Magnavox 515 Dead - Then alive again? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Thanks again to those who helped me find the MDR515 a while back when i was researching. I've gotten a good amount of use out of it.

Couple weeks ago i noticed the display was completely blank. I thought maybe the plug had come out of the wall.. but that wasn't it. It was dead. I tried several different outlets but couldn't get any lights to come on or anything.

I was lazy and didn't call to schedule a service appointment for maybe 2 weeks. I finally get a return-label and i'm about the box up the unit when i figure i better check it one last time. I plug it in... and pow... good as new. I didn't do anything but let it sit for ~2 weeks unplugged. I've recorded to the HD and to DVD in the past 2 days to see if it's "really" working, and it is. So odd.

When no lights came on, i assumed it was a power supply issue. Is there a thermal circuit breaker that takes ~2 weeks to cool down in there? Or maybe it was a loose wire that jiggled back into place When i was getting ready to box it up?

I'm not sure what to do now. I can't see sending it back if it's not showing any symptoms. But i'll be pissed if it happens again in a week and i have to go through the entire service-request process again. I would have cracked it open myself but i bought the 2yr warrantee.... which is NOT like me at all and honestly i don't remember what made me get it. Now if i break any of the factory seals i loose the warrantee.

Are the power supplies notably wonky in these units? Anyone ever see anything similar?

Thanks a lot,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146

First, here's a Soft Reset procedure that should faithfully wake up a dead 513 or 515... no need to send i in for "repair."

Second, here's a help file that explains circumstances that can cause a 513/515 to "freeze" (primarily tuning interference) and some remedies, including installing a Ver02C FW Update (but only if the freezing is constant and recurrent).

lowpolyjoe likes this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great news! Thanks Wajo. I won't bother with the service then.

Glad the forum has people like you who are willing to help others out with a clutch link like that. Thumbs up!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info and sticky Wajo,

I just used the Soft Start procedure to resurrect my 515.