MISLABELED JVC TAIYO YUDEN DVD STACKS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In late October I ordered another two stacks of JVC/TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R TYG02 media from Super Media Store.

Today I opened one of the stacks. Much to my displeasure I found that these two stacks have lot numbers of GH000234. Of course, "GH" indicates 16x TYG03 media. I confirmed that these are indeed TYG03 DVDs, see the photo showing the stack label with the Roxio report seen behind the stack.

Visually, these look like TYG02 media in that the hub area is clear rather than silver, as found on TYG03 media.

At the very least this indicates a quality control problem at JVC/TY.

Fortunately, I still have on hand sufficient supply of 8x TYG02 media for use with my stand-alone recorders.

I consider 16x TYG03 DVD-R media satisfactory for use with computer or duplication work.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think that these companies feel like the 16x media IS 8x with a bonus feature. frown.gif I'm sure that is what happened. It's unfortunate, and I hope, not a trend!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 23 Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Today I opened one of the stacks. Much to my displeasure I found that these two stacks have lot numbers of GH000234. Of course, "GH" indicates 16x TYG03 media. I confirmed that these are indeed TYG03 DVDs ... Fortunately, I still have on hand sufficient supply of 8x TYG02 media for use with my stand-alone recorders.

Wow, this is detrimental if it continues. My older Panasonic recorders will not work on TYG03 media, and unlike the thoughtful DigaDo, I have not stockpiled TYG02 media.

I guess in a pinch I can use the Verbatim AZO discs as long as they still remain available, but I prefer TY.

I'll be waiting for more responses before I place another TY order, or else may begin stockpiling AZO. I don't want to be without usable discs before the end-life of my recorders.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 23 Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It is not unheard-of for these dealers to accidentally ship the wrong type of discs, esp with TY which has the most ridiculously generic and hard to identify packaging of any media mfr. Because of this, I only order the 8x media in case lots, to guarantee I get the TYG02 Premium in the plastic capsules. Loose spindles are easily confused in the warehouse.

DigaDo, perhaps you could add a followup to your post with a bit more detail? Two things are unclear: did you receive 16x media wrapped in a package mislabeled as 8x, and later discovered the wrong discs inside when you checked the media ID code with your PC? Or did supermediastore make a simple warehouse-picking mistake, sending you correctly-marked 16x media instead of the 8x you ordered, but you didn't catch the error because of TY's microscopic package labeling? Did you get the hard plastic capsule packaging, or cellophane-only? It would help the rest of us who depend on 8x media to know exactly what kind of issue we're dealing with here. An innocent mistake in shipping is one thing, mislabeled media direct from TY is quite another.

Have you contacted the dealer to explain the problem and request an exchange? If they have you on file as a regular customer, they should accept the discs back for exchange even if months have passed.

Personally, I've encountered a disturbing number of disc burn failures in the case of 600 TYG02 I bought about five weeks ago. The failures happen with my Pioneer recorders, Windows XP desktop, and Samsung and Apple laptops. This is very unusual: I've had the occasional TY02 rejected by a dvd recorder over the years, but I'm getting a 20% failure rate now across all my hardware (doesn't burn to completion, or the disc stutters and won't load or play properly). I've double checked all my gear using some Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x I ordered at the same time, and those discs burn just fine. I really hope TY isn't starting to crap out on us, that would leave Verbatim as the sole reliable 8x supplier, and Verbatim 8x availability is not as good as TY.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I can think of many ways you could get a stack of 16x disks when you ordered an 8x disks, but to get a 20% failure rate out of T-Y disks is very disturbing. Have you tried more than one spindle out of the six in the case? What burn speed are you using? Have you tried to return the disks for replacements? I think you should, if for no other reason than to see if it is a systemic error, or just a bad batch. Since it happens on a spectrum of your DVD writers, it isn't a simple inconsistency. frown.gif

--NOT HAPPY-- mad.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 23 Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Have you tried more than one spindle out of the six in the case? What burn speed are you using?

Yes, I've tried samples from the top, middle and bottom of all six 100-ct capsules that were in the case lot. The percentage of failure varies slightly but I'm wasting roughly 1 out of 5 discs in each spindle due to burn failures. My recorders burn around 7x, my PCs are set to 8x or 6x using IMGburn in WinXP and Win7. I've also tried the AutoMaxSpeed option in IMGburn: no difference.

Quote:
Have you tried to return the disks for replacements?

