Which dvd recorder best records dvr from direct tv onto DVD without commercials? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1- I am looking to buy a DVD recorder so I can put something recorded off of Directv (which is saved on "my playlist" DVR onto a physical DVD that will play in any DVD player.

2- What DVD recorder can do this? I am confused as to which I should get. One DVD recorded says it doesn't have a TV tuner. The other one says it does but how much do I need it or don't need it for this? One says it has a DVD hard drive and one doesn't . I am not sure what I do and don't need to do this.

3- I also want to edit out the commercials. But the only way I can figure out how to do that is to burn the show in it's entirety onto a DVD then take that DVD and upload it into my computer and use a program to edit out the commercials. But then wont I need two DVD recorders (one also built into my computer) ? And Two DVD's for each show? There has to be a simpler way of doing this. I am also hoping that the DVD recorded will transfer VHS to DVD can anyone help me with this and recommend a DVD recorder as I am confused having never really dealt with DVD recorders before. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob View Post

1- I am looking to buy a DVD recorder so I can put something recorded off of Directv (which is saved on "my playlist" DVR onto a physical DVD that will play in any DVD player.

You can copy your titles recorded on your DVR to a DVD recorder with or without HDD... depends on how much editing you want to do.

Quote:
2- What DVD recorder can do this? I am confused as to which I should get. One DVD recorded says it doesn't have a TV tuner. The other one says it does but how much do I need it or don't need it for this? One says it has a DVD hard drive and one doesn't . I am not sure what I do and don't need to do this.

You don't need a TV tuner if ALL you want to do is copy stuff off a DVR or record from a cable/sat STB and a DVD disc will suffice for playback or saving to your archive. OTOH, if you ALSO want to tune and record channels with the recorder, either from an antenna or cable (with or without a box), a tuner would be reqd. A tuner is not reqd for sat service except if you want the recorder to ALSO be able to record channels separately from an antenna or cable Tv feed, in addition to the sat feed (which only a sat STB can decypher).

Quote:
3- I also want to edit out the commercials. But the only way I can figure out how to do that is to burn the show in it's entirety onto a DVD then take that DVD and upload it into my computer and use a program to edit out the commercials. But then wont I need two DVD recorders (one also built into my computer) ? And Two DVD's for each show? There has to be a simpler way of doing this. I am also hoping that the DVD recorded will transfer VHS to DVD can anyone help me with this and recommend a DVD recorder as I am confused having never really dealt with DVD recorders before. Thank you.

You can do some rudimentary editing on a DVD disc but for more complex stuff, like deleting multiple scenes (commercials), splitting titles, titling, etc., a HDD is so much easier. In fact, most people who initially say they don't need a HDD later say they couldn't do without one!

Only available option today for a recorder with HDD and analog/digital tuners for N.A. is the Magnavox 53x Series, cheapest model $228 (with 320GB HDD). There are some single-disc recorders still available with N.A. tuners but no HDD, as well as international Panasonic EH-59/69 models with more robust editing capabilities but no tuners for N.A. (sold by B&H and others).

post #3 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply. Just to make sure will something like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-500GB-DVR-Recorder-MDR515H/dp/B0058REQNC

^will this let me hook my directv right through the TV tuner in the back of that dvd recorder or will I have to connect it somehow to the TV. I get that it will store the shows on the memory hard drive. Sort of like the way my playlist works for directv . But will it also let me manually edit out commercials? How will it let me do that? Is the only way I can do that is by pausing and rewinding? Or since it is on a hard drive is there a way to usb port it from the hardrive to a computer where I have to edit it out then bring it back to the recorder to make an actual dvd copy? This will burn the shows to an actual DVD right, its not just stored on the hard drive? Sorry, probably a dumb question I just never have done this before and want to be sure I am getting the right one before I shell out hundreds of dollars.
post #4 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you for your quick reply. Just to make sure will something like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-500GB-DVR-Recorder-MDR515H/dp/B0058REQNC

^will this let me hook my directv right through the TV tuner in the back of that dvd recorder or will I have to connect it somehow to the TV. I get that it will store the shows on the memory hard drive. Sort of like the way my playlist works for directv . But will it also let me manually edit out commercials? How will it let me do that? Is the only way I can do that is by pausing and rewinding? Or since it is on a hard drive is there a way to usb port it from the hardrive to a computer where I have to edit it out then bring it back to the recorder to make an actual dvd copy? This will burn the shows to an actual DVD right, its not just stored on the hard drive? Sorry, probably a dumb question I just never have done this before and want to be sure I am getting the right one before I shell out hundreds of dollars.

