$1000 on Ebay for a Panasonic EZ48V---WHY? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to ask WHY people are willing to spend so much money on Ebay for a Panasonic EZ48V DVR/VCR? I periodically check the Ebay listings, and these models are selling BRISKLY, often in the range of $700 to $1,000. I really am shocked at the insanely high prices.

I admit that I recently purchased this model (factory-sealed) on Ebay for nearly $800, but I was simply looking for a good quality DVR/VCR. They don't sell quality DVR/VCR combos at stores anymore, so this seemed to be my only choice.

I realize that the Panasonic EZ48V was recently discontinued. Someone on this forum posted that there are some people who absolutely cannot live without a VCR/DVD combo. Are people willing to pay TRIPLE the original retail price just to have this model? Is there something special about the EZ48V? The one that I bought records and plays back good quality pictures on both VHS and DVD.

I guess because people can no longer buy this item in stores (discontinued) they are willing to pay up to $1,000 just to have the EZ48V combo? Is it a collector's item or something? Why are people willing to spend so much money for this product? Are they anticipating the value of this item to INCREASE in the future? It's hard for me to believe that anyone would actually spend OVER a thousand dollars just to own a Panasonic EZ48V!

I know that I probably was ripped off on Ebay in that I overpaid for this item. That's unfortortunate, but such is life. At least I got a good quality VCR/DVD recorder that hopefully will last for a little while. Obviously I'm not the only person who is getting ripped off with these outrageous prices.

Does anyone know WHY people are willing to pay so much money for this DVR/VCR combo? I know that most people think that VCR's are obsolete, so I'm curious as to WHY people are willing to spend so much money on this model.

Thanks for any answers.

Eva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Ebay is Ebay, I have no idea why things sell for what they do. AFA the EZ-48v being a collectors item, NOT a chance, my guess is most will be junked within 5 years or less, they just aren't that well made.
Don't get me wrong, I love Panasonics and believe they(including the EZ-48v) can make excellent recordings and have features found on very few if any other DVDRs but personally I really don't like the EZ series. I've had quite a few and the only ones I believe are worth the trouble would be the EZ-28(basically a EZ-48v without the VHS side and a few of the EZ-48v's quirks) and the very hard to find tunerless EA-18(basically a EZ-28 less the tuner and most of the bugs on the EZ-28). Currently I have a EZ-28 which I use occasionally(IMO it's really the only Panasonic with a digital tuner I believe is worth owning) but personally I much prefer the pre '07 ES(and even better EH(with a HDD)) model Panasonics. The only problem with the pre EZ models is they don't have the digital tuner, which for some can be very handy. For a couple years I lived with a EH model Panasonic and a external digital tuner(after having tried many EZ series Panasonics and giving up on them) but currently I'm doing basically all my timeshifting on a Tivo HD and only use my Panasonics to offload(copy from) my Tivo among other things.

A couple years ago they couldn't give away the EZ-48v models, most of which were refurbished(read, someone tried it and promptly returned it because of all it's quirks and bugs) so I can't really explain why the sudden price increase on places like Ebay. I've been watching a EZ-48v listing on my local Craigslist, it's been around for quite some time(although the seller keeps listing it as if it's fresh) but personally I wouldn't touch it unless it was in the $25 price range, and even then it would have to be close, no driving across town.

IMO Panasonics worst models would be, in order of worst:
EZ-47v, EZ-17/27, EZ-48v with a slight nod to the EZ-28. On the flip side, the best: EH-55, EH-50, EH-75v, with a big nod to the EH-59/69 which are wonderful machines but being international have a few caveats for N. American use. The older pre EH series HDD Panasonics were also quality machines but they lacked full D1 resolution LP which is a major point for me so I shy away from them.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 AM

Liked: 14
People are now going nuts in Australia for these too now, but not at prices in USA.. Theres got to be a element of panic about it. I was reading here http://www.digitalready.gov.au/Households/how-do-I-switch/accessing-digital-tv/equipment-wizard.aspx today and the Au governtment still recognises that many people still use VCR's. i was pretty shocked to see VCR's mentioned there and CRT's. I feel the digital switch over here has been a way too long drawn out process here. Even plain set top boxes are not as common anymore. Its all PVR's/recorders with HDD's and people who have only had VCR's probably find it daunting to make the change. People should have been coaxed away from VCR's years ago but it never happened for the general public. So i think a lot of people want the EZ48 to still hang onto a VCR for a little while yet

The reason i got mine is because i left it too late to buy a brand new VCR and that was my only option besides a Samsung or LG combo. I recally only wanted it for the 'VCR' so i could play tapes as i still often buy tapes that are not on DVD or if a film is only available un-cut on VHS. Since then i have picked up a virtually brand new Japanese JVC from 1998 or 1999 and another very lightly used slightly newer JVC from USA.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva14 View Post

I admit that I recently purchased this model (factory-sealed) on Ebay for nearly $800, but I was simply looking for a good quality DVR/VCR. They don't sell quality DVR/VCR combos at stores anymore, so this seemed to be my only choice.

