DVD Recorder with TV tuner only analog (NTSC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Please, I would like someone to tell me which models of DVD recorders have the feature mentioned in the description below. Suggested models because of the quality are important.

Well,

I live in Brazil and I would like to purchase a DVD recorder, but with following feature: it may not have the option of digital signal on RF input, i.e. the signal on RF input, nor can be converted to digital standard. Thereupon, I explain why.

About 100% of Brazil have not digital signal and the manufacturers aren't going to develop a circuit that converts analog signal in the Brazilian standard to digital signal in the American standard. The analog signal in Brazil is Pal-M. Though is "Pal", it is very different from the European standard and there isn't piece (electronic circuit) with RF input/output to this type of conversion.

Then, so that I can see the image in colors, the signal must be converted to the NTSC standard, in other words, the RF (IN) must have the video output in NTSC analog standard.

If it didn't get very understood, below I increase other details.

At the TV tuner part will be put a board to deflect the video signal. This board will receive the Pal-M signal from source and will convert it to the NTSC signal. The signal converted will pass to video output of the tuner. It is because the tuner cannot have the digital option (being converted to digital standard).

Best Regards
metralha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please guys,

Is there not somebody that knows what are DVD Recorders with the specification I described above?

How can I know that detail?
metralha is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I might be able to help but i first need to read your post a few times to properly understand it. My first thought it a Panasonic EH59/69 though. I know they do have PAL analogue tunners but just not sure if its PAL-M??? Now that i think of it i think its only PAL B, G, I D, K

Dont you have set top tuner boxes for your country? you could feed one of these to a DVD recorder via AV cables.

update -
Ok i have had more time to think on this. It sounds like you want to record your TV stations onto DVD
- brazil TV is broadcast in PAL-M
- you say no one makes a DVD recorder for brazilian market with a PAL-M analog tuner
- you need a device that will recieve/record PAL-M but output NTSC to your TV

May i ask, if brazil broadcasts PAL-M, why do you need to convert this to NTSC? It would seem odd if the broadcast standard is PAL but everyone has NTSC TV's/displays.

How do people in Brazil normally recieve PAL-M analog?

I assume you have PAL-M tuners in built into your TV's. Do you also have set top boxes that recieve PAL-M? If you do and there is one that has a AV output (composite or s-video) you can then connect this output to any international type DVD recorder and record from your STB. Most of these DVD recorders wil allow you to make a PAL or NTSC DVD and will output PAL or NTSC signal to your TV aswell.

Another option is to get an old brazilian VCR with PAL-M analog tuner. Use this tuner to recieve your TV but rather than record to VHS, just connect the output of the VCR to a a DVD recorders line in AV inputs and record onto HDD/DVD that way.

Anyway, i hope i have understood what you want to do correctly
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I might be able to help but i first need to read your post a few times to properly understand it. My first thought it a Panasonic EH59/69 though. I know they do have PAL analogue tunners but just not sure if its PAL-M??? Now that i think of it i think its only PAL B, G, I D, K
Dont you have set top tuner boxes for your country? you could feed one of these to a DVD recorder via AV cables.
update -
Ok i have had more time to think on this. It sounds like you want to record your TV stations onto DVD
- brazil TV is broadcast in PAL-M
- you say no one makes a DVD recorder for brazilian market with a PAL-M analog tuner
- you need a device that will recieve/record PAL-M but output NTSC to your TV
May i ask, if brazil broadcasts PAL-M, why do you need to convert this to NTSC? It would seem odd if the broadcast standard is PAL but everyone has NTSC TV's/displays.
How do people in Brazil normally recieve PAL-M analog?
I assume you have PAL-M tuners in built into your TV's. Do you also have set top boxes that recieve PAL-M? If you do and there is one that has a AV output (composite or s-video) you can then connect this output to any international type DVD recorder and record from your STB. Most of these DVD recorders wil allow you to make a PAL or NTSC DVD and will output PAL or NTSC signal to your TV aswell.
Another option is to get an old brazilian VCR with PAL-M analog tuner. Use this tuner to recieve your TV but rather than record to VHS, just connect the output of the VCR to a a DVD recorders line in AV inputs and record onto HDD/DVD that way.
Anyway, i hope i have understood what you want to do correctly

Hi Cyclone82,

I am grateful for your cooperation,

Well,

That I said in post was what a technician informed me, in other words, it was a technical information.

But as you didn't understand well what I put, then I can clarify more details what I undertood him.

