Panasonic DMR ES30V shuts down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two DMR ES30V recorders. Both now do the same thing. When I start a recording, it records for the first few minutes, then shuts off. The orange numbers showing time and function are off. When I switch it back on, the disc shows 0:00, no time left to record and the disc cannot be played or recorded on again.

I've done the Saint Baz cleaning on one, with no change. I replaced the drive in one recorder a few years ago. Finding used machines isn't easy and the few available aren't cheap anymore. Are there any repair options out there these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
My guess would be one or more of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply are failing. For someone inclined to do soldering(some fairly delicate parts) you could probably fix them for <$10 in parts, otherwise member Mickinct does Panasonic repairs for good prices(although you'd probably have $30-40 in shipping alone).
Check out Digado's thread, titled something like Whither the capacitors) where he talks about capacitor replacement in Panasonic DVDRs. I'll try and fine a link although with the pathetic search function on our new forum it isn't always easy mad.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055111/whither-the-capacitors-in-panasonic-recorders/0_100
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I used to do soldering, I fixed a Philips DVD player last year. My up close vision isn't the greatest, having someone else do the repair would be better. Soldering a 3/4 inch water pipe is easy. A Cap on a PCB, not so easy. Another member here repaired my Channel Master converter box a while back. It's nice to have talented people at hand.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I had a look at the power supply capacitors. None seem obviously blown, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

IMG_4593a.JPG 285k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4593a.JPG (284.9 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Knock on wood all 4 of my CM-7000 CECBs are working fine but I have been reading about a steady increase on the number of capacitor failures in such CECBs.
Also knock on wood all 4 of my ES-30v's are working fine although all but one have very dim displays, one of the first signs of failing caps.

My vision also isn't what it used to be, I never had problems up close but lately I need to remove my glasses and even with that I can't see as good as I did 10 years ago frown.gif

Luckily I was able to fix my secondary PC today. It's a '07 model HP and it just up and died. The fuse checked OK so I took a gamble and purchased a replacement power supply from B&M Microcenter($69 because it was a odd rather small size). For a similar wattage as original it was only $35 at Amazon(it was actually $79 for the wattage I got at MC) but what I liked about MC was the salesman said if it wasn't the power supply I could return it, no problem, I also liked the fact that it was a higher wattage than original. Luckily it was the power supply and other than a few modifications in mounting it, it looks and works like new.
I would have liked to get more than 5 years out of the original PC power supply but I guess things aren't made like they used to be, better than replacing the whole PC which for a similar model would still cost ~$300. It's what I'm using as I type this message.

edit: I see your photo, it's a little fuzzy so it's hard to tell for sure what cap it might be but I think?? in Digado's post he gives the numbers of which caps are most prone to fail.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Forum member Whitebar replaced the bad capacitor(s?) on my Cm-7000. Keep the name handy if or when yours red light.

On the 'Whither the Capacitor' page, DigaDo shows swapping the power supply boards. I have a spare stuffed in a closet here someplace. I found it on eBay for around 25 bucks. It had been dropped and the little door below the VCR 'eject' button is broken off.. The DVD drive is in machine #1. I may try a swap on one of these.

The orange Hello display on machine #1 is very dim. The #2 machine has one side of the Hello dimmer than the other.

I will try to get better pictures of the inside of this machine, Macro mode on the camera blurs too easily.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page