Magnavox 1TB HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner MDR537H/F7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I HAD the 320 GB predecessor to this machine for several years and no problems at all. Huge power surge last night knocked out power to a large area where I live. Now the unit will not even power up.

I wanted to ask about this specific machine--bigger sounds better, but by going to a much larger hard drive, are there any downsides to this machine in recording, playing, longevity, etc.

Thanks very much for any replies and information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Your older 513 and the 515 both exhibited freezing on occasion that can be easily fixed with a Soft Reset, as described here.

The new 53x Series haven't shown a similar problem probably because Funai fixed it... they had already developed a FW update to fix the problem in older units (Ver02C), and I suspect they incorporated the fix in writing the new FW for 53x units. The new tuner seems to be helping as well!

I think you can have high confidence in the new models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 28 Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Liked: 11
If it helps, mine's lasted over a week already! tongue.gif

PS ... new tuner? More features, or just better reception?

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #4 of 28 Old 12-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Swapped a 2tb drive into my 537 and posted the results HERE if anyone's interested ....

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #5 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM

I am considering purchasing this unit and wanted some advice.

If I replace my cable box with this unit, does it have something similar to the cable box 'guide' that shows what is scheduled for each channel (hour by hour)?

thanks
post #6 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnad View Post

I am considering purchasing this unit and wanted some advice.

If I replace my cable box with this unit, does it have something similar to the cable box 'guide' that shows what is scheduled for each channel (hour by hour)?

Before you decide, you need to make sure you can tune your cableco's channels (the ones you must have) WITHOUT the cable box. Only if you can will the Mag "replace" the cable box for tuning, but it still will NOT have a Guide. Setting programs to record requires you knowing when they are on and setting a manual timer, with a menu, for each single- or recurring program you want to record. We do that by consulting our newspaper or online TV listings and setting a whole season for timer recording, making changes only when necessary and we usually just let our machines record even when a show is pre-empted or a re-run, i.e., we don't obsess about letting our very reliable Mags record shows we might not watch.

You can discover what channels are tunable without a box by connecting a HDTV with analog and digital tuners direct to the incomng cable coax and scanning for channels with the TV. Whatever channels the HDTV can tune w/o the box is what you'll get with the Mag.

|
|
|
post #7 of 28 Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM

thanks for the info. As you can tell, I am quite a newbie!

So, according the the manual I found online, I can set this up with my cable box - described on page 19.

Do you have any advice about that? The manual does include a disclaimer that setting it up this way means I can't record one show while watching another.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnad View Post

thanks for the info. As you can tell, I am quite a newbie!

So, according the the manual I found online, I can set this up with my cable box - described on page 19.

Do you have any advice about that? The manual does include a disclaimer that setting it up this way means I can't record one show while watching another.

Yes, you can use it with a cable box but do NOT set it up per pg 19... as you said, that makes it a single-channel "slave" to the box.

Instead, connect as shown and described in Sketch 3 here.

Lots more detailed info in the help files listed on Page 1 of this thread.

|
|
|
post #9 of 28 Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM

yeah,good info,according the the manual I found online, I can set this up with my cable box - described on page 19.2.gif
post #10 of 28 Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM

thx.
The unit is on order. We will see if I am successful
post #11 of 28 Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does the MDR537H pass HD to the HDMI output from the built in tuner? An older thread seemed to indicate that the ATSC tuner was downconverted. Please help unravel this. Thanks!
post #12 of 28 Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymoose View Post

Does the MDR537H pass HD to the HDMI output from the built in tuner? An older thread seemed to indicate that the ATSC tuner was downconverted. Please help unravel this. Thanks!

What gets downconverted is the HD signal coming from the recorder's tuner TO THE RECORDER.

The Maggies only record in Standard Def.

What passes thru the Maggie on to your TV (thru the coaxial) is just an RF signal with all the HD info intact.

You can't change an HD television signal to SD. Not while it's still in TV signal form.

Once you've decoded it into picture and sound, you can do all sorts of things, but not while you're just relaying the signal itself.

What comes out of the recorder on its HDMI output is the down-rezzed SD signal...if I understand right, upconverted to faux HD.