Here in Brazil, the analog TV broadcasting system is Pal-M and although be Pal as European or Middle East system, both are very different. Because of this he (technician) said that the manufacturing of a circuit that transcodes from Pal-M to Pal (European or Middle East) signal would cost very expensive becoming it impracticable, then there isn't on the market a circuit that works of this way with TV tuner.

The Panasonic models EH59/69 don't have the Pal-M signal.

The TV system more compatible with Pal-M is the American NTSC because only the video signal is transcoded (only color frequency). My TV device has both standards: Pal-M and NTSC.

However, there isn't compatibility between the Brazilian analog TV system and the American digital TV standard (ATSC). Because he said that on circuit (RF input), the electrical part that functions as output video signal, should be in NTSC analog standard and not converted to ATSC digital.

He said that some DVD Recorders are produced with that conversion from NTSC to ATSC on the RF input.

Regarding the use of a set-top-box with TV tuner, I can tell that is much cheaper to buy a DVD Recorder with the specification informed above than a device of that, having still the possibility of using as a DVD Recorder.

again, thank you
metralha is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
.

In Australia we have PAL B & G i believe but in April 2013 it gets turned off nation wide. Well i think i know what you want now. Basically you want a older American DVD recorder with a NTSC analog Tuner i think?

The american guys on this forum will be able to suggest models, but i am quite sure most will be 120volts only. Is brazil 120volts? if not you will need a voltage converter. But then you may a have a frequency problem too. I am not sure if a DVD recorder would be sensitve to this.

I still think your best option would be just to get a set top box from your country that recieve your RF singals and then send that to a DVD recorder via composite or s-video. A bit like some USA members do with the EH59 panasonic.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Super Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Although Brazil ’s PAL-M and American NTSC scan rate frame rate and resolution is the same (525/60) aka 480i @29.97fps - the colour sub carrier is different and you won’t receive a colour signal using NTSC tuners with PAL-M signals. In fact the frequency might be a little different as well.

You need a Brazilian cable/sat STB and output via line outputs to a PAL-M DVD-r or to a PC

Do any of the international Panasonics handle Brazilian PAL-M?

Edit:
You said your TV has both PAL-M and NTSC capabilities but American DVD recorders and other American NTSC consumer equipment is not capable of sending or receiving a PAL-M signal. As far as I know -- no American DVD recorder will accept PAL-M signals.
Super Eye is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Surely in recent yearss Panasonic has made/marketed/sold a DVD recorder that is for Brazilian standards for sale in Brazil?
I dont really know how specific PAL and NTSC standards are when it comes to AV recorder inputs. I thought when ever they sday you can record NTSC and PAL via line inputs it generally means all PAL and all NTSC. None of my manuals specifically say that they can not record certain types of PAL or certain types of NTSC.

I would be trying to find the Panasonic Brazil site (if you are indeed looking for a Panasonic) and downloading some manuals from there or even just contacting their customer support.

http://www.panasonic.com.br/

So going by your first post, Brazil is not migrating to digtial TV like many other countries and is staying with Analogue.

Here is info on PAL-M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

Why PAL-M

NTSC being the "natural" choice for countries with monochrome standard M, the choice of a different colour system poses problems of incompatibility with available hardware and the need to develop new television sets and production hardware. Walter Bruch, inventor of PAL, explains Brazil's choice of PAL against these odds by an advertising campaign Telefunken and Philips carried out across South America in 1972, which included colour test broadcasts of popular shows (done with TV Globo) and technical demonstrations with executives of television stations.[1]

[edit] Compatibility

PAL-M signals are identical to North American NTSC signals, except for the encoding of the colour carrier. Therefore PAL-M will display in monochrome with sound on an NTSC set and vice versa.

PAL-M is incompatible with 625-line based versions of PAL, because its frame rate, scan line, colour subcarrier and sound carrier specifications are different. It will therefore usually give a rolling and/or squashed monochrome picture with no sound on a native European PAL television, as do NTSC signals.

[edit] PAL-M systems conversion issues

PAL-M being a standard unique to one country, the need of to convert it to/from other standards often arises.
Conversion to/from NTSC is easy, as only the colour carrier needs to be changed. Frame rate and scan lines can remain untouched.
Conversion to/from PAL/625 lines/25 frame/s and SECAM/625/25 signals involves changing the frame rates as well as the scan lines. This is achieved using complicated circuitry involving a digital frame store, the same method used for converting between NTSC and the 625/25 standards. The fact that the colour encoding of PAL-M and PAL/625/25 is the same does not help, as the entire signal goes through an A/D-D/A conversion process anyway.

