DVD+R didn't work BUT DVD-R worked fine? Why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba DVD recorder hooked to my WII console to sometimes record games. I have BOTH DVD-R and DVD+R discs. When I record using the DVD+R, there is no sound after the disc is finalized............IF I use the DVD-R, everything is fine. Is there a reason for not being able to use +R in my DVD recorder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark40511 View Post

I have a Toshiba DVD recorder hooked to my WII console to sometimes record games. I have BOTH DVD-R and DVD+R discs. When I record using the DVD+R, there is no sound after the disc is finalized............IF I use the DVD-R, everything is fine. Is there a reason for not being able to use +R in my DVD recorder?

Toshiba DVD Recorders and DVD Players manufactured by Toshiba don't support DVD+R media formats.

Toshiba began transitioning to Funai manufactured DVD Recorders around the beginning of 2006. Toshiba branded Funai manufactured DVD Recorders support DVD-R and DVD+R media formats.

While the DVD+R formats began entering the marketplace in the mid-2000s, the DVD Forum, a consortium of manufacturers and other interested parties, first officially recognized the DVD+R formats on 25 January 2008.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes thanks! It's weird. It accepts the DVD+R blank disc......It gives the record time available depending on record mode, and when you press record, it works as normal. Then it finalizes successfully. But, unlike DVD-R, when it's finished finalizing and the menu loads, there's an extra "title" in the menu that's blank.......

Oh well. It's about four or five years old.....Good to know.

Thanks for responding.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If it's four to five years old, has it always done this, or is this a new failure mode?

Many recorders are really finicky about the disks that they like, and the ones that they don't. I have figured out that my Panasonic DVD recorders like T-Y -R blanks, and that is all I purchase. If you find a format and manufacturer that your recordder likes, use it. While some machines claim that they will use any type and brand of disk, they definitely use some more effectively than others.rolleyes.gif Just go with what works.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly - I think it's always done it with DVD+R...........but a lot of time goes by and I don't use the DVD recorder to record, and since I have both types of media I grab one and forget, then I realize my DVD recorder does this with DVD+R............Brand has never mattered. As long as its DVD-R...........I'm not sure what that extra title is when it's done finalizing and then menu comes up.........What happens is the DVD will play, but some chapters have no sound, while others do............I'm just try to remember never to use +R.

The Toshiba DVD recorder is Model # SE-R0265 and I'm guestimating that it's approx five years old. It still works great. KNOCK on wood! I would guestimate that it has recorded about 900 hours or so.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

That extra blank title has been brought up and discussed here in the past, but since I only have Panasonic DVD recorders, and they don't do that, I didn't pay too much attention to those threads. If the search function worked well these days, I'd suggest you do a search on the issue, but since it doesn't...rolleyes.gif Maybe someone here will remember those discussions and report back.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

See, I knew SOMEONE here would have access to that information! smile.gif

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page