Slim Jewel Cases? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm presuming a lot of people here store at least some of their DVDs in the CD/computer size jewel cases (versus the larger DVD cases).

Are there any recommendations where to get some decent slim jewel cases? I finally used my last one & did some searching for price & availability. To me a jewel case was a jewel case. But there sure are a lot of negative reviews about being flimsy & hinges easily breaking, etc.

I have some Verbatim black DVD cases & they actually smell & not in a good way. So don't want to end up with smelly plastic jewel cases.

All the B&M stores are around me so if anyone has suggestions as to what is decent or what to stay away from I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My local Wal-Mart has clear slim jewel cases. I forget the brand name. There are always a couple broken ones in a 30-pack, but they're cheap enough.

Other than that, if you don't mind ordering online, there's Meritline, Rima, Supermediastore, etc.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
post #4 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You have some good answers to your question. Individual cases are good for distribution discs, those you give away.

I have problems with my own discs, What's on them? and Where is it? I just finished cataloging my first 155 discs, with 1 to 6 (or more) titles on each disc. I've numbered each disc and am storing them in 12-disc cases. I have the Start and End disc # on the case spine, so I'll be able to look up the title in my catalog and go directly to the disc. I record a bit from Public Television; do I already have this program recorded? Hopefully, my catalog will easily answer that question. I also assign a "Category", the machine it was recoded on, the mode (High Speed, Flex Record, . . .), and the 8x, 4x, or 16x disc rating.

Trying to get my wife to classify and/or organize her Sewing and Cooking discs.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mike99, I hate jewel cases. they are flimsy, and hard to use. Poly cases are where it is at. The slim ones are easiest to find. Super Media Store and Rima usually have them. They are the same size as jewel cases, but they are much stronger. You can get them with a plastic outer sleeve, which makes it much easier than jewel cases, to install your cover. You can find them to hold two, four, and even 6 DVDs, making it convenient to package a season of TV shows, or a series of films.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have previously purchased discs from supermediastore.com. I just hate to pay shipping on a package of jewel cases, & possibly get some broken during shipping.

But I did try to look at what they have but am having trouble searching supermediastore. Frequently I'm stuck on an empty page & it states transferring data. I've walked away & came back & it's still transferring data. It does have Supermedia's name on it but it's blank where the products are suppose to be.

The link provided by joed32 does the same thing. IOW just a constant empty page.

I've tried this for the last few days with the same results. Since I don't have problems with any other website I have to presume supermedia has a problem. I'll try again later.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Amazon (w/free shipping).

Fry's, Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, Sam's, Costco.

Have no idea how any of them are, but their websites should have some reviews.

post #8 of 29 Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The slim cases I use are these.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/cd-case-dvd-case-poly-case-slim-double-200

They are 5.2mm thick, and store two DVDs per case.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 29 Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Aahhh! Another polycase guy!
post #10 of 29 Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I have previously purchased discs from supermediastore.com. I just hate to pay shipping on a package of jewel cases, & possibly get some broken during shipping.
But I did try to look at what they have but am having trouble searching supermediastore. Frequently I'm stuck on an empty page & it states transferring data. I've walked away & came back & it's still transferring data. It does have Supermedia's name on it but it's blank where the products are suppose to be.
The link provided by joed32 does the same thing. IOW just a constant empty page.
I've tried this for the last few days with the same results. Since I don't have problems with any other website I have to presume supermedia has a problem. I'll try again later.

That's strange because I just clicked on it and it was fine. Have you tried using Google to search and the clicking on the link there?
post #11 of 29 Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

When I buy poly cases, I buy enough so that shipping is free.
post #12 of 29 Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/cd-case-dvd-case-poly-case-slim-double-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Aahhh! Another polycase guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

When I buy poly cases, I buy enough so that shipping is free.

If you prefer, a very similar item is also available with two clear sides, so you can see through the shell to what is printed on the disks. The ones I listed above have a transparent sleeve for placing a label. These are more brittle plastic, like a jewel case, so they are more prone to having a hinge break, but they are what they are, and at 5.2mm for two disks, they are the most compact jewel-like cases I know of.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/slim-clear-double-cd-jewel-case-200

The clear ones are bout $0.23 each, the black ones are only $0.115 each, which is about the least expensive jewel-type case Supermediastore sells. At two disks per case, it is twice as cost effective as this single disk case:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/mini-cd-dvd-slim-jewel-cases-8-cm-fc-200pks

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 29 Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's what I ended up getting from Staples, 100 slim cases for $19.99. But wait there's more.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-5mm-Slim-Jewel-Cases-100-Pack/product_478455

I've been saving up ink carts for quite some time, figuring to "cash" them in at some point in time. I turned in 10 carts to Staples & eventually got $20 in Rewards dollars which I used for the cases. They deduct the Rewards from the $19.99 which meant I owed nothing, & since I paid nothing there was no tax either. I ended up with 100 cases for free.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Ordered the 1000 pack, using code BD509235 for $5 off. They seem to work really well, and should help decrease the storage area I need by half.