That model at Amazon, the REFURB'd 515, is a 2010 model and $1 more than the latest NEW model, the 533 (with 320GB HDD), so I'd get the 533 over the 515 in a heartbeat.

I don't know if you mind reading procedures, etc, but I've written all the answers to your questions in the help files indexed here.

If you'd rather I repeat the info here, let me know.

Basically, the 533 (or larger-HDD units 535 and 537) can be purchased most easily from Walmart with easy shipping to store and 90-day no-questions asked return and $28 3-yr extended warranty. See Section 11 in the link I gave above.

You can connect to either the Composite YWR or S-Video+L/R audio in the back or front of the unit. There's a menu selection to choose what type connection, YWR or S-Video. You'd select the Mag input you connected to (L1 or L2), select the Mag's HDD drive, set desired Rec Mode, then start a DVR title playing. Pressing REC on the Mag multiple times (at any time after rec start) sets it for a "manual-timed" recording... each press adds 30-min. to the total time the Mag will record. If you just let it record, it'll go 12 hours in a single title, then shut off. You could also do this direct-to-DVD (DTD) if desired.

Unattended recording for timeshifting purposes of live broadcast shows (for viewing later) is detailed in Section 4.b.

No USB port to transfer Mag titles to a PC, you'd have to copy ("dub") to DVDs and copy into your PC for work there.

Editing on the Mag is in accordance with Section 5.a in the index I linked to above. Once on the HDD, titles can be Divided and Scenes Deleted (like commercials), a custom title can be added, Chapter reset (after auto-chapters are added in recording at the interval you set in advance).

After editing you can copy ("dub") that titles to DVD, as described in Section 6.a. That dub can be in high-speed if it'll fit on the limited space of a DVD, as described in Section 6.b.

Let me know if this all makes sense the way I laid it out.

post #5 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient. As you can tell I am horrible at this and need things black and white. But I am starting to piece it together. I think I will go with the newer model you suggested. Mainly because it is from an actual business (walmart) and not just some seller. That and I can buy a 3-yr warranty. Was that an extra 28 for 3 yr warranty or 28 dollars per year?

I have been looking over your instructions and I can grasp some things, but others I am having trouble with as some of the language I think is for the more advanced.

It seems I can pause live TV to edit out commercials. But that sounds like I have to be there the whole time while it is airing live. That may not be possible for me. I was hoping for something I could just record in it's entirety and then just edit out. I am not sure how I could do this though by dubbing it. Would I need multiple Blank dvd's then? I was hoping to edit it so when i put the dvd in I can have a background picture of what I recorded. And then several small screen shots to click on for the chapters with subtitles for each chapter. And of course the option to play it in it's entirety. If that is unrealistic, I would just settle for the entire show to play on the dvd with the commercials smoothly edited out. By smoothly I just mean that it transfers from when the show breaks (then commercials edited out ) then back without it looking choppy. There usually is a one black screen between the two to do this. I was going to use this program

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

Since this is the only thing I could really find that seemed to edit out commercials. But it all makes me confused. Because I don't know how I would put the show on DVD (dub it ) then put it on the computer (edit commercials out with that program) then put it back in the DVD player and finalize it. I am worried i will need some sort of DVD recorded for my computer as well. If there is a simple way of doing this could you dumb it down for me lol.

P.S.

Found this website which kind of scared me. It says you cannot record Directv dvr to a dvd recorded...but it also in their website so it may be just to discourage it? What do you think?

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11115176

Thank you for your help.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient. As you can tell I am horrible at this and need things black and white. But I am starting to piece it together. I think I will go with the newer model you suggested. Mainly because it is from an actual business (walmart) and not just some seller. That and I can buy a 3-yr warranty. Was that an extra 28 for 3 yr warranty or 28 dollars per year?

I have been looking over your instructions and I can grasp some things, but others I am having trouble with as some of the language I think is for the more advanced.

