TVGOS - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I know it's scant comfort, but you were living (well, using TVGOS) on borrowed time for a while now. Be grateful for having had it for so long. I'm not entirely sure where the revenue stream was (advertising?) but it was not commercially viable to continue the service. frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To my utter bewilderment, TVGOS is back... but for how long?

post #33 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Well, not past April at the latest.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #34 of 43 Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 10
Regarding TVGOS service on Cox Cable in Northern Virginia: I traded a few emails with Rovi back in August - October, 2012 about the TVGOS data for Cox Cable in Northern Virginia. When Cox upgraded their hardware in mid-August, the data stopped being transmitted. Rovi attempted to work with them at that time to restore the data but Cox claimed their hardware is incompatible and could not transmit the data. However, during the first week of October, I suddenly started receiving listings again but only for a few days and then nothing since then. (That would imply that Cox's "incompatible hardware" excuse is nonsense.)

Rovi still claims that TVGOS data is available on Cox for for analog and digital. Use this link http://digitaltransition.macrovision.com/digtrans.aspx?link_id=rightPromo to find your cable provider in your zip code to see if listings are available.

If you have not done a reset on your DVR, DO NOT do a reset. This will cause you channel lineup to disappear and you will likely loose the ability to update the clock. Regardless of whether you do a reset or not, you should still be able to set up manual recordings (and is easier if you still have the channel lineup). I have two Toshiba DVRs and did a full reset on one of them and not the other. (Rovi asked for a full reset to get diagnositc data.) The only real problem with my recordings (other than only having a date/time for the recording instead of the show's title) is that on the machine I did a full reset on, I am no longer able to get the clock updated. (So, during Daylight Savings Time the time did not update and I had to adjust all my recording times). I have not found a way to manually set the clock on the DVR (likely too old firmware that never supported it).

(Sorry -- had not read far enough in the posts to see that Rovi is shutting down TVGOS.)
post #35 of 43 Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
How hard/expensive could it be to keep TVGOS alive, for Pete's sake! VCR Plus was a scam!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #36 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Analog TVGOS supplied on cable was always on borrowed time since the digital transitions. The loss of digital TVGOS will hurt the Sony DHG owners the most because those units are bricks without it -- no way to manually set the clock without TVGOS. Next hit are the DTVPal DVR/CM-7000 DVR owners. Their units will still function without TVGOS but without a full guide it will be more like programming a DVD recorder than a DVR. Also, PSIP time is notoriously flaky and I'm not sure those units have a manual time-set.

+1

Sony owners better hope Sony provides a firmware update to allow you to manually set the time, date, and clock. And a lot of these TVGOS HDD recorders will function squirrelly when you set timer recordings manually. And at this late point in time, the HDD recorder manufacturers will not put effort in future firmware releases to address the problems.
post #37 of 43 Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM

KPIX in San Francisco just unplugged their injector and mailed it back to Rovi. The end of an era is now
post #38 of 43 Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

How hard/expensive could it be to keep TVGOS alive, for Pete's sake! VCR Plus was a scam!

It matters not how hard or expensive it is. If NO ONE is wiling to do the work, and/or pay for it, it will certainly die, and it appears that is happening.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #39 of 43 Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

It matters not how hard or expensive it is. If NO ONE is wiling to do the work, and/or pay for it, it will certainly die, and it appears that is happening.
It's already dead. What's going on now is simply throwing the bodies in the pit a couple at a time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #40 of 43 Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by davygrvy View Post

KPIX in San Francisco just unplugged their injector and mailed it back to Rovi. The end of an era is now
What kind of injector?
post #41 of 43 Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

It's already dead. What's going on now is simply throwing the bodies in the pit a couple at a time.

Oh, I agree completely. I was merely not trying to sound so harsh, but yes, it's already dead and buried.

Luke

post #42 of 43 Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Time of death: January 24, 2013 A.D.
post #43 of 43 Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member