Is there any particular reason why you need a combo? I think most of the buyers of those on eBay are convinced that they need both devices in one unit to make what they need to do work. Unfortunately, I think most are impulse buying without realizing there is an alternative that can be more effective. Either that or they're really pressed for space in their setups, but spending that much money for a device that listed for around or under $300 is insane to me.

You can still get a quality DVD recorder in the Magnavox series available through Walmart and others, and then pick up a VCR off Craigslist or eBay for $30 or so (and there still are decent, working models.) That's a total of under $300. For a setup that would have the hard drive an EZ48V would lack. That would make tape dubbing a cinch, and would still record to DVD and VHS (just on separate devices), and all the versatile functions you get with a hard drive recorder. And if you get the right VCR, it's likely to last longer.

Sure, space might be a premium, but for the $500-$700 difference, I would have made the room. eek.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, space might be a premium, but for the $500-$700 difference, I would have made the room

Yeah i know, i read a lot of people want all in one devices and want less clutter but don't realise they are getting 2 average units in the one.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As I responded in your other thread, it is largely an emotional decision made by people who can either afford to throw the money away or are so convinced this is the *only* acceptable unit for their needs that they are willing to go into hock to acquire it. More often than not, after the initial wave of panic buyers subsides, this type of price inflation wanes and average selling prices of about half the original retail (or less) slowly become the norm again. The EZ-48V is not a "collector's item" or "cult model" in the sense that some older DVD/HDD models are (such as the Panasonics jjeff mentioned, various Toshiba XS models, and later Pioneers like the 550). Those are highly coveted units, but even there some sanity prevails: they were all discontinued at least 4 years ago, "used" examples are not horribly expensive anymore on Craigs List ($100 average) and predatory sellers can only get inflated prices on eBay for mint or new-old-stock units still in box with all accessories. eBay prices are also higher due to human nature: people are damn lazy, and can't be bothered to check Craigs List first (where prices are a fraction of eBay for the same second-hand electronics). eBay is easier to search, and eBay sellers will ship (Craigs List is usually local pickup only). Some items like the final Canadian-exclusive Pioneers had almost zero availability in USA, so USA-resident Pioneer fanciers will still spend close to the original $429 retail for a used 550 while the same unit constantly sells in Toronto pawnshops for $100 or less. Supply + demand x location = price.

The EZ48V price inflation is more due to recent clear signals from Panasonic that it has ceased production and will not offer anything comparable in future. As Tulpa pointed out, your typical non-geek consumer has absolutely no clue that you can easily copy VHS using a separate VCR connected to a DVD or DVD/HDD recorder (or PC), often with better results than a combo deck. The general public is mistakenly convinced that a combo recorder is the only way to make DVD copies of VHS, so those models have always been the most popular,. (Another big emotional influence is the INTENSE desire most women have for the least amount of clutter that's humanly possible: there is incredible resistance among women toward having a separate VCR and DVD recorder in the living room, they MUST have the one-box combo.) But over the past couple of years, the "better grade" DVD/VHS combos with digital tuners have dropped out of production one after the other, until only the Magnavox aka Toshiba twins and the Panasonic EZ48V were left. Flawed as the EZ48V is, its still rather better than the other two and the Panasonic brand name is much more appealing to many prospective buyers. Most of the people who want one now and are willing to pay dearly already own one and are terrified of being stranded without a backup if it breaks.

The bizarre listing price trends on eBay can distort the overall picture: only 1 in 10 sellers is actually getting buyers at those prices. In reality, your typical consumer no longer has any interest in DVD recorders or VHS vcrs. If they did, Panasonic would not have discontinued the EZ48V, since it is easy money for them (having been designed years ago and all upfront costs amortized). The current mass market evidently can't support continued production, so Panasonic stopped. Pretty much everyone with a large VHS collection has long since converted it to DVD, discarded it, or stockpiled enough VCRs that they don't care about digitizing their tapes. All anyone wants today is cheap BluRay players that can download NetFlix movie rentals, as far as recording goes the mass market has moved on to subscription cable/satellite PVRs in North America or BluRay players with integrated HDD recorders in Europe/Australia. Not many consumers are interested in recording their own physical media library anymore: they either buy convenient DVD sets of their favorite TV shows at the end of each season, or record / download them using various PC options. When iPads replaced portable DVD players, that killed the last remaining mass market for DVDs (just as the iPod killed CDs).
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My advice from September 2009 is still valid today, see these two posts and the discussions that follow them:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1014536/official-panasonic-dmr-ez48vk-thread/960_60#post_17129059

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1014536/official-panasonic-dmr-ez48vk-thread/960_60#post_17136103

The main difference is the newer HDD/DVD models from Magnavox. Wajo's sticky thread is a wealth of information concerning these Magnavox recorders. Start here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 AM

This is what really annoys me
Saw a DVD recorder on ebay I was slightly keen on and saw in their history they were selling them for less a few weeks ago. Asked if they had many left which they did not. Checked back today and they bumped the price up another $5! Anyway i made a offer $25 less than the current price and see if they will take it. I hate it when they get greedy like that. i have never seen this behavior before. It seems with any electronics goods, as soon as it becomes and old model the prices just keep going up rather than drop because its outdated and they want to clear them out.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page