It seems I can pause live TV to edit out commercials. But that sounds like I have to be there the whole time while it is airing live. That may not be possible for me. I was hoping for something I could just record in it's entirety and then just edit out. I am not sure how I could do this though by dubbing it. Would I need multiple Blank dvd's then? I was hoping to edit it so when i put the dvd in I can have a background picture of what I recorded. And then several small screen shots to click on for the chapters with subtitles for each chapter. And of course the option to play it in it's entirety. If that is unrealistic, I would just settle for the entire show to play on the dvd with the commercials smoothly edited out. By smoothly I just mean that it transfers from when the show breaks (then commercials edited out ) then back without it looking choppy. There usually is a one black screen between the two to do this. I was going to use this program

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

You could Pause a live recording to eliminate commercials but, to me, it's a paincuz you do have to be there AND you have to be "precise" in Pausing and Rec before and after a commercial... if you let parts of commerecials get recorded, you'll have to Edit them out anyway AFTER recording.

Editing after recording is the way to go, using only the Mag... removing commercials is called a "Scene Delete - Mid-Cut" in the editing help file I linked to (Section 5.a).

There will be no index pics at chapter marks, just Chapter marks, which you can autoi-set during recording to any of 6 diff. time intervals,. AFTER recording, you can edit those chapter marks, eliminating them al.l and setting custom marks if desired. On playback, the viewer can press a remote button to go from one chapter to another instantlyh, and the Display menu has an option to do the same.

If you use high-speed dub (HSD) to create a DVD from an edited title, each edit point will have a slight ~1 sec pause (detailed explanation in the help files if interested later). Mo black frames after HSD.

Once created, a DVD with multiple titles will play from Title 1 to Title X automatically, with just a slight pause between end of one title and start of the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob View Post

Since this is the only thing I could really find that seemed to edit out commercials. But it all makes me confused. Because I don't know how I would put the show on DVD (dub it ) then put it on the computer (edit commercials out with that program) then put it back in the DVD player and finalize it. I am worried i will need some sort of DVD recorded for my computer as well. If there is a simple way of doing this could you dumb it down for me lol.

For computer editing after recording, you'll have to copy (dub) the title to a DVD (you can use rewiteable DVDs, -RW or +RW, so they can be reused). There are many programs to do that editing, with just SOME highlighted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob View Post

P.S.

Found this website which kind of scared me. It says you cannot record Directv dvr to a dvd recorded...but it also in their website so it may be just to discourage it? What do you think?

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11115176

That website is talking about copying from one DVR to another and they even mention that copying to a DVD recorder or VCR is possible except it'll be in std def (SD), which is all any DVD recorder or VCR can record in anyway, so no problemo!

In case your STB/DVR is one that won't output 16:9 WS via its composite Yellow or S-Video outputs (most all Motorolas), which the Mag needs, there are converters to accomplish that, and they also strip CP if the original title(s) on the STB/DVR have such. See this help file on just SOME of those, many others available.

post #7 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just read your instructions on "scene delete, mid-cut 5.A" Man that will be a lifesaver if I can get that down. From what I gathered from your instructions. After I have recorded a show. I play the show (and then following your instructions it will let me pause, edit, and delete a commercial. My question is how hard is it to do. Is this a very timing based procedure where you have to pause it just as the show fades to black and the screen is complete black (because that is very quick often) and then edit out all the commercials and then resume it just as it returns to black? Or is there some button to simply delete the commercial that is playing (probably a dumb question). How does it all turn out? Not too choppy? I'd rather not have to play around with this by transferring it to a computer so I am hoping this is doable. I am sorry for bugging you so much about this, just have to research it as much as I can before I buy and I don't know much about this.

p.s. thank you for setting me straight on the website I saw the words you cant do this and thought I would end up a 300 pound paper weight knowing my luck.
post #8 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

The process you are describing is the process I use to record all of my television. I have 3 DirecTV DVRs, and a number of Panasonic DVD recorders. I use the DirecTV DVR S-Video out connected to the DVD recorder's S-Video in, and record to the internal HDD. I can then easily edit out the commercials (you can even do this while recording using chase play) and then copy the content to a DVD blank at high speed (losslessly). The recording, editing, creating of playlists and copying abilities are very flexable and work very well with the DirecTV DVRs.

You can still purchase Panasonic DVD recorder (EH59/69) at places like B&H. They don't have a tuner usable in the United States, but if you are using a DirecTV DVR, you don't need a tuner. I frequently start a movie playing, start the recorder, enter the duration (movie length) and go to bed. In the morning, it's there for me to edit and burn.

