Help with setting up weekday shows. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Mag MDR 515h/F7 for my wife. She has taped soaps in the bedroom tv for years. The VCR quality was poor but it doesn't matter to her. The tapes she used were so old the picture looked scrambled but she was ok with it. The point is quality is not an issue for her. Also we grew up in a time when you set your vcr manually to watch shows, we are used to that though many people have bashed this machine because the cable dvr make it much easier with providing channel and show lineup and from what I have read pretty much one touch recording setup. We also have no cable box for the bed room just a cable from the wall. Again she had no problem with that quality, stretched picture and all. Initially I had a problem with clock setting but someone had a fix for that called the 11:57 procedure. This person had a lot of answers for this machine and I apologize I can't remember who it is because you had a lot of info for this machine. I printed it out then just adjusted the programming time to match the two hour difference and it worked. I will however try this fix latter this morning. All was well for about a week and then she told me her shows stopped taping. I don't know if the machine ran out of space. How do I tell if the HD is full and can't tape any more? Also She asked me last night to tape something. I set the DVR to the channel then turned it on to rec. Two hours later I went back in and turned it off. This morning I looked for what I taped for her last night and didn't find it. was I supposed to save it some how and give it a name? I keep treating this machine as a VCR but it doesn't respond like one. One I get the principle of operation of a device I'm good but I don't understand the operation of this or what I am doing wrong. I have been reading this forum for about a year now because of the new system I put in my house you people are great! You have helped me into the 21st century.I hope
you can help with this machine. I have read the OM till I'm blue in the face but it is not sinking in.
Thanks Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

OH by the way the articles I read were from, "Wajo".
post #3 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

To see if your HDD is full, select the HDD drive, then press the Display button. If the 515 is on a digital channel, ignore the 1st screen and press Display again until there's a bar of icons at top and a Time remaining section in bottom right. That TR section will show how many hours:min of HDD capacity is left at the currently selected rec mode.

If your HDD shows 0 hours:min, you need to Delete titles. I fill one of my machines up all the time (to use all the bits on the HDD), then use the HDD Menu > Delete all titles options. You can also delete one or Multiple titles by clicking the Title button, then click OK on a title and select one of the Delete options.

If your HDD isn't full, let us know since that might require more troubleshooting.

Be aware that, with the 515 or a FW updated 2160A or 513, you can pre-title your wife's timer rec program so each recorded title has not only the index pic, but a title, day of week, date and time, as described here:

post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

The bottom right corner of the screen shows HDD SP 189H02 MIN
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

10281210351.jpg 756k .jpg file
I also read though your info on checking my version , Should I update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10281210351.jpg (755.7 KB, 10 views)
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So the HDD is not full, which means something else is wrong.

Just to be sure, I think you mis-spoke when you said you selected a channel then turned the 515 on since you have to do the reverse?

This time, turn 515 on, set channel, select HDD, press REC button on front of machine, and watch TV pic to see if you get the normal red dot and REC indication for 5-6 sec at beginning. You can then STOP the rec test and see if there's a new title.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckartson View Post

10281210351.jpg 756k .jpg file
I also read though your info on checking my version , Should I update.

Yes, if the 515 were mine, I'd update to 727V.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I did mis write the process. I turned on the machine , set to channel, pressed rec. Then watched it for a moment on the tv. It was the chanel that I wanted. Two hrs latter went back and turned every thing off from remotes. Checked this morn and found nothing resembling what I thought I recorded. I however did nothing last night to save or name the recording and I am wondering if I am supoed to do that to save. I also downloaded the updated and just printed off directions for the update. All this will keep me busy for a few hours on my cold rainy indoor day. Thanks for all your info. Are you a product rep of some sort or just have vast experience with this stuf?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did mis write the process. I turned on the machine , set to channel, pressed rec. Then watched it for a moment on the tv. It was the chanel that I wanted. Two hrs latter went back and turned every thing off from remotes. Checked this morn and found nothing resembling what I thought I recorded. I however did nothing last night to save or name the recording and I am wondering if I am supoed to do that to save. I also downloaded the updated and just printed off directions for the update. All this will keep me busy for a few hours on my cold rainy indoor day. Thanks for all your info. Are you a product rep of some sort or just have vast experience with this stuf?

Not a product rep and never worked for/at or represented any players here.

You need to do that simple REC test detailed above and watch for the red REC dot for 1st 5-6 sec in TV pic.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

. Checked this morn and found nothing resembling what I thought I recorded.

So, you did record something? Sounds like maybe someone changed the channel on the DVR, or maybe you were using the wrong input.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

It is possible. I did the update Sunday and set clock and in put her shows one by one with a title. It is thursday now and the clock has not changed and I just checked it and her shows are there. It is much nicer now with the record titles in place I understand how the menu system works. We had some minor power outages over the week but it did not affect recording. This machine is now working the way I expected it to. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. When it gets close to full do I have to delete rcording in any certain order, can the disk get fraged? Or does it fill in by itself where it needs to keep recording?
post #12 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is possible. I did the update Sunday and set clock and in put her shows one by one with a title. It is thursday now and the clock has not changed and I just checked it and her shows are there. It is much nicer now with the record titles in place I understand how the menu system works. We had some minor power outages over the week but it did not affect recording. This machine is now working the way I expected it to. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. When it gets close to full do I have to delete rcording in any certain order, can the disk get fraged? Or does it fill in by itself where it needs to keep recording?

With the Mag models, you can Delete titles in any order since that will free up large segments of the HDD.

*Best* practice is to watch oldest shows first (logical since they're usually in "serial" order) and Delete after watching.

Pretty "esoteric" and may not be necessary but, once every year or two, it might be a good idea to let the HDD get as full as possible (assuming no massive editing) to keep all the bits "active" on the HDD, as described here.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page