Unfortunately I can't, because the first thing I do with a case lot of 600 TYs is dispose of the horrible plastic capsules they come in and transfer the discs into 12 50-ct capsules. By the time I noticed the issue, I had discarded all the original packaging, so I can't return this batch to try and see if its an isolated bad batch. BTW, this order of 600 TY and 600 Verbatim 8x did not come from supermediastore but a local eBay dealer in New Jersey: sometimes when I run out I can't wait for SMS shipment from California to NY. Next time around, I'll try to time my ordering so I can use SMS again, and I'll be sure to run more burn tests upfront before trashing the original packaging.

Even before the shotgun marriage to JVC, TY would occasionally let a funky batch slip through. I probably go through two cases of TYG02 per year for various projects, and have had some questionable batches pass thru my hands. One a few years ago had a large number of discs that completely separated upon removal from the spindle, and another crate I received this past summer had random separation patches in the hub area of about half the discs. The burned discs seem to be holding up OK, but the hubs do look a little scary. The data on those discs is not crucial, so if they oxidize prematurely I won't lose anything.

I'm beginning to think Kelson had the right idea when he migrated all his DVDs to BluRay ISO files some time ago...
post #7 of 23 Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm beginning to think Kelson had the right idea when he migrated all his DVDs to BluRay ISO files some time ago...

Well, I cannot fault any of your processes. If we lost the last of the "reliable" DVD sources, I guess the BR solution will go from an option to a necessity.

There is always the Millenniata solution. biggrin.gif

Luke

post #8 of 23 Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...DigaDo, perhaps you could add a followup to your post with a bit more detail? Two things are unclear: did you receive 16x media wrapped in a package mislabeled as 8x, and later discovered the wrong discs inside when you checked the media ID code with your PC? Or did supermediastore make a simple warehouse-picking mistake, sending you correctly-marked 16x media instead of the 8x you ordered, but you didn't catch the error because of TY's microscopic package labeling? Did you get the hard plastic capsule packaging, or cellophane-only? It would help the rest of us who depend on 8x media to know exactly what kind of issue we're dealing with here. An innocent mistake in shipping is one thing, mislabeled media direct from TY is quite another...

It's been some time since I've intentionally ordered TY 16x media. I'm usually quite sure to order TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R media. The first photo shows the packing slip and stack labeling for an older SMS order. Notice that the packing slip and the larger sticker include the number 3911, a designation for 8x "Premium Line" DVD-R media.

Unfortunately I didn't print out my most recent order as it was submitted. Upon examination of the packing slip for this order I find that "VAL" and 3910 appear on the larger sticker. Perhaps I made a mistake when choosing the media. I've found that 8x "Value Line" packaging usually contains 16x media. Notice especially the misleading center hole sticker label "For Professional Use" that designates "Premium Line" media as well as "MID TYG02."

So, my most recent SMS order is actually 16x "Value Line" media. I'll be more conscientious with my next order.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #9 of 23 Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, DigaDo! smile.gif

Your photos of current TY cello packaging will be a useful reference, at least until they change it again.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
I have a question or two about this thread. First of all, I recently placed an order for Taiyo Yuden 8x 4.7 GB DVD-R in a 100 DVD cake box. I purchased it from an Amazon Marketplace Seller in California. What I received were 100 DVD-R’s (tape wrapped, not in a cake box) with NO markings or labels anywhere on the packaging except for an insert in the top of the top of the spindle which says “JVC – For Professional Use, DVD R8X, MID TY02”. I also received two generic 50 DVD empty cake boxes.

The packing slip for the order states: “Taiyo Yuden/JVC 8x 4.7GB DVD-R Silver Thermal in Cake Box (100 pack)”. There was a handwritten notation next to that which said “100 pc’s”, obviously referring to the fact that the DVD’s were tape wrapped in cellophane and not in a 100 DVD cake box as the original Amazon listing and order had stated.

Until I found this thread, my original reaction to receiving them was that they were fakes. I found the serial number on the hub however which is “GH000234”, indicating that indeed they are apparently 16x TY003 DVD’s. My package appears identical to the one which Diga Do posted pictures of in Post #8, except that as I mentioned earlier, mine has NO labels anywhere on the package except for the two small inserts on the top and bottom.

I use my DVD’s for burning programs from my Mag H2160MW9 and MDR513H’s and also for burning material on my computer CD-ROM drives (which are all 8X). From what I am gathering from this thread, the ones I received are “value” level quality and not the “premium” quality which I ordered.

When returning this package, I am assuming that I may get pushback from the Amazon seller who will probably insist that the DVD’s are indeed what I ordered. How can I document that they are really 16x “value” quality and not the 8x “premium” quality which I ordered? I suppose I could always contact Taiyo Yuden at their website but that may take a while for them to respond. My other question is that if I re-order these from Supermedia Store or Rima, what’s to keep me from getting the same TY03’s next time?