The EH59/69 are $320 and $415, so they are a bit more than the Magnavox. There currently is an open-box EH59 listed at B&H for $240, which is a very good deal indeed. I have purchased more than one open-box item from B&H and have never been disappointed. It's condition is listed as a 9, which is quite good. The open-box items at B&H usually don't last very long. They are VERY popular at the price listed.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 43 Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My opinion: Forget the d***d computer. I had a bad experience with one back in 2002, so I am very biased.

DVD recorders (DVDR); two options.Magnavox 53x series as already noted. Has a tuner which makes recording from over the air channels easy.
Editting? You can mark the START and END points of each scene you want to drop, then DELETE the scene.

To expand- Record the program(s). Then, select the title you want to work on, PLAY to the starting point of scene you want to delete, PAUSE, go forward or backward in play mode or frame at a time to precisely pick the scene start point, press (START) OK, similarly for END. Then DELETE. Do that for each of the scenes you want to delete. You'll soon be able to do it faster than you can read these instructions on how to do it.

Magnavox disadvantages: DELETES are final. And you cannot combine titles or segments.

Option 2, the Panasonic EH59 or 69. As mentioned, does not have a tuner for over-the-air broadcasts in the US. From a dvr or vhs, you'd not use a tuner anyway. Big advantage is the editting capability on the Panasonics. You CAN delete from the source (HDD), but I use and recommend the PLAYLIST feature. In the PLAYLIST, you can select scenes or title(s) from anywhere on the HDD, in any sequence, multiple times if you wish. The Playlist is merely a set of pointers to the source, so takes up very little space. Playlist deletes are in the Playlist only, the source remains intact. PLAYLIST is powerful; learn to use it. Each Playlist becomes a separate title on the dvd.

If your VHS (or any video camera downloads) are from home movies, vacations, family reunions, etc, you may want to combine and arrange scenes by event, by family, and by date, for example. The Panasonic would really shine here! I recommend the Panasonic for its power and ease of editting.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Richard, I agree with everything you have said. I too would recommend the Panasonic. I have a list of PROs and CONs if the OP is interested.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 43 Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both RichardT and Church AV Guy...Now I truly am conflicted between Magnavox and Panasonic. Could you please list the pros and cons you had mentioned? Quite simply I would like to use a dvdr recorder to record off my directv and keep a playlist to save shows on the hard drive. Then let me go to that playlist and pick a show I have recorded and easily edit out commercials (since I am obvious not that familiar with this.) So it doesn't matter if I have a tuner or not? That one option where it lets you cut and delete commercials frame by frame is what I am looking for. So it will go to commercial and let me then go frame by frame and I start with the black frame then cut out all the commercial frames and return it to the next black frame? And then after finalizing it the commercials will be gone for good? Do I have the option to preview how it looks or is too late once I cut. So I would basically do that and then once it is cut the way I want it ..I can then burn it to a dvd? Also would it be possible to take a segment from a different show in the playlist (like a quick preview) and put it at the start of one the other shows in the playlist or is that too much ? Thank you for your help...I think I will see what you say then compare panasonic and magnavox..thank you.
post #12 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe we should clarify some of the terminology. I'm not sure your "playlist" is defined the same as Panasonic's.

A directory of all the titles (files or programs) on the hdd is accessed by "Titles" on the Magnavox. The list of titles to be dubbed (copied) is called by Magnavox a "Dubbing List". All contents of a dubbing list go onto one disc. Each title on the dubbing list becomes a separate title on the disc. No combining of one piece of a title onto a different title on the Magnavox. And yes, you can preview before a delete. Deletes are final, no recovery.

On the Panasonic, the file directory is accessed by "Direct Navigator". A "Playlist" is a "file" you build from one or more titles on the hdd. It is a virtual file, it does not actually exist. A Playlist is merely a list of pointers to various points on the hdd, thus takes up very little space on the hdd. But delete the original source on the hdd, and the portion of the playlist that pointed to that source goes away. Deletes from the source (hdd) are final, no recovery. Deletes from a Playlist can be recovered from the original source, since a Playlist delete makes no change to the source. A Playlist can be copied to a dvd, or simply played and admired. A "copy list" is a list of Titles and or Playlists to be copied to a disc.

Quote:

Also would it be possible to take a segment from a different show in the playlist (like a quick preview) and put it at the start of one the other shows in the playlist or is that too much ? .

