Panasonic DVD Recorders: Cost of Repairing? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 902
PM sent

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Mick,

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder model # DMR-EZ485V that plays discs but no longer records.

Could you pls contact me to possibly repair the machine?

Thank you.
post #63 of 82 Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MickinCT,

I have a DMR-E80H that will read DVD's but will not read a blank DVD so that I can record to it. Is this something that you can fix? Is so, could you please contact me?

Thanks!

post #64 of 82 Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
I would like to ask if anyone has used Tom's TV Repair in Colorado Springs to repair their Panasonic DVD recorder?

He lists refurbished DVD drives for these models: DMR-EZ48v, DMR-EZ485V, DMR-EZ28, DMR-EZ27,and DMR-EZ475.

He also has a repair service in which he attempts to fix your defective drive.

Thanks in advance.
post #65 of 82 Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Interesting info, never have done business with them but Thx for posting.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #66 of 82 Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post
Interesting info, never have done business with them but Thx for posting.
Glad to share this information. I'm not yet allowed to post URLs yet. Tom's TV repair is also on Ebay. Use these search terms: "DVD drive for Panasonic DMR-EZ48v,485V, 47,475,28,27 REPAIR SERVICE"

I'm hoping someone has experience with this company as I'm considering them for my recent Panasonic DVD recorder, which no longer reads discs.

Thanks in advance.
post #67 of 82 Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mike is the best! He repaired my DMR-E500H and it has worked flawlessly, plus he a nice, honest guy who knows his stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
I recently sent in a Panasonic EZ475V to Panasonic's McAllen Repair Center. I had called Panasonic, asked for "repairs", and got a recording. All the recording gave wasnthe McAllen address-- no mention of cost. I had read here awhile back that a repaired or refurbished one would be $125, which was fine.

A week after sending it in, I got a call from McAllen saying it would cost $255, and that $45 was already non-refundable due to diagnostic testing. This isn't fine, since I used to pay $250 or less for brand new ones! I'd prefer to just buy a new one, but obviosly I can't, because they've stopped making them!

Is $255 really the new cost for repairs/ refurbs? Are there any cheaper repair/ refurb alternatives now or in the future?

Also, if I can find another brand of DVD recorder to buy, will it play my old DVD-R DVDs that had been recorded on my Panas?
post #68 of 82 Old 03-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw1234 View Post
MickinCT,

I have a DMR-E80H that will read DVD's but will not read a blank DVD so that I can record to it. Is this something that you can fix? Is so, could you please contact me?

Thanks!
I had a similar problems with my DMR-E500H and it turned out to be defective, blank DVD's.
post #69 of 82 Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Google brought me here for assistance with my Panasonic dmr-eh75v and in particular mickinct. I am brand new, just signed up so I can't pm.

I get the can't read/no disc messages. Thanks google for bringing me here.
post #70 of 82 Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM

I just tried to pm and unless I am imagining, looks like it might have gone through. ?
post #71 of 82 Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Sent PM to member....

MickinCT
post #72 of 82 Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Update on my Panasonic DVR. MickinCT did a great job fixing it. It works fine.
My only problem is that while the DVR was out of commission Xfinity came in to do some upgrade for my wife they took my box and left me the new X1 box. This X1 box won't allow recording on third party DVR's. I can record on the X1 box but when that gets full I have to delete something and I am not able to copy a show to a DVD. I haven't tried copying a VHS tape to DVD but that should work as it doesn't require a cable connection.
I want my old Xfinity box back!
post #73 of 82 Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The X1 box looks to have composite video and analog audio outputs. Just connect them to the line inputs on your DVD recorder and play back a program from the X1 to the Panasonic. This is what I do with my DirecTV DVR and it works fine.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #74 of 82 Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
The X1 box looks to have composite video and analog audio outputs. Just connect them to the line inputs on your DVD recorder and play back a program from the X1 to the Panasonic. This is what I do with my DirecTV DVR and it works fine.
I don't know for sure but wasn't it Comcast/Xfinity that disables composite output when using HDMI? I suppose the OP could pull the HDMI plug out of the X1 box but then I bet they'd get the nag screen on composite telling them to use HDMI
Also note with the X1 box everything is downrezzed to MPEG4 720p(or will be shortly) and for the most part looks like crap. I say for the most part as they haven't messed with the locals yet.....yet!
post #75 of 82 Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I don't know for sure but wasn't it Comcast/Xfinity that disables composite output when using HDMI? I suppose the OP could pull the HDMI plug out of the X1 box but then I bet they'd get the nag screen on composite telling them to use HDMI
Also note with the X1 box everything is downrezzed to MPEG4 720p(or will be shortly) and for the most part looks like crap. I say for the most part as they haven't messed with the locals yet.....yet!

Now that you mention it, I think I remember a discussion about the analog outputs being disabled when an HDMI cable is plugged in. Yes, more nonsense to frustrate rather than serve the customer. Maybe davidgpo should ask for his original box back, the one he had before he was upgraded to uselessness.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #76 of 82 Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Here's an update to my update. I was able to connect the Panasonic DVR to record off of cable. First of all I want to thank mickinct for encouraging me to keep trying.
The quality is Standard resolution, not HD, when recording so when I watch cable in high res I have the HDMI cable connected to the X1 box. To record I have to move the HDMI cable to the Panasonic DVR. When I turn off the DVR I lose the picture and audio so I have to reconnect the HDMI cable back to the X1 box.
I also have to use the red, white and yellow cables, attached from Panasonic DVR to the monitor.

Last edited by davidgpo; 04-24-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #77 of 82 Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MickinCT, please contact me as I don't have enough points apparently to contact you. If someone can give me an email address, that would be great too. Thanks.
post #78 of 82 Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

PM sent thanks.

MickinCT
post #79 of 82 Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
YOU should have got in touch with me.....................
Dear Mickinct,

I saw your past posts about repairing DVD Recorders. I have two Panasonic DVD recorders. Originally, they were purchased through a site that modifies the players to be region free. I'm an American but I'm currently living in Tokyo.

I haven't laid hands on them in well over a year but as I recall, the drives don't want to open or eject. Any assistance is appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Bill
post #80 of 82 Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfergus42 View Post
Dear Mickinct,

I saw your past posts about repairing DVD Recorders. I have two Panasonic DVD recorders. Originally, they were purchased through a site that modifies the players to be region free. I'm an American but I'm currently living in Tokyo.

I haven't laid hands on them in well over a year but as I recall, the drives don't want to open or eject. Any assistance is appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Bill
MODEL numbers?
wfergus42 likes this.

MickinCT
post #81 of 82 Old 05-22-2017, 04:43 AM

The model numbers are Panasonic DMR-E80H and Panasonic DMR-EH68.
post #82 of 82 Old Today, 10:17 AM

To Mickinct,

yet another request for help.I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H which stopped recording and reading discs about a year back. Hard disk functions still work well. Can you please PM a newbie when you have a chance,

much appreciated,
John in Berwyn IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)