How long should the Skip 079 HDD Format take? Philips DVDR3575H/37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just did this on my unit after I was starting to get more system errors on my Philips DVDR3575H/37 (bought a refurb from Philips in approx. 2008). I also upgraded the FE Firmwear to _016.

When I did the Skip 079 to format the HDD, after I pressed Enter the unit stayed on for a few secs. then just shut off. I would think a format of the drive would take a few minutes like a desktop PC. The clock was reset to the default time etc... so I assume something happened but was just wondering if the drive was even formatted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHuff View Post

I just did this on my unit after I was starting to get more system errors on my Philips DVDR3575H/37 (bought a refurb from Philips in approx. 2008). I also upgraded the FE Firmwear to _016.

When I did the Skip 079 to format the HDD, after I pressed Enter the unit stayed on for a few secs. then just shut off. I would think a format of the drive would take a few minutes like a desktop PC. The clock was reset to the default time etc... so I assume something happened but was just wondering if the drive was even formatted .

SKIP 079 is not a "format" as we think about it with a computer. These DVDRs do an "Initialzie" which ID's the HDD and loses all content so it can start over from sector 1. It's a "blip on the screen" compared to a "HDD format."

Skip 013 is more a format that SKIP 079 since it "checks" or works on all sectors/bits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this info, did not see the Skip 013 mentioned.

Just finished the scan/format and all is "OK" except for the HDD Head Check which says "NG :E27"
so the Result also states "NG" which I assume is NOT GOOD (?).

Is this anything to start worrying about or should I get a new Magnavox unit? Maybe a new HDD?

Thanks again for the insight.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHuff View Post

Thanks for this info, did not see the Skip 013 mentioned.

Just finished the scan/format and all is "OK" except for the HDD Head Check which says "NG :E27"
so the Result also states "NG" which I assume is NOT GOOD (?).

Is this anything to start worrying about or should I get a new Magnavox unit? Maybe a new HDD?

Thanks again for the insight.

NO!

My story with a totally "NG" (No Good) HDD:

I got a refurb'd 3575 from another member that had a "glitch" or two on its HDD. It would freeze playback of the first three titles, NEVER completed a SKIP 079, NEVER did a SKIP 013 without finding everything "NG," and was slower than normal on startup and slightly noisier than normal when on.

At first, I just left the first three titles in place to avoid playback problems. Then, I decided to make sure I used ALL the bits on the HDD (after reading expert articles that said it would help prevent "bit fade" if done every year or two), so I just kept recording a 3-hr nightime timer program (talk shows) at HQ until the HDD filled up. I then used HDD Menu > Delete All Titles and did the fill-up again.

After a couple or three fill-ups, the HDD repaired itself to the extent that it was still slow and noisy, but NO playback problem and SKIP 079 and SKIP 013 OK.

All that was about 2 years ago and its still going strong today!

So, I'd advise trying a few "fill-ups" if it's convenient (as it was for me) and see if your HDD will repair itself? Our HDDs have lots of extra sectors just for that purpose.

|
|
|
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, great info and I never have tried to keep more than a few titles on my HDD at any one time.

I usually record a few shows from network tv and a few movies during the week on HBO, Show etc... and have never had more than 5 or 10 saved at any one time. Always thought it was better just to get rid of them when I was done viewing.

Will give this idea a shot!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

**UPDATE**

After filling-up the HD in HQ mode and then deleteing the titles a couple of times, NO MORE disk errors or issues so far!!

Thanks for the great help!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page