Side point-

This is sort of a redundant thread, and you might do better going to the longer thread that's been covering these machines since they were being made with the Philips name.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/23010
post #13 of 28 Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What comes out of the recorder on its HDMI output is the down-rezzed SD signal...if I understand right, upconverted to faux HD.

Yes, I know it only records SD, but I was hoping that I could use it as an HD tuner, passing HD to the HDMI when only tuning a channel, not playing HDD or DVD. Any idea on that? Thanks!

(Sorry for the duplicate thread - me-noobie!)
post #14 of 28 Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymoose View Post

Yes, I know it only records SD, but I was hoping that I could use it as an HD tuner, passing HD to the HDMI when only tuning a channel, not playing HDD or DVD. Any idea on that? Thanks!

(Sorry for the duplicate thread - me-noobie!)

Ummm...

Not to be rude, but did you even read my reply?

As explained above, what comes out of the recorder on all outputs is SD. Even the HDMI output is up-rezzed SD.

The only HD you can get out of this machine is when it allows an RF signal to pass thru it (amped, no less) and into another device with a TV tuner. The second device's tuner can produce HD...if it's meant to (and if HD is there)...from that RF signal.

Anything tuned by the Maggie TV tuner is down-rezzed to SD, and that's what comes out of the machine on all Audio/Video outputs, including HDMI.

By the way, according to the forum system, you're anything but a newbie. You joined here nearly seven years ago.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM

I bought a 1 TB Magnavox HDD MDR537H and I am satisfied with the recording functions. Where I have problems is with information entering and then retrieval to locate the correct recording. 1 TB is a lot of capacity, and the unit can accommodate upto 999 titles, with each title containing upto 99 chapter marks.

1. But a title identifier is limited to 30 characters, far too few with a universe of a 1,000 titles -- it reminds me of the early days in word processing where a file label had a similar limit so you got a large number of cryptic and rapidly incomprehensible file labels, before the limit was eliminated first by Apple and then the others, allowing more descriptive labels to be entered.

2. Entering the title label means using the alpha function on the remote keys (e.g. 2 corresponds to ABC, etc), which is tedious even with a 30 character limit on the title (with problems per 1 above) and impossible with more characters. Some type of keyboard function is required: either a link to a laptop, or a separate physical keyboard or an on-screen keyboard with a mouse type entry possibility.

3. Neither can the chapter marks be labelled, which would help too in identifying why that chapter justifies its separate existence.

4. And, finally, to trawl through 161 screens @ 6 titles per screen to locate a particular title, all with cryptic abbreviated labels, seems both tedious, clumsy and perhaps just downright impossible.

I wanted to send these comments to Magnavox, but they have only a toll free number and a website with email functionality deliberately disabled. Do you think Magnavox reads this forum and reacts?

Best wishes

NK
post #16 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Final (!!) comments:

5. Like the files on a PC, it should be possible to organise the free standing titles into "books" or "folders" in a tree/root and branch structure which makes sense in the context of the file contents, e.g. all files pertaining to a particular subject, etc.

6. While it possible to split titles into 2 or more new titles, would it be possible to merge 2 or more existing titles into a single new one?

Thanks.

NK
post #17 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkibe View Post

4. And, finally, to trawl through 161 screens @ 6 titles per screen to locate a particular title, all with cryptic abbreviated labels, seems both tedious, clumsy and perhaps just downright impossible.

5. Like the files on a PC, it should be possible to organise the free standing titles into "books" or "folders" in a tree/root and branch structure which makes sense in the context of the file contents, e.g. all files pertaining to a particular subject, etc.

6. While it possible to split titles into 2 or more new titles, would it be possible to merge 2 or more existing titles into a single new one?

I wanted to send these comments to Magnavox, but they have only a toll free number and a website with email functionality deliberately disabled. Do you think Magnavox reads this forum and reacts?