[edit] PAL 60

The PAL colour system (either baseband or with any RF system, with the normal 4.43 MHz subcarrier unlike PAL-M) can also be applied to an NTSC-like 525-line (480i) picture to form what is often known as "PAL-60" (sometimes "PAL-60/525" or "Pseudo PAL"). This non-standard signal is a cheap method used in European domestic VCRs and DVD players for playback of NTSC material on PAL televisions. It's not identical to PAL-M and incompatible with it, because the colour subcarrier is at a different frequency; it will therefore display in monochrome on PAL-M and NTSC television sets.

The analog PAL-M is scheduled to be supplanted by a digital high-definition system named Sistema Brasileiro de Televisão Digital (SBTVD) by 2016.


After reading that i now dont think any DVD recorder outside Brazil will be capable of accepting PAL-M on its line inputs. It must be PAL 625 lines or NTSC..
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think this might work for you? I have not studied the manual yet.

Its made by Cypress/CYP you probably can find it sold by other brands too who put their name on it.

https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=CM331T

You would then need to connect it to a DVD recorder

The output looks to be a PC RGB output with 3.5mm audio. You would need cables/convertors to then convert this to composite/s-video and stereo RCA audio to connect to a DVD recorder. Sort of a clunky way to do what you want but i reckon it would work. I bet there are other similar devices around too. I just stumbled across this tonight. I have spoke to the guys on that site and they are nice to deal with.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

.
Basically you want a older American DVD recorder with a NTSC analog Tuner i think?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

.
but i am quite sure most will be 120volts only. Is brazil 120volts? if not you will need a voltage converter.
No problem. Here is also well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

.
But then you may a have a frequency problem too. I am not sure if a DVD recorder would be sensitve to this.
The only problem from PAL-M signal to American NTSC signal is that. For that reason, the expert technician in audio and video said me that audio output in the RF input must be analog and not digital (ATSC).

Actually, the RF input of the DVD Recorder will receive the signal in Pal-M and, through a board that is added on the part RF input, the signal is converted to the NTSC standard and the device will work in NTSC for all. This is a way called "deviation of the signal". I believe that in the rich contries it doesn't exist.

That is the reason whereby cannot be a device that converts the signal to digital standard in the RF input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

.
I dont really know how specific PAL and NTSC standards are when it comes to AV recorder inputs. I thought when ever they sday you can record NTSC and PAL via line inputs it generally means all PAL and all NTSC. None of my manuals specifically say that they can not record certain types of PAL or certain types of NTSC.
Most of electronic devices are made to the market of the rich contries because the people have great purchasing power. Only Brazil broadcasts Pal-M. Other nations South American broadcast Pal-N signal, that is also very different from Pal and Pal-M signals. When the manufacturer informs the product is compatible with Pal, actually, it doesn't mean that is compatible with All Pal, but only where this signal was originned.


Thank you for the help
metralha is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Although Brazil ’s PAL-M and American NTSC scan rate frame rate and resolution is the same (525/60) aka 480i @29.97fps - the colour sub carrier is different and you won’t receive a colour signal using NTSC tuners with PAL-M signals. In fact the frequency might be a little different as well.
Hi Super Eye, I thank your collaboration.

As I told previewly, because the difference between Pal-M and American NTSC is only of color frequency that is more practicable to be in NTSC than digital or in other Pal system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Edit:
You said your TV has both PAL-M and NTSC capabilities but American DVD recorders and other American NTSC consumer equipment is not capable of sending or receiving a PAL-M signal. As far as I know -- no American DVD recorder will accept PAL-M signals.
The recording will be done in American NTSC. As I explain above, the unit will "receive" the Pal-M signal through one board that will be added in the unit and this board will transcod the signal to NTSC. The device will continue working in NTSC. Only this detail will change.

Then, could you tell me what are DVD Recorders have that specification? Detail: don't forget that RF input must be totally in NTSC (American analog system).

Best Regards
metralha is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metralha View Post

Then, could you tell me what are DVD Recorders have that specification? Detail: don't forget that RF input must be totally in NTSC (American analog system).
Best Regards

Try the Magnavox 5XX series, they have a full NTSC tuner for Cable and OTA, however, I do not know about the Brazilian voltage/power, is the same of Mexico or more like the Argentinean?
profhat is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Super Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok sorry for the misunderstanding metralha. I’m in Canada (same NTSC / ATSC / QAM standards as the USA) Over here we had a Sony and Toshiba DVDr with tuners but I think the Sony is not available anymore and they took the NTSC ATSC tuners out of the Toshiba.