On the Magnavox, NO. On the Panasonic, YES, very easily and simple, via PLAYLIST.
post #13 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you both RichardT and Church AV Guy...Now I truly am conflicted between Magnavox and Panasonic. Could you please list the pros and cons you had mentioned?

I think most of your questions but this one were answered already. in brief, the Panasonic EH59/69 has a list of recorded TITLES. You can create from these titles, a very large number of PLAYLISTS (up to 99 I think) You can crate a copylist consisting of TITLES and/or PLAYLISTS to copy/dub to optical DVD media. The editing and copying capabilities are very flexible.

As to the pros/cons I mentioned:

PROS:
You can set the widescreen bit so the any player should honor the aspect ratio of a recording
The save phrase/name feature can remember 20 titles of up to 44 characters each--VERY valuable
plays NTSC and PAL disks (does not convert the format) so if your television is multi format (many are) you can see PAL native
has a feature to group titles
supports relief recording: when recording directly to an optical disk, if you run out of space, it will complete the recording onto the HDD so you don't lose any content
supports auto renewal recording: if you record the same program at the same time every day, or the same day and time every week, you can set the machine to record OVER the previous program so multiple episodes don't pile up and fill the HDD.

CONS:
NO US warranty
NO North American tuner
does not record closed captioning
There is a black level issue (bug) that can make blacks seem gray
The clock and date are European style, 24 hour clock cannot display 12 hr AM/PM type, the date is day.month.year only.

That's about all I have for specific items. If you have a DVR and use the composite/S-Video inputs, it works just like my EH55.

Luke

post #14 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am being convinced to go with panasonic. eh59/69 since I really want something simple that I can record and keep a playlist of my show and then edit out the commercials frame by frame before placing it on a dvd. Now the only problem is finding one. You had mentioned b&h ..sorry I am not really familiar with that, and when I did a search of their website I got various different ones. Would it be possible for you to send me a link? I found this one on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-EH59-250GB-Multizone-Recorder/dp/B0031WRG56

but a number of people say the dvds you record wont work in the united states is that true? That is very scary as it involves investing so much money in with no warranty. Is there a place anywhere that will give a warranty? I would jump at the chance for another one at 250 if you are able to find one, I just cant find a trust worthy site. And have to make sure it will work in the usa. Thank you for your help.
post #15 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

bhphotovideo.com. Excellent price now, $331 with free shipping for the EH59
post #16 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

To expand a bit on your questions, the EH59 will record NTSC (US) or PAL, depending on your SETUP, and input. It will not convert from one to the other. The EH59 does not have a U S warranty. BH gives a 90-day store warranty, 30-day return. Discs, properly recorded, work in the US. The unit will work on 120 volt US. Will probably need an adapter plug which usually is furnished; check your box and packing.

Regarding the $250, from time to time BH or JR may have USED for around $239 plus ~$20 shipping. I bought one used for a friend about two months ago; would not recognize DVD-RAM, so returned it, they refunded my money and I bought a NEW one for my friend. Many players and recorders do not recognize the DVD-RAM, but Panasonc should and didn't so I questioned the stability of the burner.

BH and JR both have excellent reputations from this board and from personal experience. I am sure you'll be happy with the EH59. Your first two PLAYLISTS will be the tough ones; after that they'll be easy and get easier.
post #17 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Prob, this is the link you want to buy the Panasonic EH59 from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659769-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR_EH59GA_K_Multi_Zone_250GB_HDD_DVD.html

B&H Photo Video has been in business for decades, and is a key North American dealer for broadcast, professional and consumer electronics as well as camera and photo gear. Their store is the size of a city block located near Macy's Herald Square here in NYC. A number of AVS members got their EH59 from B&H over the last few years, and all were pleased with both the recorder and B&H. (J&R is also a very reputable dealer, but is less likely at any given moment to have the EH59 in stock.)

Don't be alarmed by those negative Amazon comments: the EH59 can indeed be used in USA/Canada. They were intended for use in PAL countries, but can be easily switched over to our NTSC video system. What the EH59 cannot do is record USA off-air antenna broadcasts, because it only has an analog PAL tuner, but you can record just fine connecting your satellite box to the EH59 line inputs.