Thought about getting the clear ones, but they were twice the price, and the black cases should help eliminate light exposure.

Thanks for mentioning these! I was originally using the slim jewel cases, but will now transfer to the poly cases.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #15 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Ordered the 1000 pack, using code BD509235 for $5 off. They seem to work really well, and should help decrease the storage area I need by half.

Thought about getting the clear ones, but they were twice the price, and the black cases should help eliminate light exposure.

Thanks for mentioning these! I was originally using the slim jewel cases, but will now transfer to the poly cases.

You're welcome. I have enjoyed using them, and I hope they work out for you.

Luke

post #16 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's too bad they don't make this exact same item in clear poly frown.gif
post #17 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

I agree. The closest they offer is the 5.2mm Slim Double Clear CD Jewel Cases (hard plastic) at double the price.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #18 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. The closest they offer is the 5.2mm Slim Double Clear CD Jewel Cases (hard plastic) at double the price.

Even at $0.23 per unit, it's not a bad deal for the clear ones. I agree, the black ones keep out the light.

Luke

post #19 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge with 3 orders of the 5.2mm black poly double cases. Now I just need to come up with a new methodology for labeling them. Before it was just a black sharpie numbering the front of the clear plastic 5mm jewel cases. I guess I could use a silver sharpie.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

For quickies / giveaways / audio CDs, I often use the Staples 50-pack or its Walmart equivalent (with hub printable watershield white or silver inkjet Taiyo Yudens). I haven't seen the 100-packs at brick & mortar locations in Canada.

For more serious projects, I'll make a proper case with printed insert.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the 100 pack at a brick & mortar store in the Chicago suburbs. It has 50 clear & 50 assorted colored cases.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well, they ARE made, and, sometimes SMS has them. They are also usually available from Meritline. I prefer the clear poly with a clear sleeve. I print my own labels, and slip them under the sleeves. I also buy them from LDBMART.com. There are also quad poly cases available, CD sized. I use those for TV series, and film series.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

For quickies / giveaways / audio CDs, I often use the Staples 50-pack or its Walmart equivalent (with hub printable watershield white or silver inkjet Taiyo Yudens). I haven't seen the 100-packs at brick & mortar locations in Canada.

For more serious projects, I'll make a proper case with printed insert.

That's what I use for jewel cases - I like the pretty colors. cool.gif

As for durability, I've found that when I drop any jewel case on a hard surface, it breaks. Plus, even the "slim" cases take up more shelf/drawer space than I care to give up these days. So mostly what I use now are these polyvinyl sleeves (also in pretty colors). Protects the disc, won't shatter when I drop it, as flat as you can get. I got a couple of packs as freebies from Supermediatstore a few years ago, and I've since bought more, while the last 100 pack of slim jewels I got at Staples a couple years ago hasn't even been opened.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got these in the mail yesterday. I wish I had known about them sooner. Now just gotta figure out what to do with my hundreds of old single, hard plastic slim jewel cases. smile.gif
post #25 of 29 Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now just gotta figure out what to do with my hundreds of old single, hard plastic slim jewel cases.

I have the same problem. what do you do with hundreds of single slim-line jewel cases? The plastic is rather brittle, and the hinges are pretty small, so they are not very robust--their impact resistance is pathetic. Overall, a rather poor design really.

Luke

post #26 of 29 Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the same problem. what do you do with hundreds of single slim-line jewel cases? The plastic is rather brittle, and the hinges are pretty small, so they are not very robust--their impact resistance is pathetic. Overall, a rather poor design really.
First impression: They do have an odor, but not unbearable. I hope that whatever is causing that odor doesn't interact with the DVDs themselves and shorten their longevity. I have noticed that a handful of them will not stay closed, but overall, it's worth it to double my storage space. Having the clear outer poly sleeve on both sides is a nice touch, making labeling very easy and flexible.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just got these in the mail yesterday. I wish I had known about them sooner. Now just gotta figure out what to do with my hundreds of old single, hard plastic slim jewel cases. smile.gif

Welcome to the wonderful world of polycases with sleeves! As to those fragile slim jewel cases, use those when you give DVDs to friends.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have noticed that a handful of them will not stay closed ...

The hubs that hold the discs, interlock also when the center of the case is gently squeezed together. After doing that, the case will remain closed.

post #29 of 29 Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The hubs that hold the discs, interlock also when the center of the case is gently squeezed together. After doing that, the case will remain closed.
I realize that, but I'm talking about the 4 tabs, 2 at each outer corner. Some of them were broken off, so the corners would not stay completely closed, leaving a gap for dust to collect. About a dozen of them out of a 200-pack were like that, and the cardboard box they came in was slightly damaged...I'm sure that is what caused the broken tabs. I'll be emailing SuperMediaStore to see if they will do anything about it. At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it can't hurt to ask.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page