Like profhat stated – The USA has the Magnavox and maybe some US member can chime in and see if any other NTSC tuner recorders still available in the US?

If you can only us coaxial RF input to record – you could go A/V into VCR RF out to DVDr but all these conversions along with the PAL-M to NTSC conversion you need prior to this set-up would probably result in a significant quality loss. I would consider some PC option instead.

PS
My country may be rich but I certainly aren't.
Super Eye is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I still reckon that a USA NTSC Magnavox or equivalent wont accept a PAL-M signal on through RF on the American DVD recorder. I dont think i can help anymore on this but please when you find a solution that works for you, please report back here with what you did because i am sure interested to hear how it did or did nt work out for you.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Super Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I still reckon that a USA NTSC Magnavox or equivalent wont accept a PAL-M signal on through RF on the American DVD recorder.

It won’t. But he said he has a conversion board to go out of the PAL-M tuner (or cable box line out?) and convert into a NTSC RF frequency - ready to input into a device with NTSC tuner's RF-in such as the magnovox DVDr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metralha View Post

Hi Super Eye, …the unit will "receive" the Pal-M signal through one board that will be added in the unit and this board will transcod the signal to NTSC….

I guess the board will convert the PAL-M tuner's signal or cable box composite line-out into NTSC and output via CH3 or CH4 analog. It only has to convert the colour sub-carrier frequency but I too question the final quality and think he would be better off with some sort of PC solution for archiving.
Super Eye is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CitiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've been waiting to post an answer to this thread because I found the question incredibly confusing at first, but now the OP has posted more clarifying details I think I finally understand what is going on. This issue of Brazil being the only nation on earth using PAL-M, and the spec of PAL-M essentially being NTSC with a modified color carrier, seems bizarre to most of us here and I don't recall it coming up before in any other video forums.

metralha, I believe what you are trying to tell us is that it is common in Brazil to slightly modify North American NTSC devices to convert PAL-M signal reception into full NTSC. You do this by installing an extra circuit board in the RF receiving section, which converts the color carrier into NTSC-compatible form, then blends the converted color with the main part of the PAL-M signal which is really NTSC in disguise. The signal is then passed as newly-integrated NTSC to the actual tuner, and from there to the recording circuit. BUT, for this simple modification to work, the recorder must have RF inputs with analog NTSC tuner: you can't use line inputs like we do here with the Panasonic EH59.

Have I understood you correctly with the above? If so, I think we can finally give you a complete answer.

There is only one last confusing point we need to clear up: your friend who will do the modification for you has been very insistent that the DVD recorder must have an analog NTSC tuner, not digital ATSC. This I understand. However, all NTSC recorders sold in USA since 2006 have had dual-band tuners that receive BOTH analog and ATSC. Your friend may not know this, and might believe the new tuners are only digital ATSC. That is not true: they will also receive analog, so if they do not sense ATSC digital broadcasts they revert to their analog tuning band instead.

Please ask your friend to answer this question: does the recorder simply need the ability to receive analog NTSC, so it is OK for the recorder to have both analog and digital tuners? Or, would the extra ATSC tuner interfere with his modification even if it is not being used?

I ask this because it will determine whether you can buy a brand new recorder, or will need to find an old used one. New recorders have both analog AND digital tuners, like the Magnavox MDR533 DVD/HDD unit that costs $208 (US). If your friend tells you he can only modify recorders with analog-only tuners, you will not be able to get a new recorder: units with only analog NTSC tuner were all discontinued six years ago. You would have no choice but to buy a 2006 or older model from eBay, like Panasonic ES series or EH55. Newer analog-only models by Sony and LG were still sold in Canada until 2008, the Sony RDR-HX780 being especially nice, but these are not as common as the Panasonics.
CitiBear is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
It won’t. But he said he has a conversion board to go out of the PAL-M tuner (or cable box line out?) and convert into a NTSC RF frequency - ready to input into a device with NTSC tuner's RF-in such as the magnovox DVDr.

Well yes that should work then i guess.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Try the Magnavox 5XX series, they have a full NTSC tuner for Cable and OTA, however, I do not know about the Brazilian voltage/power, is the same of Mexico or more like the Argentinean?

Hi profhat,

In Brazil is the same of Mexico, but is very different of the Argentina.

But that brand, Magnavox, I don't know. Could you tell me the its quality? (if it is bad, good or excellent) It used to occur very problem with it.

