Can the Magnavox MDR537H Simultaneously Record? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the Magnavox MDR537H simultaneously record on the HDD and a DVD at the same time? I have a feeling it won't or cannot, but not sure why?
Thanks for any replies or help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've had two hdd recorders a panny and now a maggie. I've never known either to do that.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
None of the DVD recorders I've seen (DVD/VHS or DVD/HDD) allow simultaneous recording on both sides at once: you choose one or the other. I don't think there's any technical reason why they couldn't, the feature must simply not be thought of by mfrs as something consumers demand. OTOH, all the recorders I've seen do allow you to play anything you want on one side while recording on the other, which is a very useful feature for many people.

The only recorder I've ever seen that could record on two media simultaneously was the first JVC DVD/VHS combo, model DR-MV1. This unit went as far as having separate tuners for the DVD and VHS sections, so you could record different channels at the same time. I was always rather surprised that didn't become a popular feature, but it was gone by 2005.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

None of the DVD recorders I've seen (DVD/VHS or DVD/HDD) allow simultaneous recording on both sides at once: you choose one or the other. I don't think there's any technical reason why they couldn't, the feature must simply not be thought of by mfrs as something consumers demand. OTOH, all the recorders I've seen do allow you to play anything you want on one side while recording on the other, which is a very useful feature for many people.
The only recorder I've ever seen that could record on two media simultaneously was the first JVC DVD/VHS combo, model DR-MV1. This unit went as far as having separate tuners for the DVD and VHS sections, so you could record different channels at the same time. I was always rather surprised that didn't become a popular feature, but it was gone by 2005.
Panasonic combo DVDRs up to the EZ series also allowed simultaneous recording of VHS and DVD and while they never had two tuners you could record different sources by using the line inputs. I used this feature a few times on my ES-30v's but like many other features it was dropped on the EZ series frown.gif Panasonics never allowed simultaneous recording on HDD and DVD though, if anyone had this feature it would have been the Toshiba XS series which AFAIK also lacked this feature(I know my XS-35 does).
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pioneers will allow recording to disc, and to HDD, simultaneously. However, the recording to the HDD will be from an input, and the recording to disc must be from something already on the HDD.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
With a pre-E85H Panasonic which did not support native dvd-to-hdd copying, we could connect output connector to an input, select the input and start the RECORD to the hdd, swich to dvd and hit PLAY. Maybe you could do something similar on the Magnavox; what can you lose by trying? But is it that big a problem to record to hdd and then high-speed copy to dvd?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Pioneers will allow recording to disc, and to HDD, simultaneously. However, the recording to the HDD will be from an input, and the recording to disc must be from something already on the HDD.
Today I just discovered my Panasonics will also do this, I can be HS dubbing from the HDD to DVD and at the same time be recording something different to the HDD.
Not that this is something that I'd regularly do but it is possible smile.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page