I have enclosed pictures below of the Amazon page which I placed the order from documenting that I ordered 8x “premium” quality DVD’s, as well as pictures of what I received. I am not too concerned about ultimately getting a refund since Amazon is pretty good about standing behind their transactions and I have all of the original packaging.

post #11 of 23 Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

I have a question or two about this thread. First of all, I recently placed an order for Taiyo Yuden 8x 4.7 GB DVD-R in a 100 DVD cake box. I purchased it from an Amazon Marketplace Seller in California. What I received were 100 DVD-R’s (tape wrapped, not in a cake box) with NO markings or labels anywhere on the packaging except for an insert in the top of the top of the spindle which says “JVC – For Professional Use, DVD R8X, MID TY02”. I also received two generic 50 DVD empty cake boxes.

The packing slip for the order states: “Taiyo Yuden/JVC 8x 4.7GB DVD-R Silver Thermal in Cake Box (100 pack)”. There was a handwritten notation next to that which said “100 pc’s”, obviously referring to the fact that the DVD’s were tape wrapped in cellophane and not in a 100 DVD cake box as the original Amazon listing and order had stated.

Until I found this thread, my original reaction to receiving them was that they were fakes. I found the serial number on the hub however which is “GH000234”, indicating that indeed they are apparently 16x TY003 DVD’s. My package appears identical to the one which Diga Do posted pictures of in Post #8, except that as I mentioned earlier, mine has NO labels anywhere on the package except for the two small inserts on the top and bottom.
I use my DVD’s for burning programs from my Mag H2160MW9 and MDR513H’s and also for burning material on my computer CD-ROM drives (which are all 8X). From what I am gathering from this thread, the ones I received are “value” level quality and not the “premium” quality which I ordered.

When returning this package, I am assuming that I may get pushback from the Amazon seller who will probably insist that the DVD’s are indeed what I ordered. How can I document that they are really 16x “value” quality and not the 8x “premium” quality which I ordered? I suppose I could always contact Taiyo Yuden at their website but that may take a while for them to respond. My other question is that if I re-order these from Supermedia Store or Rima, what’s to keep me from getting the same TY03’s next time?

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GG" are 8x with a TYG02 MIT.

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GH" are 16X with a TYG03 MIT.

All Taiyo Yuden media production is intended to meet or exceed quality standards for "Premium Line" media. TY media designated "Value Line" starts out as premium line media. TY makes frequent quality checks of media from each production lot. When those checks identify discs that do not meet the quality standards for "Premium Line" media the production lot is set aside as "seconds." Since all the "seconds" already carry the same MIT as "firsts" the end user cannot use the media MIT to differentiate between 8x TYG02 "firsts" (Premium Line) from 8x TYG02 "seconds" (Value Line). The same is true for 16x TYG03 "firsts" (undesignated) and 16x TYG03 "seconds" (Value Line).

It seems to me that TY's practise has been that "seconds" from TYG02 (8x) and TYG03 (16x) lots have been mingled together and labled as "Value Line" commonly identified as 8x (TYG02) and sold with that designation even though most (or all) the DVDs in that packaging might actually be 16X (TYG03) media.

It might be easier to understand the logic behind this by beginning with the notion that 16x media is "higher performance" than 8x media. With that mindset a manufacturer might feel "safer," in a legal sense, when marketing a "Value Line" product of "lower (8x) performance" than as a product of "higher (16x) performance." The SuperMediaStore product description of 8x DVD-R TYG02 "Value Line" media used to include a disclaimer that "Value Line" packaging might include 8x or 16x media.

Beginning in 2008 Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media has been my media of choice for archival recording and mastering or remastering video. TY "Premium Line" media is used in all my Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips stand-alone recorders. Of more than 13,000 home-recorded DVDs currently in my personal archive, around 8,000 are TY 8x Premiium Line DVD-Rs. I don't recall ever having a failed recording where the failure can be attributed directly to a Premium Line DVD.

While TY designates their "seconds" as "Value Line" media, I find this media satisfactory for duplication and computer use when quality and longevity are the most important considerations. TY "Value Line" media has been of consistently better quality and performance than "name brand" media commonly found in retail stores. Admittedly, I've found (perhaps) 20 "Value Line" DVDs that had visible and performance irregularities-with another 50 or so with visible irregularities that did not affect perfomance. (All these irregular Value Line DVDs were from 16x TYG03 lots.) Since I've used around 3,000 "Value Line" DVDs, I think that works out to a "Value Line" failure rate of .0067% (is that correct?). (I've also used other decent media for duplication work, including Verbatim "AZO," Maxell, and Sony; and when DVD longevity is of little importance I've even stooped so low as to use media from "CMC" e.g. Verbatim "Life Series," TDK, Magnavox, etc., but let's keep that a secret, EH?)

