest you to check this thread. Maybe that's what you need.

I dont see how this thread helps. Its a thread about ta HDD recorder, and it has nothing to do with Brasil, its a universal thread. Regarding this Recorder, I already knew about it, but I dont like its design. Moreover, its in Chinese!! And to conlclude, importing would be very dificult and expensive.

thats why Im building my HTPC, so far, I would probably use Avermedia software to capture, and Cyberlink PowerDirector to make edits
post #11 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It also works in English, but more important, I assumed that will be easy/cheap import that machine to Brazil, because your TV system was DTMB (Not). My apologies.

BTW, if you really want HDMI input, you can get the Hauppauge Colossus -- which only works with non-HDCP source.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

It also works in English, but more important, I assumed that will be easy/cheap import that machine to Brazil, because your TV system was DTMB (Not). My apologies.
BTW, if you really want HDMI input, you can get the Hauppauge Colossus -- which only works with non-HDCP source.

The Avermedia apparently is the same card as the hayppauge colossus, but on a low profile, I need that to match my case. But thanks.

Regarding Brasil, the problem is not the TV system, but the politics regarding taxation etc...its a mafia. They overtax and sometimes when its a rare item, they steal it from you. You never get the item.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page