dvr that allows transfer from int HDD to another HDD (w/o having to burn to dvd)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks in advance to any help on this and apologies if there's already a thread on this.

I own the mdr 513h and love it but am hoping to find a machine that would allow me to skip the phase of having to burn to dvd just to get the videos out of the machine and onto my hard drives. I know that the filesystem of the 513h is not recognizable by a pc or a mac (so one can't simply extract the internal hd and mount it on a pc and transfer the video_ts's that way).

Any machines out there now (with digital tuner, that record to video_ts or other video file formats) that allow offloading directly to HD or thumbdrive?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Not a DVD recorder, but TiVo will allow you to transfer files recorded on its hard drive to your home network. Strip off the .tivo wrapper and you have a regular mpeg to do with as you please. Not a cheap solution, though, especially if you don't want monthly fees for the service.

That's about the only one I can think of that doesn't burn to a disc first.
szucc likes this.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Nope.

There were a few (VERY few) North American models about six years ago that could network to a PC and transfer their HDD video files in a reasonably convenient manner. But they had analog-only tuners, and were invariably either brands that were not that desirable (LG) or brands that were known to self destruct on the 91st day after purchase (Toshiba). Availability of PC transfer features was a little more common with PAL recorders sold in the European, Australian and NZ markets- but even there, it was not a widespread option. A couple of the top-line Panasonic PAL BluRay recorders had/have USB transfer features, but it tends to be restricted to DiVX files and doesn't really work with the recorder HDD files. Most of these units merely offer the ability to hot-swap external USB storage, with little flexibility: any external thumb drive or HDD is formatted for the recorder OS and is usually "registered" (i.e. locked) to that specific recorder (drives are not "portable" between different units or a PC).

Everybody wants unfettered PC transfer capability, but its rarely been offered: when it has, its always been questionable recorders no one really wanted to buy. We're spoiled now by PC video, so its difficult to remember just a few years ago what a magical marvel the basic DVD/HDD recorder was, compared to direct-on-DVD recorders or VCRs. These things were intended to make DVD libraries, essentially they were a more flexible digital version of the VCR. In order to be sold in the first place, they had to pander to the fears of copyright holders, so direct file transfer to PCs was intentionally left out. They knew they couldn't stop you from ripping your burned DVDs to the internet, but gambled most people wouldn't bother with all the converting nonsense: their primary fear was instant uploading of pristine TV shows from recorder to file host sites.

So, no, you won't find this ability in any recent or current NTSC recorder, and if you want a digital ATSC/QAM tuner the only DVD/HDD units available are the Magnavox recorders (actually, they're the only DVD/HDD recorders still marketed in North America, period). DVD/HDD recorders are all but dead as a consumer product, indeed partly because people were frustrated they couldn't do PC transfers. Thats why this AVS DVD recorder forum is getting very, very slow: you either love the Magnavox, or you've moved on to a full-blown PC-based recorder system with total control over files and media (or TiVO>PC combo). There really aren't any other choices, and haven't been since the ATSC tuner regulations went into effect in late 2006.
szucc likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. Extremely helpful and gives me the info i need. Much appreciated

Looks like I'll need to stay the course for now with the MDR513H.

It's a bit of a shocker to see the price of these Magnavoxes shooting up on ebay (used ones going for well over the original prices). I will hope that mine stays working so I'm not back in the market for these units.

When I spoke with a Magnavox rep last year, he said that he thought the market was headed for file-based units (with offloading capability) and that the next incarnations Magnavox would be making would skip the video_ts (as dvd, he thought, was becoming a thing of the past) in favor of single file formats, for ease of use and compatibility across our various devices. Seems it may be the opposite and that the manufacturers are actually aiming to protect against that.

Thanks again for the rundown and for clueing me in. Hope that something comes along in this evolution that will improve our chances of getting at what we're looking for in a standalone unit. The PC-based solution may be a possibility for me, but for many reasons, at this point, not really feasible.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

See this page for info on the new Magnavox 53x Series, released in Sep 2012. (Updated versions of your 513.) Section 11 has prices and sellers.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by szucc View Post

I own the mdr 513h and love it but am hoping to find a machine that would allow me to skip the phase of having to burn to dvd just to get the videos out of the machine and onto my hard drives . . .
Any machines out there now (with digital tuner, that record to video_ts or other video file formats) that allow offloading directly to HD or thumbdrive?
Thanks in advance
Well, as you have been informed the only answer to that request is TiVo if you only want to consider a stand-alone (and BTW, TiVo is a very good answer). But you do have another choice for an add-on to supplement your 513 that will do the job if you are willing to experiment.

$90 will get you a Silicon Dust HDHR3 which is a dual HDTV tuner (dual ATSC & dual QAM) module. It is network based so you don't have to plug it into a PC slot and can access it from any PC or laptop on your network. Then add some free PC-DVR software like NextPVR and you are in business to record directly to any PC at any time -- it's dual-tuner so you can record two shows at a time. Spend another $25/yr for guide service and you have the ability to set season pass recordings just like a TiVo. So you can schedule your shows to record on your 513 for normal family viewing and schedule the shows you will want to keep and burn with the HDHR3. The HDHR3 captures will be on your PC HDD ready for editing, authoring and burning or just archive them on a HDD.

Only problem is that the HDHR3 will be recording in HiDef, which may spoil you if you start watching those. Otherwise you can always use the editing software to recode them to SD 480i for authoring to DVD.
szucc likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Well, as you have been informed the only answer to that request is TiVo if you only want to consider a stand-alone (and BTW, TiVo is a very good answer). But you do have another choice for an add-on to supplement your 513 that will do the job if you are willing to experiment.
$90 will get you a Silicon Dust HDHR3 which is a dual HDTV tuner (dual ATSC & dual QAM) module. It is network based so you don't have to plug it into a PC slot and can access it from any PC or laptop on your network. Then add some free PC-DVR software like NextPVR and you are in business to record directly to any PC at any time -- it's dual-tuner so you can record two shows at a time. Spend another $25/yr for guide service and you have the ability to set season pass recordings just like a TiVo. So you can schedule your shows to record on your 513 for normal family viewing and schedule the shows you will want to keep and burn with the HDHR3. The HDHR3 captures will be on your PC HDD ready for editing, authoring and burning or just archive them on a HDD.
Only problem is that the HDHR3 will be recording in HiDef, which may spoil you if you start watching those. Otherwise you can always use the editing software to recode them to SD 480i for authoring to DVD.
The Tivo and HDHR3 answers aren't for him if he is a satellite customer, which he didn't specify. I guess his mention of a digital tuner means he isn't.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for outlining the HDHR3 concept, Kelson, and for the info on newer versions of the 513, wajo, and dare2be, yes, I'm an over the air digital guy as of now. My network is s bit slow and my mac is a bit bogged down with constant running tasks so it might prove a challenge. But let me look into this.

Huge thanks for all the replies and info.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page