4. You can go from page to page in the title list with the NEXT and PREV buttons.

5. This has been on our "Wish Lists" for several years. Wish List #1.  Wish List #2.

6. Can't combine titles (but it's on our Wish List).

Odds are slim to none that anything new will be implemented since Funai has reassigned their DVD recorder personnel and resources (again)..

|
|
|
post #18 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I bought a 1 TB Magnavox HDD MDR537H and I am satisfied with the recording functions. Where I have problems is with information entering and then retrieval to locate the correct recording. 1 TB is a lot of capacity, and the unit can accommodate upto 999 titles, with each title containing upto 99 chapter marks.

1. But a title identifier is limited to 30 characters, far too few with a universe of a 1,000 titles -- it reminds me of the early days in word processing where a file label had a similar limit so you got a large number of cryptic and rapidly incomprehensible file labels, before the limit was eliminated first by Apple and then the others, allowing more descriptive labels to be entered.

2. Entering the title label means using the alpha function on the remote keys (e.g. 2 corresponds to ABC, etc), which is tedious even with a 30 character limit on the title (with problems per 1 above) and impossible with more characters. Some type of keyboard function is required: either a link to a laptop, or a separate physical keyboard or an on-screen keyboard with a mouse type entry possibility.

3. Neither can the chapter marks be labelled, which would help too in identifying why that chapter justifies its separate existence.

Best wishes

NK

"Magnavox" is just a brand name for these Funai manufactured recorders (originally designed by Philips) so contacting "Magnavox" will be a waste of your time and effort.

Your concerns are discussed from time to time in Wajo's sticky thread. That thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning these "Magnavox" HDD/DVD Recorders.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

These "Magnavox" recorders are made to sell for less than $300 USD. Now, to have a product with the features you want would result in a much more expensive product. Since these "Magnavox" recorders are already a niche market product the prospect for building and selling a more expensive version seems unlikely.

My "Magnavox" HDD/DVD recorders (currently six set up for daily use) are often carrying more than 300 titles on their hard drives. For my purposes I find it useful to have a piece of paper and a pencil or pen to jot down information such as recording date and title duration as the primary locater for a given title. The title number is of little importance when other titles are deleted as that changes the title numbering.

I guess that means that I'm not part of the "tech generation."

Did you know that in the "old days" before electricity folks had to watch TV by candlelight?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #19 of 28 Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks to Wajo and DigaDo for their most informative and helpful replies: I should have known that my concerns had been raised much earlier.

Just as an aside, I do keep a paper and pen copy -- actually an Excel spreadsheet -- of the contents of the HDD. So I do have a more descriptive label than the 30 character limited one on screen, but this arrangement is clumsy. I am aware of the screen forward/back functions, but to access 1000 titles at 6 per screen, means hitting the screen f/b button 161 times -- no getting away from that.

Such a pity that the labelling and retrieval issues were not addressed at the design stage, but then I take the point of this being a product designed to a low price point.

Best

NK
post #20 of 28 Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks to Wajo and DigaDo for their most informative and helpful replies: I should have known that my concerns had been raised much earlier.

Just as an aside, I do keep a paper and pen copy -- actually an Excel spreadsheet -- of the contents of the HDD. So I do have a more descriptive label than the 30 character limited one on screen, but this arrangement is clumsy. I am aware of the screen forward/back functions, but to access 1000 titles at 6 per screen, means hitting the screen f/b button 161 times -- no getting away from that.

Such a pity that the labelling and retrieval issues were not addressed at the design stage, but then I take the point of this being a product designed to a low price point.

If you keep any record of titles that lists them by number, you can instantly play specific titles (and even Chapters) without ANY searching at all using the Display menu, as described here. Same for music CDs.

|
|
|
post #21 of 28 Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Thank you, maestro, but where? I have trawled through a lot of stuff through the hyper link you gave, but can't seem to find what you suggested. If possible, could you copy and paste it in your reply? Much appreciated.

NK
post #22 of 28 Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you, maestro, but where? I have trawled through a lot of stuff through the hyper link you gave, but can't seem to find what you suggested. If possible, could you copy and paste it in your reply? Much appreciated.