As my on-hand stock of TY Premium Line media has dropped below 2,500, I expect to submit a new order to SuperMediaStore in the near future. I prefer the tape-wrapped 8x Premium Line DVD-R TYG02, TY item JDMR-ZZ-SK8 and SMS item DV 001 3911. I no longer order TY media in cake boxes as they are flimsy and hard to open when one wants to open them and often fall open when one wants them to stay closed.

I order DVDs and media accessories through supermediastore.com as their regular prices are reasonable enough, especially with free shipping for orders of $50 or more. There are also sales and special promotions from time to time. Here in the Pacific Northwest the standard free shipping usually provides home delivery two days after the order is submitted.

I'm attaching photos showing the original TY cake box packaging and the current JVC/TY cake box packaging.

post #12 of 23 Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If they sold 16x media in place of 8x I'd also suspect they might have passed the value line off as premium.
I'd return them(or ask for a substantial discount) and after write up a review stating the seller and what you got for what you ordered and how they handled it. I agree with Digado, SMS is top rate and I'd trust them more than just about anyone else.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

TY DVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GG" are 8x with a TYG02 MIT.

TYDVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GH" are 16X with a TYG03 MIT.

All TY media production is intended to meet or exceed quality standards for "Premium Line" media. TY media designated "Value Line" starts out as premium line media. TY makes frequent quality checks of media from each production lot. When those checks identify discs that do not meet the quality standards for "Premium Line" media the production lot is set aside as "seconds." Since all the "seconds" already carry the same MIT as "firsts" the end user cannot use the media MIT to differentiate between 8x TYG02 "firsts" (Premium Line) from 8x TYG02 "seconds" (Value Line). The same is true for 16x TYG03 "firsts" (undesignated) and 16x TYG03 "seconds" (Value Line). It seems to me that TY's practise has been that "seconds" from TYG02 (8x) and TYG03 (16x) lots have been mingled together and labled as "Value Line" often identified as 8x (TYG02) and sold with that designation even though most (or all) the media in that packaging might actually be 16X (TYG03) media. One might understand the logic of such a situation in this manner: If one starts with the notion that 16x media is "higher performance" than 8x media, a manufacturer might feel "safer" (in a legal sense) when marketing a "Value Line" product of "lower 8x performance" than as a product of "higher 16x performance." The SMS product description of 8x DVD-R TYG02 "Value Line" media used to include a disclaimer that "Value Line" packaging might include 8x or 16x media.

I expect to submit a new order to SMS in the near future. I prefer the tape wrapped 8x Premium Line DVD-R TYG02, TY item JDMR-ZZ-SK8 and SMS item DV 001 3911. I no longer order TY media in cake boxes as they are flimsy and hard to open when one wants to open them and often fall open when one wants them to stay closed. (Some of the off brand "landfill grade" media comes packaged in much better quality spindles.)

I prefer to order at supermediastore.com because the regular prices are reasonable enough, especially with free shipping for any order of $50 or more. There are also sales and special promotions from time to time. Here in the Pacific Northwest the standard free shipping usually provides home delivery two days after the order is submitted.

Thanks for the responses. DigaDo, thanks for taking the time to write a detailed explanation. It is very helpful and I appreciate it.

By the way, I did contact the seller for these and here is their response:

"I do apologize for the confusion, we are a direct dealer for Microboards and they assured that JVC is no longer making a value line DVD Silver Thermal. The 8X and 16X product are essentially the same except for the speed. I fully understand your concern and if you would like to send them back, we will send a return label and give you full credit."

They did also offer me a discount if I chose to keep them however I am returning them for a full refund and re-ordering from SMS. By the way, do you know if it's really true that TY is no longer making a "Value" line thermal? I'm not sure what that really means if it's true.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

TY DVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GG" are 8x with a TYG02 MIT.

TYDVD-R media with lot numbers beginning "GH" are 16X with a TYG03 MIT...

Thanks for the responses. DigaDo, thanks for taking the time to write a detailed explanation. It is very helpful and I appreciate it.