DVD recorders are not the most intuitive video devices ever sold to the public: there is a learning curve, so don't be intimidated. There are plenty of Panasonic fans here to answer questions, and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get the hang of it. The Magnavox offers the American tuner and a better warranty, for less money, but takes about as long to learn as the Panasonic would. The Panasonic EH59 has more versatile editing features, making it a better companion to satellite service. The Magnavox is optimized more for off-air recording: all of its advantages hinge on its tuner, which you can't use with satellite.
post #18 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I am being convinced to go with panasonic. eh59/69 since I really want something simple that I can record and keep a playlist of my show and then edit out the commercials frame by frame before placing it on a dvd. Now the only problem is finding one. You had mentioned b&h ..sorry I am not really familiar with that, and when I did a search of their website I got various different ones. Would it be possible for you to send me a link? I found this one on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-EH59-250GB-Multizone-Recorder/dp/B0031WRG56

but a number of people say the dvds you record wont work in the united states is that true? That is very scary as it involves investing so much money in with no warranty. Is there a place anywhere that will give a warranty? I would jump at the chance for another one at 250 if you are able to find one, I just cant find a trust worthy site. And have to make sure it will work in the usa. Thank you for your help.

The URL that I normally use to see the Panasonic DVD recorders at B&H is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=dmr+eh&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

You will see two models listed. On has a larger hard drive, and a few minor additional trivial features. Most people here will talk about the EH59, and forget about the EH69, but if disk size and storage capacity is an assue for you, you might consider it. At least I mentioned it. smile.gif B&H is very reliable. I have done business with them for years, and have never been disappointed. J&R does not carry these items any longer. You can get them at World-Import though:

http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

I have purchased from them, including two DVD recorders. They have been totally reliable to me. They don' t have the B&H reputation, but they have answered questions and I have not been evasive or deceptive. Well, the PAL to NTSC converter they sold me was junk--hardly the "professional quality" that they claimed, but it was what it was, and they didn't make it, they just sold it and I'm sure used the ad copy supplied by the manufacturer.

The DVDs you record with an EH59/69 work in the US as long as you have the TV system set up as NTSC and not PAL. The International Panasonics that I have purchased all came with a small plug adapter (really, costs about a buck!) and they have never given me an issue. The warranty issue was discussed. If you are patient, and if you check ever day or two, EVENTUALLY an open-box EH59 will appear at B&H. Whne it does, get it immediately! They are rare, and don't last long at all. Also, you might be getting someoneses problem (highly unlikely). Most of the returns are from people who either can't figure it out, or who didn't realize that it does not have a tuner compatable with the North American broadcast television system. Those returns are frequently in near perfect condition. The product pages at B&H have customer reviews (some are incorrect about problems/issues with the machines).

The manual can be downloaded here--IF you are patient... smile.gif

https://support.panasonic.co.nz/docstore/dmr-eh59_dmr-eh69%20operating%20instruction.pdf

Luke

post #19 of 43 Old 11-23-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help it has been very appreciated! And thank you for even providing links. It seems to me that the Panasonic will be best for me to use in the USA with directv to record from my directv and edit out commercials before I put it onto a blank DVD. And since you all say that blank DVD will play in regular DVD players and the only real additional things I will need to buy is the adapter ...possibly? I think I should go and get it from BH since they seem to be very reputable and this is a first purchase for me. I will try to find one made in the USA for USA instead of international to avoid all that if possible. Sorry I am sure I have asked some pretty dumb questions it's just all new to me . I think I will shop around and compare prices and then show you all which one I plan to buy, and see if its a good idea. Thank you all!
post #20 of 43 Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, quick question...is the Euro version really better than the American version? Going through the specs at the moment on the site. I know some people said it won't record from TV to dvd because it was meant for overseas. But that is because they have a tuner and mine is satellite (directv). So I don't need to worry about that right? just hook up the HDMI chords I think they were called. I am just wondering if the Euro one is really that much better for what I want , or are they about the same. Just need to record shows, edit out commercials and put on a dvd I can play in any player. Thank you.
post #21 of 43 Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Coming from Panasonic DVDRs I really like their feature set and especially their ability to record up to 4hrs full resolution/SL DVD or if thats not enough they can record almost 4hrs of SP quality or ~7hrs of full resolution LP to DL blanks.
If neither is particularly important to you and your not used to a particular feature set then one of the Magnavox DVDRs would be a much easier(and cheaper) alternative. The main issues around the Magnavoxes seem to be the digital tuner on cable TV(something that won't effect you at all using line inputs) so if I were you I'd order and try one of the Magnavoxes from Wal-Mart.com, if for some reason you don't care for it they are very easy to return at the store. My guess is once you start using one you'll never look back smile.gif
The international Panasonics are much harder to return and may incur restocking fees along with shipping charges.
post #22 of 43 Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

... just hook up the HDMI chords I think they were called...

