Recording Combined OTA + Analog Cable Signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a relative a 535 for Christmas. They currently get digital OTA via an antenna (SoCAL) and analog cable channels via a 2nd separate coax input to their TV.

Do I need to combine the signals into one, then feed the 535 ANT-IN and scan using "digital/analog cable" option? Or do I keep the signals separate and just feed the analog cable coax to the 535, then to the TV and scan using only the "analog cable" option?

They have a digital set, but it's a 4x3 display, so wide-screen programs are letterboxed. The analog cable is 4x3 and would show fullscreen on their set, so I think they would be happy with that option.

Thanks,
RangerDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

You won't be able to combine OTA and cable channels, as described in my tests here.

I guess they'll have to decide which they'd prefer to record with their new Mag... the digital/HD channels they'll get with antenna, or the all analog channels with their current cable sub. They've also got a 4:3 TV to consider in that decision.

Their all-analog cablesub. now might very well have some digital channels as well, like my basic cable sub: 55 analog channels and 33 digital/HD channels, with NO digital pkg. If they have a digital-tunered TV or can borrow one, they can connect their cable directly to the tv, scan for channels, and see if they get some digital/HD channels as a bonus. That would certainly skew their deicision to cable on the Mag?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Wajo - Thank you for the quick reply. My gut feeling was that combining OTA + cable in a single coax would not work.

My guess is they will go with the analog cable signal as that carries the primary local channels (CBS, NBC, etc) plus basic cable (Comedy, TNT, TBS, etc). The 4x3 set was one of the first digital-capable sets on the market 6+ years ago when they got it. The like viewing the larger fullscreen picture vs. the smaller letterbox screen, too.

RangerDave
post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

See my edited last para. for an interesting possibility,,, or do they already know that?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDave View Post

I'm getting a relative a 535 for Christmas. They currently get digital OTA via an antenna (SoCAL) and analog cable channels via a 2nd separate coax input to their TV.

Do I need to combine the signals into one, then feed the 535 ANT-IN and scan using "digital/analog cable" option? Or do I keep the signals separate and just feed the analog cable coax to the 535, then to the TV and scan using only the "analog cable" option?

They have a digital set, but it's a 4x3 display, so wide-screen programs are letterboxed. The analog cable is 4x3 and would show fullscreen on their set, so I think they would be happy with that option.

Thanks,
RangerDave

This post describes some of my dual and triple connectivity setups with digital tuner recorders and analog tuner recorders connected to cable converter boxes and/or ATSC tuners:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/14700_60#post_20664673

This post uses a staged photo to illustrate dual connectivity:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1277737/dvd-recorder-for-cable-ota/0_60#post_19214250

This might be some food for thought.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page