I get thanked for your help
metralha is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Try the Magnavox 5XX series, they have a full NTSC tuner for Cable and OTA, however, I do not know about the Brazilian voltage/power, is the same of Mexico or more like the Argentinean?
In Brazil is the same of Mexico, but is very different of the Argentina.

But that brand, Magnavox, I don't know. Could you tell me the its quality? (if it is bad, good or excellent) It used to occur very problem with it.

I get thanked for your help
metralha is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Ok sorry for the misunderstanding metralha. I’m in Canada (same NTSC / ATSC / QAM standards as the USA) Over here we had a Sony and Toshiba DVDr with tuners but I think the Sony is not available anymore and they took the NTSC ATSC tuners out of the Toshiba.
No problem. I know that my words were confused, but as my English isn't good and I don't know the expressions used to say correctly, so I had to do that I did: putting the more possible detailed of that the man told me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

If you can only us coaxial RF input to record – you could go A/V into VCR RF out to DVDr but all these conversions along with the PAL-M to NTSC conversion you need prior to this set-up would probably result in a significant quality loss. I would consider some PC option instead.
I think in the DVD Recorder because it is more practical. The quality loss in the Pal-M to NTSC isn't significant and regarding the use of PC, this here in Brazil is a lot more expensive and difficult to configure (software) becoming a desktop recorder more convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

PS
My country may be rich but I certainly aren't.
I didn't say you are rich. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

I guess the board will convert the PAL-M tuner's signal or cable box composite line-out into NTSC and output via CH3 or CH4 analog.
No, it isn't. The channels will be changed through own DVD Recorder. The board will be built-in in the device.

Thank you
metralha is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I dont think i can help anymore on this but please when you find a solution that works for you, please report back here with what you did because i am sure interested to hear how it did or did nt work out for you.
Well,

I don't know what you can think of interesting in that biggrin.gif. I know that there in Australia there isn't that type of procedure (you buy an external tv tuner and ready - the great purchasing power of you allows that). But here in Brazil isn't/wasn't uncommum to do that type of adaptation. Brazil, like any other underdeveloped country, don't make electronic products with advanced technology. Then, I know that that works. biggrin.gif

In any case, if you want I report back here something, I will do that. I don't know only if you want I tell you or if you want I show for you.

Now, I say you only one thing: it will delay a little because the American currency is high, then I am purchasing USD bit by bit to make that purchase. Probably at the beginning of the next year (January or February).
metralha is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

I've been waiting to post an answer to this thread because I found the question incredibly confusing at first, but now the OP has posted more clarifying details I think I finally understand what is going on.
I understand. As I said previously, my English is nothing good. I had to put the words in a way that you could understand what I was intending to say thereof the man told me. He isn't my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

This issue of Brazil being the only nation on earth using PAL-M, and the spec of PAL-M essentially being NTSC with a modified color carrier, seems bizarre to most of us here and I don't recall it coming up before in any other video forums.
That doesn't seem bizarre. It IS BIZARRE! The Brazilian government does anything to damage the Brazilian people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

metralha, I believe what you are trying to tell us is that it is common in Brazil to slightly modify North American NTSC devices to convert PAL-M signal reception into full NTSC. You do this by installing an extra circuit board in the RF receiving section, which converts the color carrier into NTSC-compatible form, then blends the converted color with the main part of the PAL-M signal which is really NTSC in disguise. The signal is then passed as newly-integrated NTSC to the actual tuner, and from there to the recording circuit. BUT, for this simple modification to work, the recorder must have RF inputs with analog NTSC tuner: you can't use line inputs like we do here with the Panasonic EH59.
Yes, it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

There is only one last confusing point we need to clear up: your friend who will do the modification for you has been very insistent that the DVD recorder must have an analog NTSC tuner, not digital ATSC.
I apologize if the way like I expressed caused a bad gloss/sensation. It wasn't my intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

However, all NTSC recorders sold in USA since 2006 have had dual-band tuners that receive BOTH analog and ATSC. Your friend may not know this, and might believe the new tuners are only digital ATSC. That is not true: they will also receive analog, so if they do not sense ATSC digital broadcasts they revert to their analog tuning band instead.
Well,

He didn't tell me some about that. He spoke me only that there is DVD Recorder that receive the NTSC signal by RF input and on this circuit the signal is converted to the ATSC system to be recorded in the digital system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Please ask your friend to answer this question: does the recorder simply need the ability to receive analog NTSC, so it is OK for the recorder to have both analog and digital tuners? Or, would the extra ATSC tuner interfere with his modification even if it is not being used?
Ok, I will ask about it for him on Monday because he nor cited some about it.