HDMI is an output for connection to the TV. The Panasonic and Magnavox recorders do not have HDMI inputs. They record through line inputs, S-Video or composite (yellow) video plus the white/red audio inputs.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #23 of 43 Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

So I don't need to worry about that right? just hook up the HDMI chords I think they were called.

The HDMI inputs are forbidden (is that the right word?) in the US and European home-consumer recorder's market.
post #24 of 43 Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

HDMI by definition is High Definition Multimedia Interface. The dvd recorders we are talking about here are SD, Standard Definition, and the Magnavox and current Panasonics provide a DV input for the SD level signal transfer, though the DV is limited to camcorder input. If we talk about HD recorders, we are talking about a different thread and multi-thousand $ prices instead of the multi-hundred for the hdd equipped SD recorders.

Both the current Magnavox and Panasonic have a built-in upgrade to an HDMI output to a tv or other appliance, but is not true HD. That is, it cannot generate HD detail that is not present in the SD input. They may have the HD number of pixels, filled in by interpolation from the SD input.

So NO, current SD dvd recorders do not support HDMI input, and I don't think Component input either.
post #25 of 43 Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I see B&H has raised their price on the EH59, from $331 with free shipping to $319.62 plus about $20 shipping.
post #26 of 43 Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

The HDMI inputs are forbidden (is that the right word?) in the US and European home-consumer recorder's market.
Actually, HDMI inputs are not forbidden -- for example, the Hauppauge Colossus has an HDMI input. They are just required to be HDCP compliant which makes them useless for recording just about anything other than the game output of your Xbox or PS3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

HDMI by definition is High Definition Multimedia Interface. The dvd recorders we are talking about here are SD, Standard Definition,
Don't get hung up on names that the marketing department creates. HDMI is not constrained to HD. It is as perfectly happy transmitting 480i SD as it is 1080p.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27 of 43 Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Don't get hung up on names that the marketing department creates. HDMI is not constrained to HD. It is as perfectly happy transmitting 480i SD as it is 1080p.

No argument there. But why would you want to? Do you know of any equipment with an upper limit of 480i that provides HDMI ports?
post #28 of 43 Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My Panasonic EH59 has an HDMI output. So do many DVD(only) players. I don't use them because I prefer to reserve the limited number of HDMI inputs on my TV and A/V receiver for devices that can actually deliver HD. I feed my EH59 and DVD(only) player to component-video inputs because they provide slightly better color and sharpness than the composite and S-Video inputs.
post #29 of 43 Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

" Anytime one tries to make something absolutely clear, someone will become confused."

Agreed, the EH59, the EH55, Magnavox, and perhaps other recorders and players have HDMI output, repeat, output, but not input. The EH59 Operating Instructions on page 60: "To enjoy High Quality Video up-converted to 1080p, . . ." would indicate that the output is higher than the 480i upper limit I stated in my earlier post.

Input- 480i, no component or HDMI; ouput 1080p, HDMI, composite, component.

In a test with a High Def Canon camera (HV20?) and 32" Polaroid Hi-Def TV as monitor, I could detect no difference between component and HDMI video input other than a very noticeable colorshift.

I am in a recording booth in the basement of our church and using the Canon as our stage monitor, the HD 32" for the sound engineer to observe the colors of the microphones. The video engineer doesn't need high definition, but does need to see what is happening, who is approaching the podium, musicians getting into position, etc. HDMI works fine for the sound engineer, but the Canon outputs HDMI & DV/HDV or component and composite.
HDMI at 1080 outputs DV/HDV at 1080, which I could not cut down to my composite video for the video director. If I downgraded the dv to 480, it also set the HDMI to 480, kind of defeating the purpose of HDMI. If the tv would have had a composite video out, I would have been happy, but some of these things I learned "on the job." So, we strung 3 100-ft lengths of quad-shield RG6 cable for the sound engineer component video, and a composite video cable for the video director. "And everybody lived happily ever after."
post #30 of 43 Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Actually, HDMI inputs are not forbidden -- for example, the Hauppauge Colossus has an HDMI input. They are just required to be HDCP compliant which makes them useless for recording just about anything other than the game output of your Xbox or PS3.

Thanks pal, I'll try to remember this post. smile.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page