Toshiba DR420 or 430? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that one has a tuner and the other does not. I don't use the tuner anyway because I have a Comcast DVR, but I read reviews of both and I want to know what you folks think. I have three Panasonics, an EZ18 that I use and a dmr 20 and a dmr 15. With the supply of recorders with an HDMI output somewhat less and they are getting more expensive, I want to buy something now. What is your opinon of either Toshiba? I did a search here but I did not find something current to answer that. I am quite happy with the Panasonic, but they are hard to find unless your budget is a lot higher than mine right now.
Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjo4 View Post

I know that one has a tuner and the other does not. I don't use the tuner anyway because I have a Comcast DVR, but I read reviews of both and I want to know what you folks think. I have three Panasonics, an EZ18 that I use and a dmr 20 and a dmr 15. With the supply of recorders with an HDMI output somewhat less and they are getting more expensive, I want to buy something now. What is your opinon of either Toshiba? I did a search here but I did not find something current to answer that. I am quite happy with the Panasonic, but they are hard to find unless your budget is a lot higher than mine right now.
Thanks, John

Did you replace the bad capacitor in your DMR-ES25?

I'm still using my 2006 DMR-ES25 and a 2009 DMR-EA18 for daily recording, great workhorse recorders. And I'm using one of my six 2006 DMR-ES35 recorders, another great workhorse recorder. It's about time for me to rotate in one of the other DMR-ES35 recprders so that the one I'm using daily will have a rest. I'm also using two 2005 DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD recorders almost daily, again great workhorse recorders. And I've got six Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders, models 2080, 2160, 2160A (2) and 515 (2) models, set up for daily use.

I also have two Funai manufactured Toshiba recorders set aside as standby recorders. I don't use the Toshiba recorders because they lack important features found on other Funai manufactured recorders (Philips and Magnavox). Other Funai brands (Sylvania, Emerson and TruTech) also lack important features.

My advice to you is still the same as it was back in 2010:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256339/panasonic-dmr-es25-vs-ea18/0_60#post_18772010

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256339/panasonic-dmr-es25-vs-ea18/0_60#post_18774714

It's time to move up to a Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder. The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning these outstanding recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)