By the way, I did contact the seller for these and here is their response:

"I do apologize for the confusion, we are a direct dealer for Microboards and they assured that JVC is no longer making a value line DVD Silver Thermal. The 8X and 16X product are essentially the same except for the speed. I fully understand your concern and if you would like to send them back, we will send a return label and give you full credit."

They did also offer me a discount if I chose to keep them however I am returning them for a full refund and re-ordering from SMS. By the way, do you know if it's really true that TY is no longer making a "Value" line thermal? I'm not sure what that really means if it's true.

I've just revised the earlier post (you quoted) to be more informative (verbose) and reflect on my experience with TY and other media.

In my earlier posts I've mentioned that TY doesn't set out to make "Value Line" media. "Value Line" is TY's designation for "seconds" that have come from the "Premium Line" production line.

As there will always be "seconds" coming off the regular production line the question should be, "what becomes of the 'seconds?'"

Some sellers don't want to deal with "Value Line" DVDs. That's entirelly up to them. I assume that Taiyo Yuden offers price incentives across their product line to sellers that will take the "seconds" along with the "firsts." With this in mind just look at the high prices charged by sellers that don't offer TY "Value Line" media. Since TY doesn't give those sellers the best deal on TY Premium media those sellers have to charge their customers more for TY products. I buy TY and other brand products from SuperMediaStore because they offer reasonable prices, a wider choice in product offerings, and SMS has fast (and free) shipping to my area. That's good for me. I'm a regular SMS customer.

Do I purchase from other sellers? Of course. Shop4Tech sometimes has good deals on media accessories.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

.. they assured that JVC is no longer making a value line DVD Silver Thermal. The 8X and 16X product are essentially the same except for the speed.
I kind of worry about that, I wonder if it means that JVC/Ty is doing what all the mfgs. are going, that is not really testing things and just mixing the seconds in with the good mad.gif
I mean if you don't test the discs, you won't have a source of "iffy" or seconds discs.....
You never see seconds of Memorex/CMC discs......I'd guess the bad are just mixed in with the good(or as good a CMC is that is).
post #16 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Another possibility is that TY could be selling their seconds to another brand, for marketing under a different label. That would make sense to me, if TY wants to be known for only the best quality. Time will tell, though. SMS still has Value Line, don't they? If they don't carry it any longer, we'll know something has happened.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

... I wonder if it means that JVC/Ty is doing what all the mfgs. are going, that is not really testing things and just mixing the seconds in with the good mad.gif
I mean if you don't test the discs, you won't have a source of "iffy" or seconds discs.....
You never see seconds of Memorex/CMC discs......I'd guess the bad are just mixed in with the good(or as good a CMC is that is).

When a company builds a product down to a price (point) rather than up to a (quality) standard, the product is what it is and quality (LOL!) doesn't matter.

post #18 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dig-

Can you give us a link to the SMS page where the eight X discs can be bought?

Also, pls. excuse my bad memory, but what happens with the sixteen X discs in the Maggies?
post #19 of 23 Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Dig-

Can you give us a link to the SMS page where the eight X discs can be bought?

Also, pls. excuse my bad memory, but what happens with the sixteen X discs in the Maggies?

1-Yes, here is the link to the SMS page for TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R media in tape wrap:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/jvc-taiyo-yuden-jdmr-zz-sk8-silver-lacquer-8x-dvd-r-media-premium-line-tape-wrap-100pk

Since I'm logged in at SMS the link might not work correctly unless you log in to your account.

2-I don't let 16x DVDs of any brand near my Panasonic DVD Recorders and HDD/DVD Recorders, or my Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD Recorders, so I'm unable to respond to that question.

post #20 of 23 Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

2-I don't let 16x DVDs of any brand near my Panasonic DVD Recorders and HDD/DVD Recorders, or my Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD Recorders, so I'm unable to respond to that question.

WHY, if you don't mind?
post #21 of 23 Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHY, if you don't mind?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400013/blank-dvd-recomendations#post_21781044

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1273522/using-verbatim-dvd-r-dl-discs#post_19127249

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #22 of 23 Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for responding to gastrof's question.

Today is one of those days where I might have five to ten minutes to visit several discussion groups and respond to those expecting answers from me.

OK, I'm on my way out the door....

post #23 of 23 Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

…what happens with the sixteen X discs in the Maggies?

Using good quality 1x to 16x discs such as T-Y or Verb AZO 1x to 16x discs in a 8x or slowewr recorder will not draw any extra power using a modern recorder with proper firmware. The firmware instructions will just slow the burn speed to what the firmware recommends – this will draw the same laser power as a 1x to 8x disc and no more.

Shown here from Taiyo Yuden’s 2012-2013 literature.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page