Thank you very much
metralha is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Well,

I don't know what you can think of interesting in that . I know that there in Australia there isn't that type of procedure (you buy an external tv tuner and ready - the great purchasing power of you allows that). But here in Brazil isn't/wasn't uncommum to do that type of adaptation. Brazil, like any other underdeveloped country, don't make electronic products with advanced technology. Then, I know that that works.

In any case, if you want I report back here something, I will do that. I don't know only if you want I tell you or if you want I show for you.

Now, I say you only one thing: it will delay a little because the American currency is high, then I am purchasing USD bit by bit to make that purchase. Probably at the beginning of the next year (January or February

I am not really interested for the fact it could help me with any of my set up but i am just curious to hear how it all works out for you. I find this stuff interesting even if it is not entirely relevant to me. I like the possibllity that i may learn something new.

Also many people come on here with problems but they often do not report back with info on how it all worked out for them and if they fixed the problem. If someone is searching on Google and finds this site and has the same problem as you then the can see what your soloution was.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I called today to the technician and he said me the device needs only a NTSC analog TV tuner so that it can do the recording in NTSC. He said me also the ATSC standard doesn't cause interference on reception of the signal because the transcoder board will send the signal appropriated to the circuit in NTSC.

Nevertheless, I am not thinking to buy a new model. A model that doesn't used to occur problem, in my opinion, is a good choice.

Best Regards
metralha is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metralha View Post

Hello,
I called today to the technician and he said me the device needs only a NTSC analog TV tuner so that it can do the recording in NTSC. He said me also the ATSC standard doesn't cause interference on reception of the signal because the transcoder board will send the signal appropriated to the circuit in NTSC.
Nevertheless, I am not thinking to buy a new model. A model that doesn't used to occur problem, in my opinion, is a good choice.
Best Regards

In that case just go for the Magnavox... since you have equal AC power than Mexico (which is the same of the USA) you only will need to plug it and play with it.

Check this link http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575 and go to 11. SELLERS & SUPPORT
profhat is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

In that case just go for the Magnavox... since you have equal AC power than Mexico (which is the same of the USA) you only will need to plug it and play with it.
Check this link http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575 and go to 11. SELLERS & SUPPORT

Hi profhat,

thank you for the information.

I am reading that thread gradually and I thought very interesting. The best of all is that USD got a strong fall in the its value making it easier to purchase USD to acquire a device.

Thank you
metralha is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Well, in those last times, I was looking the DVD Recorders forum and I noted that there are some recorders with component input, as for example: Magnavox models MRV700, 660 and 640; Philips DVDR985, DVDR77 and DVDR80; and another Sony device.

As the companies stop making it mad.gif, there are each time minus on the market to buy and the Sony device is the one more difficult to find.

Please, as I got interested to acquire a recorder that also has such input, I would like to know you, guys, what do you think the better option?

If someone has one that is fully working and that accepts to sell to Brazil, we can come to terms.

Thanks

have a nice new year
metralha is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
metralha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi for all,

Well,

I bought a Philips DVDR75, model that has component input, and it arrived on last Monday. I did already the tests and it is working very good, only the remote control that is universal and I had difficulties to operate with it and also didn't keep to access the system of the recorder, but I kept to record normally.

Now, I need only to send it to a technician to do the transcodification of the RF and composite video input. At least the technician told me that the component input doesn't need to be transcoded because it has only one standard, that is the American, and the s-video input they don't transcode.

Here is a photo of the device inside (without the transcoder board):

metralha is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Metralha-

Do you want your recorder to receive digital TV or analog TV?

In your first post you said something about the American digital standard.

Is Brazil using the same digital TV standard as the United States?
gastrof is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Wow, check out that cooling fan atop the DVD drive, never seen that before!
AFA "transcoding" not sure what that means but it sounds like it's for the black level? N. America uses a different standard than the rest of the world(ours is +7.5 IRE brighter) for composite and S-video(SD) while like you said component is 0 IRE the world over(as far as I know).
jjeff is online now  
post #30 of 30 Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metralha View Post

Hi for all,

Well,

I bought a Philips DVDR75, model that has component input, and it arrived on last Monday.

Component input? Well done! I guess is very common in Brazil to change the tuners/RFs/Firmwares of the devices just to match the local standard. Just image if we can do that with our Funais... (for a better ATSC tuner) or with the international Panasonics Recorders... eek.gif
profhat is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off