Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD optical drive replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
My first post and just looking for answers. I know this is an old unit but because it has built in TVGaurdian it is useful and irreplaceable to me. Quite simply the DVDR will not read any disc. It attempts up to three times then quits. My question is; Is there a replacement DVDR I can swap in. I've had it completely apart and even changed the optical unit, but seems to be incompatible with the tray version or something even though the part numbers are the same.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll post the pic of the optic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This recorder was very popular with the "Dr. Frankensteins" here on AVS years ago specifically because it was not locked down in proprietary parts like most other such recorders. It was confirmed by multiple owners that the DRM-2001G would pretty much accept any random generic DVD burner or HDD, as long as it had EIDE connections. When EIDE drives became scarce, several owners tried using little EIDE>SATA adapter plugs to connect modern SATA drives to the Polaroids' EIDE motherboard sockets, and that was also successful. So I would assume any decent PC burner with EIDE connection should work in your Polaroid, as long as it fits into the space occupied by the original burner. IOW, you can probably just disconnect the power and data cables from your dead Polaroid burner, remove it from the chassis, and replace it with a completely different burner.

This ability to use off-the-shelf generic replacement drives was a huge advantage to this Polaroid, which otherwise was not that appealing due to various quality control issues at the factory leading to random breakdowns and widely varying video performance among each recorder sold. If you got a good one, you loved it, if you got one that sucked, you threw it against a wall in frustration. Since you apparently got a "good" one, try swapping in a replacement burner: it should work to get you up and running again. There is a possibility it won't work: there were several slightly different versions of this same recorder, and some were reported not to accept generic replacement burners. But most owners succeed with DIY drive replacement: it can't hurt to try.

There was one member here (nextoo) who really went to town on his Polaroid, reconfiguring it to work with an external PC drive bay that held swappable hard drives and burners. I believe he recommended the Sony EIDE burners of the time as being perfectly compatible with his Polaroid. For detailed info on his experiments, see this old thread.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. My wife is getting tired of it laying in a pile in the corner. Is it Possible to still get a Sony EIDE DVDR? Joe
post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Some burner models you can look for that should be compatible with the Polaroid were:

Sony DRU840A
Sony Optiarc AD-7190A
Pioneer DVR-710 aka DVR-111
Samsung SH-S222A

and others by NEC, LG, etc: whatever you can find in good condition for a good price.

Note the burner you try must be EIDE connection, not the current SATA. Many brands sold the same burner model in both versions, so make sure to read the label carefully or check that the connectors on the drive look like this one.

Unfortunately there are few to no brand new EIDE burners being sold by the mfrs anymore: the whole world has moved on to SATA. Which is a big problem to those with perfectly good older gear that just needs a new burner or HDD. Some of the prices being asked on Amazon and eBay are ridiculous ($50 to $70 for a second-hand EIDE) considering new SATA burners are available at any Staples for $25 or less. You might get a better deal from a local computer repair shop.

If all else fails, and you can afford a new recorder, the Magnavox MDR533 at WalMart is a good deal at $228 including DVD, 320GB HDD, up-to-date digital tuner and HDMI connection for the newer televisions.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Some burner models you can look for that should be compatible with the Polaroid were:
Sony DRU840A
Sony Optiarc AD-7190A
Pioneer DVR-710 aka DVR-111
Samsung SH-S222A
and others by NEC, LG, etc: whatever you can find in good condition for a good price.
Note the burner you try must be EIDE connection, not the current SATA. Many brands sold the same burner model in both versions, so make sure to read the label carefully or check that the connectors on the drive look like this one.
Unfortunately there are few to no brand new EIDE burners being sold by the mfrs anymore: the whole world has moved on to SATA. Which is a big problem to those with perfectly good older gear that just needs a new burner or HDD. Some of the prices being asked on Amazon and eBay are ridiculous ($50 to $70 for a second-hand EIDE) considering new SATA burners are available at any Staples for $25 or less. You might get a better deal from a local computer repair shop.
If all else fails, and you can afford a new recorder, the Magnavox MDR533 at WalMart is a good deal at $228 including DVD, 320GB HDD, up-to-date digital tuner and HDMI connection for the newer televisions.

Thanks,
I have tried a few other burners I had around, but they didn't work. Then I read through the thread about setting the region on a computer first. I'll have to go back and try that. My reasons for wanting to "revive" this unit is because it's "one of a kind" in that it has built in TV Guardian which is priceless for censoring language for kids. But the many other features I found out about by reading the threads is awesome info. Now I know what you meant by a "Frankenstein" machine. Which is again great info. I love tinkering, modding, hacking and running alternate firmware too!

Thx
joe
post #6 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You might also experiment with the termination pins on the back of the replacement burners. Burners in recorders generally have either no pins connected, or have a little plug activating the "Master" or "Cable Select" position. Take a look at the back of the original Polaroid burner and copy whatever the setup is there.

Another trick would be temporarily connecting the Polaroid burner to the internal EIDE bay of a PC: Windows or free software like IMGburn should display exactly what brand and model the burner really is (which may not be obvious from the label on it). Perhaps if you found the same burner or a close match, you'd increase your chances of success.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Citibear,
Thx for your help here. Just to report back, I finally got it up and running using a Sony standalone DRX-840U. I think it had to do with the region setting. I had to load a DVD in the external drive while connected to a computer and set the region first. After that, it worked fine! Couldn't have done it without you pointing me to that old thread. My kids were finally able to watch "Avengers" with TV Guardian filtering some language. It was worth the effort!

Thanks,

Joe
post #8 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad you were able to fix it, Joel! smile.gif

Yes, our friend "Nextoo" posted a ton of valuable info some years ago, covering a variety of recorders. Good thing it remains in the AVS archives, you never know when someone will need help with an older unit.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 PM

I am looking for a replacement DVD drive for my Polaroid DRM-2001G. The one I have has stopped working in burning. I tried another one but it skipped segments of video on the burned DVD. I have read that SONY is a good drive. But am having a hard time locating the models that you have recommended. I am looking to modify my unit based on the ideas from here.

Thank you for all the hard work that has been place in finding all the parts needed to make it work.

Jim
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page