You don't have to travel anywhere. Click on that link again and look under the 1st pic on that page, no scrolling needed. Sentence starts with "To play a specific Title, ...."

|
|
|
post #23 of 28 Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Installed a Magnavox 537 last week. LOVE IT except for one small problem. As suggested before buying I attached the cable directly to our TV and scaned for channels. Found the channels we watch 90% of the time. With the Mag there is one channel (that we watch and would like to record every day) that is not found. On the TV there are a group of channels between 202.1 and 266.1. Most of them are deplicates of other numbers (202.1 is the same as 2.1). The one I am missing is not duplicated on the TV. Any suggestions as to how I can add this channel?
post #24 of 28 Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxws43 View Post

Installed a Magnavox 537 last week. LOVE IT except for one small problem. As suggested before buying I attached the cable directly to our TV and scaned for channels. Found the channels we watch 90% of the time. With the Mag there is one channel (that we watch and would like to record every day) that is not found. On the TV there are a group of channels between 202.1 and 266.1. Most of them are deplicates of other numbers (202.1 is the same as 2.1). The one I am missing is not duplicated on the TV. Any suggestions as to how I can add this channel?

Oftentimes, repeating the Auto Channel Preset  brings in "problem" channels... on my older units, I've had to do as many as 3 repeat scans.

Also, see if there's a pattern to the cableco's channel assignment numbering, suggested to me by your 202.1 showing up as 2.1 on the Mag. My cableco also does some "matching" with its higher-numbered channels. If the end numbers suggest a channel within the Mag's 125/135 channel range, try entering that channel manually with a Manual Channel Preset.

Finally, use the resources linked in this help file section to track down the staton call sign and what virtual/physical channel numbers for that station. Add/delete virtual/physical channels mentioned in those resources to find the combination that works for that channel.

|
|
|
post #25 of 28 Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Please excuse me if this question has been addressed some where else.
My 515 has lost it's tuner. (stations blank and tried re scanning and setting manualy. Only get one grainy analog)
Anyway, instead of fixing it, I thought I would just get a 537 with the larger drive.
My question, is; Besides, the drive size, is there any difference in the operation or features? is the remote different?
Also, will I be able to manipulate un-finalized dvd's recorded on the 515? (add or delete stuff on a +RW or +R).
Thanks, Mark.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygar77 View Post

Please excuse me if this question has been addressed some where else.
My 515 has lost it's tuner. (stations blank and tried re scanning and setting manualy. Only get one grainy analog)
Anyway, instead of fixing it, I thought I would just get a 537 with the larger drive.
My question, is; Besides, the drive size, is there any difference in the operation or features? is the remote different?
Also, will I be able to manipulate un-finalized dvd's recorded on the 515? (add or delete stuff on a +RW or +R).
Thanks, Mark.

The 533/535/537 remote is the same as the 515 remote, same ops in both, incl. R/RW DVD usage.

Before giving up on the 515 if you have cable TV: (1) toggle from one tuner (TV/DTV) to the other to make sure it's not temporary, then (2) make sure the cableco hasn't begun scrambling all its channels. Connect incoming cable directly to a HDTV (with analog and digital tuners), scan for channels and see if any show up in the TV. If same as the 515, your 537 would act the same way. 

|
|
|
post #27 of 28 Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 AM

No I do not have cable. I live far in the country. I dumped the dish also because it cost too much for the very few channels I watched and found I can get
pretty much everything on premium channels at the library eventuraly. I borrowed my mother's 515 and hooked it up to my antenna and it works fine.
My tuner is just shot... I do need answers to my main question of is the new 537 basicaly the same as the 515 in operation and features.
Can I add and edit non finalized disks from my old 515 on the 537 and visa versa?
I will keep my old 515 for the spare room and probly use it for dubbing family stuff. MES.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

The 537 has a new tuner (new model/supplier) since the supplier stopped making that model. Some notice a difference for the better.

Unfinalized 515 DVD-R/+R, finalized/unfinalized -RW, and +RW discs should be usable in the 537. Normally. discs from any Mag HDD/DVDR can be interchanged between models, and even the predecessor Philips discs can be interchanged if you turn Recording > Make Recording Compatible (MRC) on, as described here.

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page